Author Topic: Pseudopod 329: Red Rubber Gloves  (Read 20718 times)

TheBigBlueFrog

• Extern
    • Blue Frog Design Studios
Reply #25 on: May 29, 2013, 04:05:30 PM
The host mentions "The House of Fallen Leaves" in the intro as an example of typography in support of story, but I think maybe he means Mark Danielewski's "House of Leaves."

Can someone confirm this?

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #26 on: May 29, 2013, 04:24:18 PM
As the host, yes I can in fact confirm that:) Factual error on my part, apologies for any confusion.

TheBigBlueFrog

• Extern
    • Blue Frog Design Studios
Reply #27 on: May 29, 2013, 04:50:57 PM
No problem. I knew exactly what you were talking about. I've been trying to convince a few friends to read "House of Leaves" so I will have someone to discuss it with. It's such a creepy book. I felt squeamish even reading it in the bright sunlight outside. I decoded all of the letters from the mother, and they are horrifying. Finally got a copy of the full-color hardback edition, which was fiction itself for so long. Can't find anyone willing to do the work necessary to read it — by which I mean following EVERY SINGLE footnote to its finish before getting back to the story.

I want to write an RPG scenario for Pathfinder based on the house.

PrimerofinTheSequel

• Extern
  • I kill therefore I am [human]
Reply #28 on: June 05, 2013, 02:36:41 AM
I loved this.
Fully understand why many people didn't.
I like the weird.
This was.
Hypnotized me.
Got out my gloves.
Red rubber gloves.

PrimerofinTheSequel

• Extern
  • I kill therefore I am [human]
Reply #29 on: June 05, 2013, 02:45:42 AM
...  I am a rather slow reader--I haven't tried any speed reading stuff, but they always sound gimmicky to me.

I took a speed reading class the summer before I started college - thought it'd give an edge.
It actually works. Could fly through a book and pass a comprehension test just fine.

But....

It converts reading from a pleasure activity into work.
Must really focus like a laser scanning the pages.
This took away the best part of reading - allowing your mind to wander as inspired by the text or the girl next to you.

So I abandoned the speed reading. And pursued the girl next to me.

Every so often I shift into speed reading mode more as a skimming tool to find a specific phrase or part of the book I'm interested in.

More often I shift into the girl next to me.

TimWB

• Palmer
  • Author "The Flesh Sutra", 2015 Stoker Prelim Nom
    • To Smother In Orderr To Sell The Body To Science
Reply #30 on: July 17, 2013, 01:09:11 AM
The repetition gives a great feeling for the protagonist's physical (and perhaps mental) limitations. It seemed a cross between Patricia Highsmith (The Talented Mr. Ripley) and the surreal Thomas Liggotti.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #31 on: October 31, 2013, 12:38:15 AM
I was quite impressed by the way the transition of time was deftly presented. It also helped to focus that this was the same scene at a different time. I loved this story, but Rear Window is also my fave Hitchcock film by a comfortable margin.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”