Author Topic: Needs a Trim  (Read 3536 times)

scarcrow

• Extern
on: December 15, 2012, 06:14:27 PM
Hello all!

Back in October I started a story which I'd hoped to post for PseudoPod.  Problem is the word count by the end turn up to 8,416, which is waaaaay past the limit for a PP release.  I'd finished it by the  31st so I could dedicate November respectively to NaNoWriMo, and then turn my attention back to the previous story for editing.  For the life of me I have no idea how to cut this down!  Hells, even as I edit I seem to be adding more words rather than subtracting.  I admit, my personal editing skills are only a few modest levels below par but enough so I can give it its proper due before handing it to someone else (a trusted friend at best) to skim over it and note anything my eyes may have missed.  But everything I try to do to skim this down I just can't seem to get rid of enough words to meet within the requirements for submission.

If anyone out there has any suggestions as far as editing techniques or whatever, please please please shot them my way.  I will be gratefully appreciative of any advise you have to offer.

Thank you.

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 09:15:00 PM
Well, keep in mind - perhaps it's just at the natural length it needs to be at and cutting more would do violence to a well-composed story.  Something to consider...

scarcrow

• Extern
Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 11:00:13 AM
I admit, I've not considered this.  Maybe I could separate this into a part I/part II type of story...

eytanz

Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 12:18:55 PM
It seems to me like you're at the stage where you should be handing it over to someone else to have a look. Maybe they'll be able to see something you can't.

SBC-B

• Peltast
    • Author Page
Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 09:00:38 AM
What can also help is to set it aside for a few weeks. Coming back to a project with fresh eyes can be a huge help, and you might find that the clever little passages you adored don't serve the story as well as they should. It's easier to kill your darlings if they've had time to age.