Author Topic: The Last Exorcism (Movie)  (Read 4005 times)

KillerWhalen

• Extern
  • A man, a plan, a canal, Rideau!
    • Movies, Malaise, Miscellania
on: September 06, 2010, 01:27:47 AM
Has anybody else here seen this? I'm curious what someone else's opinions were. Alot of web sites made a big hullabaloo about the supposedly confusing ending, but I thought it was a great cap-off to the film.

This was a modern, frieghtening, and very intelligent horror film, that used the POV gimmick well and was willing to sacrifice absolute realism to make a better film (there are a few cuts that would have only been possible with a multiple camera system). The characters are all believable and interesting (especially Reveran Marcus) and the cast was very strong.

*spoilers ahead*
I thought Ashley Bell really shined as the posessed Nell, when she was given those clunky red boots her expression was so genuinely happy that I couldn't help but smile and laugh right along with her in the theatre.

I just don't get it.

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 04:52:50 PM
I just watched this streaming on Netflix.  I enjoyed it.  I did not see the end coming *spoilers*except for the brother's note to not leave Nell alone with the father.  I assumed near the end that the father really was trying to save his daughter at that point and the brother would somehow be involved.  With the ending, it really made you think about some of the brother's statements throughout the movie.

Well done, only complaint with POV gimick was at the end and it's in nearly every POV movie I have seen.  Why when you are running away would you continue to lug a big heavy camera with you, if you are truly fearing for your life.  Drop that heavy ass thing and truly run.

Uncanny Valley

• Palmer
Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 02:20:17 AM
Well done, only complaint with POV gimick was at the end and it's in nearly every POV movie I have seen.  Why when you are running away would you continue to lug a big heavy camera with you, if you are truly fearing for your life.  Drop that heavy ass thing and truly run.

Exactly!  The thing that was most irritating in this case was that there were ways it could have been handled that would have made sense, like having the 'worshipers' film their demise perhaps.  But running with the camera is just insulting.  Heck, throw it at them!

Kat_Rocha

• Palmer
    • 01 Publishing
Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 05:08:51 PM
My biggest problem is that the ending seemed tacked on... almost like the writer/director couldn't think of where to take it next so they just threw in a SPOILER demon.

-Kat