Author Topic: Questions, Comments, Concerns?  (Read 74575 times)

bjander4

• Peltast
Reply #125 on: March 01, 2013, 08:25:40 PM
Schrodinger's internal editor: before sending my stories to the podcast, I firmly believe that these are the best and worst stories that have ever existed. Please open the box and tell me which it is! (I'll also accept "kind of in the middle there" and "average" as possible answers.)

Reminds me of a story by Eric James Stone. A fun, short, read.
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v467/n7319/full/4671146a.html

That's a funny story. I might agree with the ending myself.

MCWagner

• Wins
  • Hipparch
Reply #126 on: March 02, 2013, 02:36:51 PM
Hi-oh.  It's that guy who only ever turns up for the flash contests again.  (Sorry for that, new job has me travelling constantly.)  Only managed to get one entry done in time for the EP contest, so I was determined to get two entries in for the PP contest.  Which, despite intending to work on for all of January and February, I only got the second one written a day before the deadline and wrestled it under 500 within an hour of the contest closing.  To be honest, I wanted to get a second in so I was supporting my favorite (and it sometimes feels the somewhat neglected one) of the three podcasts and helping inflate the numbers a little so it could stand proudly alongside the other 'casts.

O_O With 153 entries, maybe my worry was a little misplaced.  :)

It looks like we've got a lot of newcomers this time around.  Welcome everyone!  I'd like to caution that, since all the participants have to examine pretty closely to choose three from each group of ten, stories tend to go under the microscope during voting.  We're really good about not being mean or uncaring, but steeling yourself for some critical reviews might be wise.  I know some of my previous entries got well-eviscerated in the judging, but I tried to take it as an opportunity to improve... there's not many other places where around 70 people will give you direct feedback on your writing...

weatherman

• Extern
Reply #127 on: March 02, 2013, 02:56:35 PM
Long time listener, first time submitter here. Honestly this contest has been great even just up to this point - I had no idea I was going to submit until an idea popped in to my head about three days before the deadline, and I cranked out a draft at 6:30am that morning, before getting in to the shower. I then spent three days cutting the story down by just about 50%, and by the end it was almost like it was a story in shorthand. But I'm looking forward to the feedback and while it would be great if it goes to the finals, if it doesn't I imagine I'll still work on the sorry for submission elsewhere.

It looks like the contest is going to take at least a couple of months, which seems like an awfully long time to be sitting around biting my nails, but I guess I have 152 other stories to read in the meantime to keep me occupied. I'm looking forward to that.

My one question is whether I have to wait until I get knocked out before I submit to another publication, or if can I work up a longer version, for instance, and shop that around?

eytanz

Reply #128 on: March 02, 2013, 03:08:00 PM
My one question is whether I have to wait until I get knocked out before I submit to another publication, or if can I work up a longer version, for instance, and shop that around?

I don't know what the answer is as far as the competition goes, but I think most other publications would frown if you submit something to them while it is still under active consideration in a contest, so I think it's a bad idea even if it won't be explicitly disallowed.

Plus, you'll never know, maybe comments you get here will give you ideas that can lead to a better submission.

weatherman

• Extern
Reply #129 on: March 02, 2013, 03:39:01 PM
That makes sense - and is fair I suppose. I don't expect it will take long for my story to get "released" from active consideration anyway, so it's probably not an issue. :)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #130 on: March 02, 2013, 04:41:03 PM

I don't know what the answer is as far as the competition goes, but I think most other publications would frown if you submit something to them while it is still under active consideration in a contest, so I think it's a bad idea even if it won't be explicitly disallowed.

Plus, you'll never know, maybe comments you get here will give you ideas that can lead to a better submission.

I agree with this.  Also, since the rules for this contest demand previously unpublished works, I'm not sure whether that only means at time of submission.  But, in the spirit of those rules, I would personally not want to submit it elsewhere for that reason too.  (The general Pseudopod slush would be different in this respect since those do not need to be previously unpublished)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #131 on: March 02, 2013, 04:46:41 PM
Also, one other thing to consider is that in some of the contests here on the forum, the editors make purchase offers for some stories that didn't win the contest.  It doesn't happen every time, but something to keep in mind as a possibility.

SBC-B

• Peltast
    • Author Page
Reply #132 on: March 03, 2013, 04:54:17 AM
I 'm so excited for this contest! I love Pseudopod and horror of all flavors, so I feel like a kid in a traumatizing candy shop.

I had one story in the EP contest, but science fiction is not my strong suit, and I fear it probably showed. Really looking forward to seeing everybody's miniature nightmares. Good luck everyone!

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #133 on: March 03, 2013, 08:33:42 AM

I 'm so excited for this contest! I love Pseudopod and horror of all flavors, so I feel like a kid in a traumatizing candy shop.

We are the makers of music. And we are the dreamers of dreams.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Umbrageofsnow

• Hipparch
  • Commenting by the seat of my pants.
Reply #134 on: March 03, 2013, 08:58:41 AM
We are the makers of music. And we are the dreamers of dreams.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Pseudopod cyberspace wgah'nagl fhtagn.

julius blaze

• Peltast
Reply #135 on: March 03, 2013, 09:08:06 AM
How often will groupings be posted?  I checked the rules/schedule and didn't see that specifically.

The stories are up already, I have 10 stories to read it's like christmas!  ;D

eytanz

Reply #136 on: March 03, 2013, 10:51:22 AM
Earlier in this thread, bdoomed said:

I will release a new group every other day

So the next group will be up on Tuesday, I think.

SweetTeaNC

• Extern
Reply #137 on: March 03, 2013, 05:24:09 PM
I'm looking forward to reading the submissions!

Lady Watch

• Extern
Reply #138 on: March 03, 2013, 10:10:13 PM
So am I!

Dr.Arcane

• Extern
Reply #139 on: March 03, 2013, 10:59:08 PM

Where do I find them?

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #140 on: March 03, 2013, 11:00:44 PM

Where do I find them?

If you can see this message, hit "Back" and look up.

The first group is here.

eightycoin

• Extern
Reply #141 on: March 03, 2013, 11:06:41 PM

Where do I find them?

If you can see this message, hit "Back" and look up.

The first group is

I can see the message, hit back and I do not see them.  I clicked on the "here" link in your sentence "The first group is here" and receive the message: The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.

Help?

eytanz

Reply #142 on: March 03, 2013, 11:31:13 PM
eightycoin - Try the link again. The groups are set up to be visible for people with 0 posts, now that you've posted, you should be able to see it (and follow the link).

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #143 on: March 04, 2013, 12:13:48 AM
Yes, you do need to have at least one message posted on the forums to be able to view the stories.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

ZombieInkpot

• Matross
Reply #144 on: March 04, 2013, 12:19:13 AM
This is so exciting! 

Thunderscreech

• Lochage
Reply #145 on: March 04, 2013, 12:39:32 AM
I am so creeped out by some of these stories, I realize that my two entries are unlikely to progress beyond the initial posting.  Yikes!  Well done, folks.  :)

vdarcangelo

• Extern
Reply #146 on: March 04, 2013, 12:53:39 AM
Looking forward to reading some seriously twisted short fiction!

johnreppion

• Extern
Reply #147 on: March 04, 2013, 11:07:47 AM
Hello all,

I'm a long time listener, first time poster, and first time contest entererer.

Really looking forward to reading the other entries.

Very best of luck to everyone.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #148 on: March 04, 2013, 07:16:02 PM
If you've finished reading and voting on group 1, and are looking for something fun to do, why don't you head on over to the About Pseudopod board, where we are running contests for Best Stories of 2012 (Group A and Group B) as well as Best Readers of 2012!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

royalsuitee

• Extern
Reply #149 on: March 06, 2013, 12:55:10 AM
If you have any questions about the rules, the schedule, or anything else, ask away here!  Alternatively, you can message me on the forums, or send an e-mail to eaflash@gmail.com or bdoomed@gmail.com.

So excited to check out new stories!