Author Topic: Something's wrong with the website...  (Read 5763 times)

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
  • Have towel, will travel.
on: April 03, 2013, 09:24:59 AM
As you can see here the website is a tad bit broken.
That screencap was taken by me 10 minutes ago.
And this isn'[t the first time I've encountered this behavior on the Podastle site.
Refreshing the page brought up the correct page.
Also, the favicon is broken.

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 04:18:26 PM
Thanks, Max. I'll make sure our IT support sees this...

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 05:54:59 PM
I'm guessing here, but maybe it has to do with the fact that I tried to view the page while it was being updated (with today's story), and therefore got an old version cached on the server.

Also, congrats Dave (and family)!

eytanz

Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 06:02:10 PM
I'm guessing here, but maybe it has to do with the fact that I tried to view the page while it was being updated (with today's story), and therefore got an old version cached on the server.

No - this is a recurring problem. It's the exact same problem (I believe) as the itunes/downcast feed thinking that PC217 is the last episode, which happens on a nearly daily basis. I have no idea what causes it, but for some reason, the Podcastle server really likes reverting to that particular moment in time.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 06:06:23 PM
Thanks, Max  :D

No - this is a recurring problem. It's the exact same problem (I believe) as the itunes/downcast feed thinking that PC217 is the last episode, which happens on a nearly daily basis. I have no idea what causes it, but for some reason, the Podcastle server really likes reverting to that particular moment in time.

Yeah, it's a recurring problem, and an incredibly frustrating one from mine and Anna's end. (And from a lot of you, too, I'm sure.) We've been trying to figure it out for a while now, and have had little luck on how to fix it. 

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 06:42:05 PM
That'll teach you to break Arabian Nights stories into two parts.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 07:58:33 PM
Just so everyone knows, it's looking like a problem across all three sites and the forum. Hopefully it's being looked at around now.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 08:18:46 PM
Actually, I think this is a separate technical issue specific to Podacastle, that's also happening around the same time as all the other technical weirdness we're experiencing at all the EA sites.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 03:25:43 PM
Actually, I think this is a separate technical issue specific to Podacastle, that's also happening around the same time as all the other technical weirdness we're experiencing at all the EA sites.

Yeah, I've only seen that particular problem on the PC site for whatever reason, often showing me the Arabian Nights story on first load until I hit refresh.  From my POV it hasn't caused me a great deal of angst, since reloading works around it.

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 04:21:18 PM

Yeah, I've only seen that particular problem on the PC site for whatever reason, often showing me the Arabian Nights story on first load until I hit refresh.  From my POV it hasn't caused me a great deal of angst, since reloading works around it.
Well, yes, of course.
But a workaround isn't enough. The tech support person inside of me is screaming that a solution is required for such a glaring and user-facing problem.

geekaba

• Extern
Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 05:42:27 PM
Quite the problem - I'm trying to make a recommendation that people listen to podcastle, but they're going to jump to the site and see it hasn't been updated since July 2012 (almost a year ago). 

Refreshing doesn't fix it for me, BTW.

Is it a wordpress issue or a server issue?  :(

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 07:06:42 AM
Uh... mods, sysadmins: I have some experience with web sites, I parse html like a champ, know Javascript very well and even know a little php. Any chance I can look at the source files? Maybe a fresh pair of eyes will help...

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 03:02:19 PM
Noted, Max. I'll PM you.