Author Topic: as in EP forums:Authors we should hunt down in a dark alley & force to do PP  (Read 7908 times)

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
I have enjoyed reading the thread in the Escape Pod forums, so want to see if there is anybody for pseudopod (plus I at least got a response when I emailed Spider Robinson for the other thread).

I would like to see short stories from Stephen King, esp some of his older Lovecraftian stories such as Crouch End.  I seem to recall an audiobook being done for his short(relatively speaking) story "The Mist", would have come out on cassette probably 20 years ago now.  Based on his collection books, he does seem to write a lot of short fiction stuff, so I may have to track down some contact info and point him towards Pseudopod.

can't think of any others off hand now (at least not that are living), but will keep wracking my brain for other suggestions. 

I think a lot of the Chaosium lovecraftian anthology books, had some good shorts in them as well.  Unfortunately I haven't found any good heirs to the throne lately for the horror genre.  maybe cause it gets broken up into other genres more so than SF/Fantasy does.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
John Tynes-Roleplaying author, film maker and deeply disturbing Lovecraftian author.  His stuff's great.  Horrible, but great.

Simon Clark-English horror author who has a fondness for ending the world in Yorkshire.  His Triffids-sequel wasn't great but his books are well written and cheerfully nasty.

Steve Niles-Scriptwriter turned comic author, best known for 30 Days of Night.  Terrifyingly prolific and I'm sure he's got some short fiction kicking around.

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
I seem to recall an audiobook being done for his short(relatively speaking) story "The Mist", would have come out on cassette probably 20 years ago now.

I have this audio recording. It was done as a full cast audio with no narrator--just sort of as a "radio play."  As I recall, though, the "gimmick" was that it was one of the first produced with the then-new capabilities of 3-D sound, so that if you close your eyes, you find yourself transported, audially, into the story.

I remember being very impressed with the "shiny!" aspect of it, but not overly impressed by the ability of it to tell the STORY.  For someone who hadn't read the story, I'm not sure it would have had the same impact.

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

Zod Wallop

• Extern
Unfortunately I haven't found any good heirs to the throne lately for the horror genre.  maybe cause it gets broken up into other genres more so than SF/Fantasy does.

I'd like to second the votes for Stephen King ('natch) and Simon Clark. Stephen King seems to go for new things and is pretty giving when it comes to rights to his short stories. I'd love to hear 'Survivor Type' done by an actor that could pull it off.

I'd also suggest Bentley Little (who is the best horror writer going right now and my vote for 'heir to the throne'). Several of his stories in The Collection would make crackerjack Pseudopod eps.

Other living writers that would be great would be Joe Lansdale (Check out High Cotton, Bumper Crop, Writers Of The Purple Rage or By Bizarre Hands for some great, great short horror), Ramsey Campbell (can't speak for his novels which are pretty slow, but he has some really good short stories), Peter Straub, Douglas Clegg, Rick Hautala and Robert McCammon.

Also, Leisure Books has been putting out work from all sorts of 'just below the mainstream' horror writers from The U.K. and the U.S. You know some of those guys have to be sitting on short stories that they would be happy to have available.

One thing vampire children are taught is, never run with a wooden stake.

Leon Kensington

• Matross
  • Supreme Overlord of Earth
I think we need more Sigler, and some Jim Butcher.  Lots of Butcher.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
I was just reading this thread in PC, and thought I'd post the idea here (and behold, the topic already broached, and waiting to be resurrected!)

It's my understanding that Peter Beagle and his business manager approached Steve.

Steve's said in the past that authors have come to him after getting letters from fans telling them to go to Steve, so if you want something in EP/PP/PC you might want to try writing the author a letter.

So, has anyone actually penned a letter to Mr. King (or anyone else mentioned) as yet?  If not, I will set that for my Thursday morning task.

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!