Author Topic: The Woman in Black  (Read 7572 times)

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
on: January 24, 2013, 03:37:32 AM
Just watched The Woman in Black starring Daniel Radcliffe.  Very creepy Ghost/horror story.  Highly recommend.  I hadn't heard of it until I saw a preview while watching Don't be afraid of the dark which was also good.  it has a very gothic feel to it.  Again can't recommend it enough especially if you enjoyed the recent ghost stories here on Pseudopod.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 01:30:22 AM
Agreed, lovely atmosphere with a nice slow-burn creepy. TBH I don't think young Mr Radcliffe is quite up to the role, partly because I think someone a bit older wouldhave been more appropriate. But definitely worth a watch.

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 05:02:19 AM
I still think he did a good job.  I have heard they are planning a sequel :(

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 02:48:53 PM
I was kind of underwhelmed, though I agree it was atmospheric. I thought Radcliffe was fine in the role. Maybe it was just that the ending put me off it.

As far as creepy ghosty movies, 'The Others' with Nicole Kidman was 1000x better, IMHO.

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 06:44:08 PM
I was kind of underwhelmed, though I agree it was atmospheric. I thought Radcliffe was fine in the role. Maybe it was just that the ending put me off it.

As far as creepy ghosty movies, 'The Others' with Nicole Kidman was 1000x better, IMHO.

Ending was a little too hollywood cliched.  The Others was also creepy, but I thought this one was scarier. 

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 12:31:09 AM

Ending was a little too hollywood cliched.  The Others was also creepy, but I thought this one was scarier. 

I found that The Orphanage fulfilled all the potential that The Others had. Great film.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 01:07:15 AM

added to netflix queue, Thanks
I found that The Orphanage fulfilled all the potential that The Others had. Great film.

mojohook

• Extern
Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 01:34:24 AM
I really enjoyed The Orphanage, great ghost story without all of the extra gore. Not all that impressed with Woman in Black, had miles of creep, but only inches of substantial story. The Others was very well done, I had it figured out early on (Like Sixth Sense), but the characters were well played. The Ring (American ver.) was probably the most recent ghost story that chilled my spine.

"The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness." – Joseph Conrad

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 02:33:15 AM
Those looking for a creepy movie (ahhh, but is it a *ghost* story?  that would be telling) of recent vintage should seriously hunt down the Australian film LAKE MUNGO from a few years back.  Very creepy and very sad.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 04:10:28 AM
Lake Mungo was tremendous fun, pretty much all the way through.  Wasn't a big fan of the during/post credits bits, though.

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 12:25:41 AM
about 1/3 of the way into Lake Mungo and really not enjoying it.  Feels like an episode of one of the many ghost hunter shows, which bore me half to death.  Psychic Ray just showed up.

mojohook

• Extern
Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 12:43:51 AM
As a mockumentary, I felt Lake Mungo was very "real" in it's production. And it did have a couple of decent spooky moments, but I had to fast-forward through much of it.

"The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness." – Joseph Conrad

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 01:37:26 AM
didn't care for it, though I think my dvd player skipped some of it.  Damn netflix disc was scratched to hell when i got it.  Just too much like an exteneded version of one of the damn ghost hunter shows that proliferate SYFY Channel.  Their original programming has improved over time, but what passes for scifi to them sucks.  WWE?  Really?!?  I do like Lost Girl quite a bit though.  more of that, or old Dr. Who, like the old 60's-80's BBC stuff would be awesome.  Ghost hunter shows are boring not creepy.  less of that and more Poltergeist and Haunting in Connecticut. 

Ivy Wood

• Matross
Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 11:59:54 AM
I watched "Woman in Black", loved it, bought it, and now I'm reading the book. Only a few chapters in, but it's VERY different from movie. It's very enjoyable, too. I thought Radcliffe was quite good. That poor, poor woman with the dogs. "My little boy wants to draw you a picture now..."
Yeesh, C-R-E-E-P-Y!   :o

I've seen all the other movies discussed, except Lake Mungo. I'll try it, but I am also bored stiff with the Ghost Hunter type tv shows. "What was that?!" "Did you feel that?!" "Oh, my God, dude! Did you hear that?!"

Umm...no. No I did not. I neither saw, felt nor heard anything but bad acting in an empty warehouse.

"Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." :)

i.wright

• Extern
Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 01:37:40 PM
I didn't like this movie.  My wife was excited to watch it because she liked the book when young but I knew nothing about it.  It started off ok, the atmosphere in the village was good, but in general all the scares felt like a series of those images that have a screaming face pop up after 5 secs, it just felt cheap.

roxiewrites

• Extern
Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 10:11:22 AM
I wasn't aware it was based on a book! Gonna have to read that ASAP. :)

Always,
Roxie F. Prince

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 01:49:31 PM
I really enjoyed The Orphanage, great ghost story without all of the extra gore. Not all that impressed with Woman in Black, had miles of creep, but only inches of substantial story. The Others was very well done, I had it figured out early on (Like Sixth Sense), but the characters were well played. The Ring (American ver.) was probably the most recent ghost story that chilled my spine.

I enjoyed The Orphanage, but didn't realize it was a movie to read, ie only English subtitles.  just watched it last night.