Author Topic: EP388: Trixie and the Pandas of Dread  (Read 33884 times)

matweller

• EA Staff
Reply #75 on: June 11, 2013, 02:47:27 PM
The story doesn't imply it's just.  The less just the smiting is, the better the story is, because that's the point, the old gods are basically the Id embodied, just doing whatever they please whenever they please.  She finds the old god within her, yay!  And she gets back in her groove.  The story doesn't imply this is a good thing for the world, who will feel her wrath, but that it's a good thing for godly self. 

Let me posit a question as to whether its good for her godly self or perhaps is it good for the agenda of godhood comittee? It was really only mentioned once and quite in passing, yet, are these gods as all powerfull as they are leading us to believe, there seems to be a greater force at work, perhaps even a force capable of retracting/redacting godhood! What part does having a vengeful comment reading panda riding girl as a goddess serve? Hmmm!
What purpose did it serve in nearly every myth structure/religion man has created?

childoftyranny

• Matross
Reply #76 on: June 11, 2013, 06:22:51 PM
The story doesn't imply it's just.  The less just the smiting is, the better the story is, because that's the point, the old gods are basically the Id embodied, just doing whatever they please whenever they please.  She finds the old god within her, yay!  And she gets back in her groove.  The story doesn't imply this is a good thing for the world, who will feel her wrath, but that it's a good thing for godly self. 

Let me posit a question as to whether its good for her godly self or perhaps is it good for the agenda of godhood comittee? It was really only mentioned once and quite in passing, yet, are these gods as all powerfull as they are leading us to believe, there seems to be a greater force at work, perhaps even a force capable of retracting/redacting godhood! What part does having a vengeful comment reading panda riding girl as a goddess serve? Hmmm!
What purpose did it serve in nearly every myth structure/religion man has created?

Well my first reaction is to say behavioral influence, to cover as much as possible. The creating groups wish to influece others behavior to benefit them in some manner, which is perhaps easier to see in something like a fertility goddess than say Zeus, I'm not really sure what his constant sex with women in odd forms was really supposed to tell people, it could perhaps just have been people enjoyed sex stories as they do now.

Under that idea I'd still think that if we wanted to apply a purpose, with a goddess of destruction, one initially must assume the idea is to incite fear and to stop certain behavior, though even if that its really just behavior that annoys her, it may annoy others too, but mostly its what annoys her in the "old god" mentality. Its a possible reasoning, though as a purpose for a committe that seems pretty narrow in the realm of making gods. And if that is the reason, quite curious indeed.

csrster

• Palmer
Reply #77 on: June 21, 2013, 09:27:20 AM
Well I suppose I have to add my voice to the "didn't much like this one" group. I'm not actually morally outraged by it - we all need cartoonish revenge-fantasies sometimes - and I admit to smiling at some of the jokes. But as a story it just didn't seem to go anywhere. It really needed a bit more conflict - an antagonist to push against Trixie, rather than just a bunch of mere mortals for her to blast.

Umbrageofsnow

• Hipparch
  • Commenting by the seat of my pants.
Reply #78 on: July 11, 2013, 09:26:43 PM
Holy crap, I didn't even realize this was Eugie Foster!  Somehow that makes me like it more, because it's a bit out of what I think of as her standard tropes (which are also good).

This story was wonderful and hilarious and I have no problem with the morality.  Trixie is a badass goddess of vengeance, if anyone is allowed to smite someone for being a prick on the internet it's her.

This is fighting "They Go Bump" for my favorite story of the year so far.

hardware

• Matross
Reply #79 on: October 29, 2013, 07:08:11 PM
Nah, while I found it moderately funny and the reading very good, I must agree with those here who got pretty turned off by this story and what it brought to the table. I'm fine with unlikeable characters doing unlikeable things - in fact, that's a complaint I never really understood, but I'm not OK when someone tries to make me feel sympathy for such characters without revealing anything that might make me understand where that behavior came from. Fine, if this was a satire where a god was just a psychopath who needed to kill puny humans without regret to feel good, I could roll with that, but here they try to have the cake and eat it by applying that story, plus selfhelp book level psychology to an all too human (and unbearably whiny) god, who ends up neither as a believable deity, nor a as a believable human. And no amount of clever puns about farting Pandas can change that.