Author Topic: Questions, Comments, Concerns?  (Read 74563 times)

eytanz

Reply #75 on: February 24, 2013, 10:58:55 AM
So, after missing out the first contest by joining the forums shortly after it ended, then participating in the second contest by commenting on almost every story, and participating in the EA portion of the third contest by running it, there's only one type of participation left for me to try.

So I submitted two stories to this contest, and I must admit, I'm kind of terrified, because last time I wrote fiction I was 18, literally half my lifetime ago. I don't think I'm going to get very far with my stories, but I'm looking forward to the competition.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #76 on: February 24, 2013, 03:33:51 PM
It's really nice when someone else is running the thing, innit?

adrianh

• Hipparch
    • quietstars
Reply #77 on: February 24, 2013, 08:35:17 PM
@eytanz @Bdoomed Well I've got a draft that I've just squeezed into 499 words by eytanz's tool - so thanks ;-)

benjaminjb

• Hipparch
Reply #78 on: February 24, 2013, 09:39:31 PM
So, after missing out the first contest by joining the forums shortly after it ended, then participating in the second contest by commenting on almost every story, and participating in the EA portion of the third contest by running it, there's only one type of participation left for me to try.

So I submitted two stories to this contest, and I must admit, I'm kind of terrified, because last time I wrote fiction I was 18, literally half my lifetime ago. I don't think I'm going to get very far with my stories, but I'm looking forward to the competition.
Was there ever a thread (or a segment of the podcast) where the forum moderators and other staff introduced themselves? I'm very curious.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #79 on: February 25, 2013, 03:01:14 AM
...Not that I know of...
I'd say the best you could do would be to stalk us by clicking on our usernames and looking at our oldest posts?  Maybe we introduced ourselves at some point?

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

benjaminjb

• Hipparch
Reply #80 on: February 25, 2013, 03:28:47 AM
...Not that I know of...
I'd say the best you could do would be to stalk us by clicking on our usernames and looking at our oldest posts?  Maybe we introduced ourselves at some point?
Eytanz actually started a thread for introductions: http://forum.escapeartists.net/index.php?topic=6758.0

After intros, I'd love to hear about the life-cycle of a podcast.

Portrait in Flesh

• Hipparch
  • NO KILL I
Reply #81 on: February 26, 2013, 02:36:32 AM
Well, my mom thinks I'm cool (although she doesn't know why I write what I do) so my stories have been sent in.

Now let the fretting begin. :-\

"Boys from the city.  Not yet caught by the whirlwind of Progress.  Feed soda pop to the thirsty pigs." --The Beast of Yucca Flats

Harley Warren

• Peltast
Reply #82 on: February 26, 2013, 02:45:07 AM
I am, but only every few days.  I checked the inbox today but didnt have the time to send out receipts :)

Hi-

I sent a story in on Feb 21, but haven't received a receipt.  Should I resend or stay patient?

favorite words from the Pseudopod flash contest:
ichor bass's pelage

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #83 on: February 26, 2013, 03:58:58 AM
Patience, young padawan! :) Been a bit busy, and I like to hit up a bunch at once.

Harley Warren

• Peltast
Reply #84 on: February 26, 2013, 04:17:44 AM
Patience, young padawan! :) Been a bit busy, and I like to hit up a bunch at once.

Thank you.  Hate to bother, but the deadline approaches.  I'm sure there are other worry warts lurking who are calmed as well as myself.

favorite words from the Pseudopod flash contest:
ichor bass's pelage

Portrait in Flesh

• Hipparch
  • NO KILL I
Reply #85 on: February 26, 2013, 04:21:35 AM

when the tiger hits
your eye like a big pizza...
...mmm, pizza is good

"Boys from the city.  Not yet caught by the whirlwind of Progress.  Feed soda pop to the thirsty pigs." --The Beast of Yucca Flats

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #86 on: February 26, 2013, 04:39:04 AM
Alrighty, everyone who has submitted up until RIGHT NOW should have confirmation.  If you don't please say so!

loyaleagle

• Palmer
  • I love audio fiction!
    • ScienceIsMagic.com
Reply #87 on: February 26, 2013, 09:11:14 AM
Pushed re-writes and edits to the deadline, but I finally got my story mailed off to you pseudopodian lords of flash fiction!  Happy scrubbing and posting!

Visit ScienceIsMagic.com, my blog and also home of the Synthetic Voices podcast! :) <-- Now defunct, sorry!

adrianh

• Hipparch
    • quietstars
Reply #88 on: February 26, 2013, 10:23:41 AM
Right. Story sent off - hopefully under the MS word count ;-)

`Nobody

• Extern
Reply #89 on: February 27, 2013, 06:31:43 PM
Another new user here. I submitted a thing, but wow it was tough. I felt like the meanest pulp magazine editor, slashing away sentence after sentence until nothing but bones remained.

Good luck to all involved

Quib

• Extern
Reply #90 on: February 27, 2013, 07:15:31 PM
Do a lot of people wait 'til the last minute to submit?
I did.
I'm new here.
Rather, I didn't so much wait as repeatedly encounter my inability to finish anything I start ever.

Nano

• Extern
Reply #91 on: February 27, 2013, 07:34:29 PM
One more newbie and one that learned about this contest a little late.

I just want to make sure my last night email has reached the designated receiver a day before the contest closes.

Good luck to everyone involved, and as this is the first time I submit anything I am sure nervous myself.

Umbrageofsnow

• Hipparch
  • Commenting by the seat of my pants.
Reply #92 on: February 27, 2013, 11:28:00 PM
Do a lot of people wait 'til the last minute to submit?
I did.
I'm new here.
Rather, I didn't so much wait as repeatedly encounter my inability to finish anything I start ever.

I have two stories mostly-ready to submit, but even here at the end I'm putting off sending that email until the last minute for some late-game revision.  I'm thinking I should send the more polished story tonight so that if my computer dies or the internet explodes or something I will have one submission in.  One of them I had a first draft back in January, the other I started and finished last week.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #93 on: February 28, 2013, 01:13:12 AM
Ill be accepting submissions until I go to bed Thursday night, which pretty much means about 3am EST.  I am at work now, but when I get home in about an hour or so I will be going through the new submissions and sending out confirmations.  I will also announce in this thread when I have done so, so you will all know of something went wrong :)

Also, keep in mind that I am very generous and lenient when it comes to deadlines and minor mistakes.  Small typos, miscalculations of word count, formatting issues, etc. are really no big deal (until they are!) so don't get too worried, just shoot me an email!

Last year, I believe I had a story with a typo posted on the forum when the author noticed it and asked me to correct it.  I did, and only made a post indicating that a typo was fixed.  So for all you scared authors out there, I hope that eases your minds! 

Also yes, many many last minute entries! I expected them :)
By my last count last night, there are around 90 entries!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #94 on: February 28, 2013, 03:37:55 AM
I also must apologize, for those of you who do not have Microsoft Word.  It's too late now, since I have been using it, but next year I will be using a free online word count so that everyone can be on the same level.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #95 on: February 28, 2013, 04:18:47 AM
Alrighty then, every story that has been received has been replied to in one fashion or another.  If you've sent in a story and it has not received a confirmation, please let me know!

Also, welcome to all the new members and authors!

JCHemphill

• Palmer
Reply #96 on: February 28, 2013, 04:40:45 AM
Hey there,

I have submitted 2 stories, one on the 19th and one just now. I have yet to receive a confirmation on either. Please advise.

JC Hemphill

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #97 on: February 28, 2013, 05:15:36 AM
(I just discovered a small stash of submissions in the spam box.  DAMN YOU SPAM BOX!)

Ivy Wood

• Matross
Reply #98 on: February 28, 2013, 11:49:20 AM
So glad I got mine in! Ninety entries is a very good response!

I'm really eager to read all the submissions, and vote! When (roughly) will they be put up? :)

"Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." :)

Peppermint Monster

• Extern
    • PeppermintMonster.com
Reply #99 on: February 28, 2013, 01:59:55 PM
According to the posted rules, they'll be available for voting March 3rd, so Sunday.