Author Topic: User Names  (Read 54175 times)

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #50 on: May 20, 2008, 09:39:53 PM
So, uh, Russel, on that regeneration thing, your avatar wouldn't happen to indicate that you might know a little more on that front, would it, perchance?
Sorry, N-sh's been kept busy running the universe so I've been heading up R&D and not being omnipotent myself makes it hard for me to keep him updated.
It's still a few years out, but we have some very promising results.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #51 on: May 20, 2008, 10:26:41 PM
So, uh, Russel, on that regeneration thing, your avatar wouldn't happen to indicate that you might know a little more on that front, would it, perchance?
Sorry, N-sh's been kept busy running the universe so I've been heading up R&D and not being omnipotent myself makes it hard for me to keep him updated.

Not really.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #52 on: May 21, 2008, 03:31:57 AM

Not really.

Nice catch.  Another pile of crap exposed.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #53 on: May 21, 2008, 04:16:30 AM
Pixie dust? The bird is gone, already flown away. I need anti-pixie dust. :P

H. Bergeron

• Palmer
  • COACH! Check this out!
Reply #54 on: May 21, 2008, 07:03:20 AM
I figure, being new here, I'll throw in my own two cents.  I used to use the nickname "Smegalicious," until I realized people kept either being disgusted or making jokes about Red Dwarf, which (I am a little shamed to admit) I am not actually familiar with.  So I changed to my current user name, which I stole from a short pun I read somewhere.

Word of the day: ignoranus, noun, someone who is both stupid AND an asshole.

I just find it amusing.

Formerly Ignoranus - now too big for my britches, literally and figuratively.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #55 on: May 22, 2008, 11:22:03 AM
I figure, being new here, I'll throw in my own two cents.  I used to use the nickname "Smegalicious," until I realized people kept either being disgusted or making jokes about Red Dwarf, which (I am a little shamed to admit) I am not actually familiar with.  So I changed to my current user name, which I stole from a short pun I read somewhere.

Word of the day: ignoranus, noun, someone who is both stupid AND an asshole.

I just find it amusing.

Ha, ha!  That's smegtastic!   I have to tell you, I sympathize on the reluctance to check out Red Dwarf.  I had a lot of people try to push it on me, and it just looked really stupid... but then I watched it and laughed for weeks.

It definitely benefits from low expectations, but if you can stand the main character's whiny Scouser voice (and really, that's part of his charm) it's definitely worth renting a disc or two.  But go in expecting to hate it.  ;)

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

zZzacha

• Peltast
  • Did I just say that?
Reply #56 on: May 22, 2008, 12:09:23 PM
I've had this name for ages. Or rather, my real name Sacha that has been with me for quite some time now. When joining a MUD in the late 90s, I soon discovered that the username 'sacha' was already in use. That's when I came up with the brilliant notation zacha. Just recently, I started using zZz because I love the sound of 'z' [when it's done right].
It funny that Sacha isn't a common name in the US and mostly, it's a boy's name [which I'm not. I'm not a boy's name] but I've run across some Americans who's last name is Zacha.

-zZz-

It is never too late to be what you might have been.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #57 on: May 23, 2008, 02:41:00 AM
I've had this name for ages. Or rather, my real name Sacha that has been with me for quite some time now. When joining a MUD in the late 90s, I soon discovered that the username 'sacha' was already in use. That's when I came up with the brilliant notation zacha. Just recently, I started using zZz because I love the sound of 'z' [when it's done right].
It funny that Sacha isn't a common name in the US and mostly, it's a boy's name [which I'm not. I'm not a boy's name] but I've run across some Americans who's last name is Zacha.

-zZz-

In America, we seem to pretty strongly identify the name Sasha with unbelievably gorgeous Slavic women... and for some reason, most American parents don't want to name their sons after unbelievably gorgeous Slavic women.  Must be a Cold War holdover...

H. Bergeron

• Palmer
  • COACH! Check this out!
Reply #58 on: May 23, 2008, 04:45:41 AM

-zZz-

In America, we seem to pretty strongly identify the name Sasha with unbelievably gorgeous Slavic women... and for some reason, most American parents don't want to name their sons after unbelievably gorgeous Slavic women.  Must be a Cold War holdover...

I had never thought about it deeply, but I (also American) can kind of see what you mean.  I don't know if I quite agree, it's just that... It's just not a common name.  Then again, I grew up in Vermont, which is still pretty conservatively 'traditionally American' in a lot of ways, despite the strange political inclinations of some of the population.

zZzacha

• Peltast
  • Did I just say that?
Reply #59 on: May 23, 2008, 08:29:13 AM
In America, we seem to pretty strongly identify the name Sasha with unbelievably gorgeous Slavic women...

Maybe my parents had something in mind when they named me Sacha... Though I'm not sure you can really force a way of life for your child by giving him/her a certain name. At least, not in this world!
I didn't grow up to be Slavic antway :[

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #60 on: May 23, 2008, 11:20:20 AM
Well, I'm sure you've both noticed that we're all about the "branding" here.  We chose unusual names for our kids, and I get about 50/50 "wow, cool names" and "what are you, crazy?" reactions. 

I have to admit, we have a "Séamus", and he constantly suffers the American inability to handle pronunciation.  He's become very adept at gently and respectfully correcting adults - "Not 'see-mus', but 'shay-mus'" - and kids alike.  But most of the time he likes having a unique handle.

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #61 on: May 23, 2008, 11:40:34 AM

I seem to have missed out on this, do I have to turn in my American card now?

However, I have only met one real-life Sascha.  He was male, German, and a jackass.  None of which seem to apply to our zZzacha.

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #62 on: May 23, 2008, 11:44:52 AM
Well, I'm sure you've both noticed that we're all about the "branding" here.  We chose unusual names for our kids, and I get about 50/50 "wow, cool names" and "what are you, crazy?" reactions. 

I have to admit, we have a "Séamus", and he constantly suffers the American inability to handle pronunciation.  He's become very adept at gently and respectfully correcting adults - "Not 'see-mus', but 'shay-mus'" - and kids alike.  But most of the time he likes having a unique handle.
gotta ask did anyone else think of andromeda reading this post?

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

I am not sure if Life is passing me by or running me over

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #63 on: May 23, 2008, 11:57:38 AM

I seem to have missed out on this, do I have to turn in my American card now?

However, I have only met one real-life Sascha.  He was male, German, and a jackass.  None of which seem to apply to our zZzacha.

Wait... you all seem to be implying that Americans are not one huge, monolithic bloc of people with identical experiences and attitudes.  Could this be true?  Are we all... different ... from each other?  My God... the implications are HUGE!

I'm going to go over here in my corner and be different, now.  ;)

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #64 on: May 23, 2008, 12:13:23 PM

Hehe. Reminds me about the old joke about giving your daughter a name spelled "Shevaughn", but insisting people pronounce it "Siob-han".

See, the joke is that Gaelic is pronounced differently from English. Ahahahaha! I crack me up.

On a more serious note, our daughter's name is Isabella, which turned out to be more common than we expected. But when we tell people that our front-runner for a boy's name is Bram, they tend to look at us funny...

Science means that not all dreams can come true

zZzacha

• Peltast
  • Did I just say that?
Reply #65 on: May 23, 2008, 12:25:23 PM

*smooch* That's so sweet! I love the 'our zZzacha'  :]

zZzacha

• Peltast
  • Did I just say that?
Reply #66 on: May 23, 2008, 12:28:36 PM
I read somewhere that we don't even have to be in a corner to be different these days! Man, these are exciting times. So much is happening to this society, I love it.

H. Bergeron

• Palmer
  • COACH! Check this out!
Reply #67 on: May 23, 2008, 11:28:00 PM
I read somewhere that we don't even have to be in a corner to be different these days! Man, these are exciting times. So much is happening to this society, I love it.

Hey, here in America we ALWAYS go into corners to be different.  Stop trying to change things for us!  Your alterations to our way of life are unwelcome!

Russell Nash

Reply #68 on: May 24, 2008, 10:44:02 AM

Hey, here in America we ALWAYS go into corners to be different.  Stop trying to change things for us!  Your alterations to our way of life are unwelcome!

Things are better now.  It used to be that everybody who wanted to be different had to go into the closet.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #69 on: May 24, 2008, 05:54:25 PM

Hehe. Reminds me about the old joke about giving your daughter a name spelled "Shevaughn", but insisting people pronounce it "Siob-han".

See, the joke is that Gaelic is pronounced differently from English. Ahahahaha! I crack me up.

On a more serious note, our daughter's name is Isabella, which turned out to be more common than we expected. But when we tell people that our front-runner for a boy's name is Bram, they tend to look at us funny...

My eldest was supposed to be "Brianna", but we met about 12 of those (under the age of two, even!) during the pregnancy, so we modified our choice, and named her for the town we were in when we first decided to get married.

Sure glad we didn't make that decision in Pocatello or Dundalk!

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #70 on: May 24, 2008, 07:53:48 PM
I can beat that!

Before I was born, my parents were living in the Scottish county of Ross and Cromarty, and my parents two picks for my name were "Ross" and "Cromarty". As they tell it (and I'm not sure how much to believe this), their next-door-neighbour had a dog named Cromarty, so I got to be called Ross!

To be honest, had things worked out differently, I think I'd have rather been named after the dog next door, than called Cromarty

Science means that not all dreams can come true

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #71 on: May 24, 2008, 09:21:56 PM
I can beat that!

Before I was born, my parents were living in the Scottish county of Ross and Cromarty, and my parents two picks for my name were "Ross" and "Cromarty". As they tell it (and I'm not sure how much to believe this), their next-door-neighbour had a dog named Cromarty, so I got to be called Ross!

To be honest, had things worked out differently, I think I'd have rather been named after the dog next door, than called Cromarty

"We called the dog 'Indiana'!" :)

You definitely lucked out on that deal, tho.  My wife claims to have gone to school with a girl called "Taco"... that's right: surname "Bell".

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #72 on: May 24, 2008, 09:51:21 PM
One of my closest friends is named Bram. It's a good name.

Original Digga

• Extern
Reply #73 on: May 25, 2008, 01:01:39 AM
In my case, my username is derived from my stage name.  That's what I've used when performing / recording & I've used it on the internet since my 1st webmail account.

I can't think of a time when the username was reserved or unavailable either. 

Salutations

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #74 on: May 25, 2008, 03:31:20 AM
In my case, my username is derived from my stage name.  That's what I've used when performing / recording & I've used it on the internet since my 1st webmail account.

I can't think of a time when the username was reserved or unavailable either. 

I can't wait to see the avatar that goes with it... I'm picturing a cross between Dig-Dug and Riley from Boondocks!