Author Topic: Questions, Comments, Concerns?  (Read 75578 times)

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #175 on: March 20, 2013, 02:55:24 PM
Interesting...
Well... since voting won't happen until all stories have gone through the final round, I suppose it wouldn't be too much extra effort to jumble up all of the semifinal stories and make brand new random groups...  that's really not a bad idea at all.

What do you all think?

Your time on this is volunteer time, so if you don't feel like you'd be taking on too much by mixing things up. That being said, be assured that someone will critique your choice of shuffling methodology.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Ivy Wood

• Matross
Reply #176 on: March 20, 2013, 03:27:01 PM
Sounds okay to me. But honestly, only if it doesn't cut into your time. I just appreciate all the volunteer time. And your patience.

"Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." :)

DoWhileNot

• Matross
    • doWhilenot.wordpress.com
Reply #177 on: March 20, 2013, 03:32:14 PM
As long as you're willing, I think it's a great idea too.

eytanz

Reply #178 on: March 20, 2013, 03:52:27 PM
I think it's a pretty good idea to randomize the stories.

However, if you take the extra step to do so, maybe it's worthwhile considering a more radical change, and also reduce the amount of semi-finals.

Specifically, if you have 5 semi-finals, 3 with 8 stories each and 2 with 9 stories each, you'll be able to have 3 winners per semi-final for a 15-story final, which would both eliminate the earlier concern by MCWagner about the semi-finals being a bottleneck, and also reduce the amount of polls we all have to vote in.

Umbrageofsnow

• Hipparch
  • Commenting by the seat of my pants.
Reply #179 on: March 20, 2013, 04:38:08 PM
Specifically, if you have 5 semi-finals, 3 with 8 stories each and 2 with 9 stories each, you'll be able to have 3 winners per semi-final for a 15-story final, which would both eliminate the earlier concern by MCWagner about the semi-finals being a bottleneck, and also reduce the amount of polls we all have to vote in.

This.

Also, a suggestion as to making the randomization more pain-free while keeping it more random and less planned:

Say you have 5 semi-final groups.  Pick two at random (say #2 and # 4 but don't tell us obviously).  Then make a list of each author with 2 stories in contention and each of their 2 stories.
ex.
Code: [Select]
Fenrix: 1. Cthulhu 2. Fhtagn
Scattercat: 1. Lorem 2. Ipsum
Umbrage: 1.  Passersby were amazed 2.Unusually large amounts of blood
Eytanz: 1. The Quick Brown Fox 2. The Lazy Dog
Then flip a coin for each author to select a story, and flip again to choose which among the chosen two groups it should go in.  So you might have
Group #1
#2 Fhtagn by Fenrix, Passersby Were Amazed by Umbrage
#4 Lorem by Scattercat, The Lazy Dog by Eytanz

Then assign the others randomly among groups 1,3,5 (or whatever so you establish none are in the same groups.
Group #1 The Quick Brown Fox by Eytanz
#2 Fhtagn by Fenrix, Passersby Were Amazed by Umbrage
#3 Ipsum by Scattercat, Cthulhu by Fenrix, Unusually Large Amounts of Blood by Umbrage
#4 Lorem by Scattercat, The Lazy Dog by Eytanz
#5 EMPTY

Then fill the rest at random.

(This may have all been really obvious I'm just realizing having posted it.) (I like having algorithms.)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 04:43:34 PM by Umbrageofsnow »

thepencankill

• Extern
Reply #180 on: March 20, 2013, 11:03:53 PM
Personally, I'd prefer each of the semifinal groups to have the same number of stories. Having a group or two one story off was okay in the beginning, but something like that seems like it could lend an unfair advantage to people in the smaller groups when all of the advancing stories are so good. I'm not against shaking things up, but I am against changing the group sizes if it means they come out unequal. Fairness should override ease of voting, yes?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 10:08:21 AM by thepencankill »

MCWagner

• Wins
  • Hipparch
Reply #181 on: March 21, 2013, 03:18:56 AM
...I appear to have created a monster.
How appropriate...

will write for beer

• Matross
Reply #182 on: March 21, 2013, 03:24:43 AM
I like the idea of shaking the order up, because if you couldn't beat a particular story the first time, chances are you won't beat it the second. But, it's your time, so it's your call.

Yeah, they're dead... They're all messed up.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #183 on: March 21, 2013, 08:21:31 PM
I like the idea of randomized groups for the semi-finals, while avoiding self-competition.  But don't wear yourself out if it's too hard.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #184 on: March 22, 2013, 03:54:29 AM
It shouldn't be too hard.  I think it'll be happening. :)

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #185 on: March 23, 2013, 04:40:04 PM
Let's reiterate this.  Stories are posted anonymously.  That means that the author of a story is unknown.  As an author, do not try and gather outside support for your story, and do not reveal your authorship anywhere until your story has been eliminated from the contest.  Revealing your authorship before voting has concluded for your group is grounds for disqualification.

flintknapper

• Lochage
Reply #186 on: March 23, 2013, 08:24:23 PM
This is the first flash fiction contest I have ever participated in, but I have gotten a kick out of going back and looking at the past contests. One thing I noticed is Escaped Pod has had a Flash Fiction III and Pseudopod is ongoing. Does that mean Castle Pod is going to have another Flash Fiction Contest?

Just wondering, I had not heard anything on the podcast or if it was on there I did not catch it

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #187 on: March 23, 2013, 08:51:12 PM
Probably a month or so after the Pseudopod contest wraps up, the Pod Castle contest will start up.  I'm not sure exactly when though, that's up to the staff over at PC.

daneyuleb

• Peltast
Reply #188 on: March 23, 2013, 10:06:52 PM
Ah, round 11 and hardly any flash fatigue--guess that's a testament to the quality of the stories. Still looking forward to each batch.

There does seem to be some attrition in the voter count, though.  Watching each round get a few less total votes then the one before, I'm reminded of my kids' Christmas shows in elementary school--evil, bad parents bailing out as soon as their kid's class is done, leaving the poor 5th graders singing Frosty the Snowman to a half empty lunchroom.

loyaleagle

• Palmer
  • I love audio fiction!
    • ScienceIsMagic.com
Reply #189 on: March 25, 2013, 12:14:11 AM
Maybe you're just using it for something temporary, but I've looked all over the rule and such and cannot figure out what the "Dungeon" child forum is for.  Just curious!

Visit ScienceIsMagic.com, my blog and also home of the Synthetic Voices podcast! :) <-- Now defunct, sorry!

Thulsa Morgue

• Palmer
  • So many drummers, so little time...
    • Watch the coming breakdown slowly happen...
Reply #190 on: March 25, 2013, 01:19:04 AM

...There does seem to be some attrition in the voter count, though.  Watching each round get a few less total votes then the one before...

Do you think this will hurt stories that come in later rounds?  I know in my case that I have kept one story in my head since its initial early round and I wonder if its early debut will give it any more weight against late-round stories...

SBC-B

• Peltast
    • Author Page
Reply #191 on: March 25, 2013, 04:41:57 AM
It's probably not practical, but I'd be interested to see what the gender ratio is in this contest.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #192 on: March 25, 2013, 06:30:45 AM
Maybe you're just using it for something temporary, but I've looked all over the rule and such and cannot figure out what the "Dungeon" child forum is for.  Just curious!
Explained in the other thread, it is to pool together all of the semifinal stories for easier sortin later.  I'm changing up how the semifinals are handled.

daneyuleb

• Peltast
Reply #193 on: March 25, 2013, 11:29:32 AM
Do you think this will hurt stories that come in later rounds?  I know in my case that I have kept one story in my head since its initial early round and I wonder if its early debut will give it any more weight against late-round stories...

I dunno.

On the one hand, the early round stories got more attention, as everyone was fresh and more people were involved.  On the other hand, the later stories are fresher in the mind for people when it's time for the semi's.  The early rounds may have benefited from some novelty effect, too--a round one zombie story may be better received then an equally well written zombie story in round 10 just due to zombie-story-overdose.  Same for a lot of tropes, and even scary stuff in general. So, in the finals, will that translate to a lot of "why did I vote for that?" in people's minds when they re-read their early round picks compared to what they saw later?  Or, since it's hard to change an opinion once set, will those stories retain their popularity, possibly undeservedly?

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 11:31:26 AM by daneyuleb »

Thunderscreech

• Lochage
Reply #194 on: March 25, 2013, 02:39:43 PM
C'mon Group 12, no need to be shy!  You can come out now!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #195 on: March 25, 2013, 02:40:59 PM
:D Putting it up now, I was quite sidetracked last night

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #196 on: March 25, 2013, 03:11:05 PM
C'mon Group 12, no need to be shy!  You can come out now!

Noodling for polls is dangerous. You're likely to be eaten by a grue.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

MCWagner

• Wins
  • Hipparch
Reply #197 on: March 28, 2013, 12:10:08 PM
OH GOD!  SKYNET FOUND US!  RUN!

LMGrey

• Extern
Reply #198 on: March 29, 2013, 05:16:45 PM
I'm a new poster--are other flash contests slated?

Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #199 on: March 29, 2013, 06:44:21 PM
Pod Castle will be running one sometime after the current contest closes.  The details on when and such have not yet been finalized.  So stay tuned!