Author Topic: Best Podcastle of 2012 - FINAL  (Read 10543 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: March 09, 2013, 01:41:11 AM
I know some other polls are taking lots of people's attention right now, but look over here!  It's the Podcastle final for best story of 2012!

Both groups were tied for second place, so I've exercised my tiebreaker votes to get us to the intended four stories in the final.  And now you can only vote for one.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 05:10:03 AM
And let me say that I'm personally bummed out that The Axiom of Choice got knocked out.  All four stories represented here are really good, but Axiom was far and away my favorite of the year. 

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 11:17:37 PM
And let me say that I'm personally bummed out that The Axiom of Choice got knocked out.  All four stories represented here are really good, but Axiom was far and away my favorite of the year. 

I am surprised by that as well, FWIW. Lots of people seemed to be declaring it a favorite when it aired, and I would've guessed it would be one of the finalists. Ah, well. Glad it made the semi finals :)

Umbrageofsnow

• Hipparch
  • Commenting by the seat of my pants.
Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 11:54:51 PM
I voted early, but as we can see from "Axiom"'s failure to advance, I failed to vote often enough.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 03:54:47 PM
This poll ends tomorrow afternoon!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 03:57:29 PM
Wow! Things have changed quite dramatically since my last viewing!

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 02:46:12 AM
I don't think things have really changed as dramatically as you think... it appears someone has either figured out how to stuff the ballot box, or there is a bug in the works here!

You may notice that the number of people listed as voting on each option does not add up to the reported total number of voters.  In point of fact, there are ten more registered votes than there are voters.

Using my mighty admin powers, I can see that all ten fraudulent votes have gone to "Recognizing Gabe" - so while it's still in the running it's not currently in first place.

mercurio

• Extern
Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 05:47:00 PM
Just want to say that I think I know what the problem is:

About a week ago, when a friend and fellow PodCastle author told me that "Recognizing Gabe" had made it to the Final (I didn't even know it'd been nommed), I announced online that "Recognizing Gabe" is in the poll and fans and friends (several of whom are longtime PodCastle, etc., listeners but (like me) not previously registered commenters in the forum) signed up in order to vote on the stories.

Since the system quickly purges new users unless they also comment somewhere on the forums, I think they probably got 86'ed if they didn't comment. I know that happened with my initial account, so when I tried logging on later, I had to create a new account (same name and email).

So... sorry about the odd discrepancy with the votes/users. The votes came from people who loved the story, even if their accounts got purged. Don't know how that should count.

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 01:49:00 PM
I hesitate to say it, but that feels weird to me. :-\

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 09:50:39 AM
Mercurio, thanks for being very upfront here and telling us what was going on.  Quite appreciated.  And I'm sure your fans loved the story (I certainly did!) but who knows - if they had listened to the other nominees they may have loved those more.  :)  And as you say, some may indeed be longtime Podcastle listeners, but we have no way of knowing that.  And the poll is really supposed to be for the forum community in any case.  So I'm nullifying ten votes for Recognizing Gabe.

And accordingly I'm officially announcing PC 214 We Never Talk About My Brother by Peter S. Beagle to be the winner of the Best Podcastle of 2012 poll!

If anyone who's vote was nullified is reading this - sorry about that.  Please come participate in the best of 2012 polls for the other podcasts which haven't been finished yet, the Psuedopod flash fiction contest, and in a few month's time Podcastle's own flash fiction contest.  Make a post and stick around.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 09:49:31 PM
Just want to say that I think I know what the problem is:

About a week ago, when a friend and fellow PodCastle author told me that "Recognizing Gabe" had made it to the Final (I didn't even know it'd been nommed), I announced online that "Recognizing Gabe" is in the poll and fans and friends (several of whom are longtime PodCastle, etc., listeners but (like me) not previously registered commenters in the forum) signed up in order to vote on the stories.

Since the system quickly purges new users unless they also comment somewhere on the forums, I think they probably got 86'ed if they didn't comment. I know that happened with my initial account, so when I tried logging on later, I had to create a new account (same name and email).

So... sorry about the odd discrepancy with the votes/users. The votes came from people who loved the story, even if their accounts got purged. Don't know how that should count.

Well, I think you can take pride in saying you came in second behind the guy who wrote The Last Unicorn. Alternately, you can use it as a platform to talk about how you were robbed and that you and your friends need to become active over here on the EA forums to ensure that injustice never happens again. More posters is always a good thing, and the community here is surprisingly filled with humans treating other humans like humans. Except Scattercat, because he doesn't qualify.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 11:05:43 PM
Hey, no discriminations against us Feline Americans.  >:(

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 04:37:08 PM
I treat humans like monkeys.