Author Topic: Escape Pod Classic - We want your feedback!  (Read 9586 times)

PHaring

on: March 26, 2007, 08:55:00 PM
Steve and I were tossing around an idea or two for Escape Pod Classic and we wanted to run it past you and see what you all thought.  Currently, EPC is re-running family friendly episodes of Escape Pod in their original podcast form.  We’ve not done any work to cut or re-edit them in any way.   But we were wondering if you’d like us to.  In essence we’d remove Steve’s opening and closing monologues, put a different opening title to recognize it as Escape Pod Classic, and possibly put it over different bed music, giving each episode of Classic a tighter presentation than its parent podcast.

This idea does not differ in design from the original intent of Escape Pod Classic, but it would in execution.  Instead of re-doing one episode at a time and then posting it on the weekly cycle, we would keep the feed content unaltered with the original files, until such time as we’ve built up the library of re-cut stories to a sufficient level where we could switch over without too much difficulty.

So, let us know what you think.  Do you like this idea?  Do you dislike this idea?  Do you have an alternate idea you’d like to present?  All comments are welcome, either here on the forums or via E-mail to editor@escapepod.org

Thanks!

Paul Haring

Feed Administrator
Escape Pod Classic

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 10:18:32 PM
That is how Steve started EP Classic--different bed music, generic intro to introduce the story and its autor(s), then just the story.

When Classic first started, I loved the idea, and listened.  I was dissappointed when it stopped.   When it recently started up again I was very glad to get the content again (even though I have listened to them all via the archives).  I liked the cleaned up versions, but I also like to listen to Steve's past intros again.  So here's my suggestion:

1) Clean up the feed so that it is just the story with a generic intro.

2) Meanwhile, publish a Podiobook of all of Steve's intro essays, similar to Mur's Lessons From A Geek Fu Master.  You could call it The Escape Pod Logbook or Survival Notes from an Escape Pod.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 04:49:52 AM
Survival Notes from an Escape Pod is the coolest title ever!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 04:57:02 AM
Survival Notes from an Escape Pod is the coolest title ever!

Heh.  I agree, it's a cool title.  >8->  I don't think a collection of intros is likely to happen, though.  I just don't see them as being the important part of EP.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 04:39:40 PM
I don't think a collection of intros is likely to happen, though.  I just don't see them as being the important part of EP.

Steve, I know you are a modest guy, but I have to disagree with you on this one.  Yes, on a weekly basis, the stories are what EP is about.  However, I find myself just as interested is what you have to say in your intro as in what the story is going to be. 

You are influential to the genre, at least among the EP audience.  If you ran a poll to find out how many EP listeners have run out to subscribe to genre print magazines due to your encouragement, I think you would find high numbers.  I know I did.  As I watch and interact with my children, I often reflect on your comments about how children perceive the world and that at some point almost everything to them is science fiction.

Yes, EP is about the stories, but it is also a success because of your heart and soul.  Do what you want about the podioibook intro collection idea (I would love it), but you shouldn't underestimate the importance of your personality and viewpoint, as well as the appreciation your listeners have for it.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 05:09:01 PM
I'm going to give a voice of dissention on the EPNotes idea. It is the coolest name ever, and someone should claim it for later use, unfortunately I can't think of a single reason to re-listen to Steve's intros/outros. I enjoy them, the first time I hear them, and some times the reference something cool/interesting and I'll make a note to go back to them, but they are so periodic (is that right?) that once a week has passed they are old news.
Perhaps in another year or so there could be a special "essay" CD, but the weekly ins and outs seem like they would be a little thin for any reoccurring entertainment value.

As for EP Classic, I’d love to have a feed with just the story introduction and story… however, I’d like to have it for all stories (not just the family friendly ones).

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Russell Nash

Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 11:07:30 AM
I'm going to give a voice of dissention on the EPNotes idea. It is the coolest name ever, and someone should claim it for later use, unfortunately I can't think of a single reason to re-listen to Steve's intros/outros. I enjoy them, the first time I hear them, and some times the reference something cool/interesting and I'll make a note to go back to them, but they are so periodic (is that right?) that once a week has passed they are old news.
Perhaps in another year or so there could be a special "essay" CD, but the weekly ins and outs seem like they would be a little thin for any reoccurring entertainment value.

As for EP Classic, I’d love to have a feed with just the story introduction and story… however, I’d like to have it for all stories (not just the family friendly ones).

EP Classic and EP Family Classics ?

Or maybe just marking titles family friendly on the feed "EP??? Journeys in the Refridgerator [Family Friendly]"

I'd love to be able to get my favorites stripped down. A little music and a story intro.

PHaring

Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 11:43:20 AM

I'd love to be able to get my favorites stripped down. A little music and a story intro.

I want to make sure I'm understanding you both correctly.  When you are talking about "just the story introduction and story" and "A little music and story intro" are you referring to steve's opening intro where he discusses a geek topic related to the story, or are you just talking about a quick little "Today's story is.... written by..... read by..... " and then jump on in.

Thanks!

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 11:54:24 AM
For the EPClassic, I'd like some opening music (or not, I could go either way), "this is EPC", then the original intro about the story and author with out the editorial.
I was thinking about just "This is EPC, presenting Blahblahblah by Blah Blahblah." but I don't want to rob the authors of their publicity just because a new listener is going through the abbreviated back logs.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Russell Nash

Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 12:18:28 PM

I want to make sure I'm understanding you both correctly.  When you are talking about "just the story introduction and story" and "A little music and story intro" are you referring to steve's opening intro where he discusses a geek topic related to the story, or are you just talking about a quick little "Today's story is.... written by..... read by..... " and then jump on in.

Thanks!

"Hi, todays story is___ written by____ first appeared in____. It's story time....

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 04:24:08 PM
I agree with above - the shorter the opening the better.  Perhaps you add the author details, etc in the outro.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 05:41:58 PM
Very similiar to the way the flash pieces are run, except with longer stories. 

Startrekwiki

Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 02:31:55 PM
Yes. Can we suggest stories for EP Classic? If so, the Alchamista is the story I believe should be in there. Can we do such things and suggest episodes?

PHaring

Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 04:34:35 PM
Yes. Can we suggest stories for EP Classic? If so, the Alchamista is the story I believe should be in there. Can we do such things and suggest episodes?

Suggestions are absolutley welcome.  I'm happy to hear them all!  Do keep in mind a couple of things -

1) All episodes of Escape pod, whether suggested or not, will be screened for potential running on the Classic feed.
2) For the first run of Classic, episodes will appear in the same order they appearned on Escape Pod. When we get to the end of the first run and are ready to start over, things may mix up a little, but that's so far off right now that it's hardly worth mentioning.
3) Any story that does not fit into the confines of "family friendly" will be rejected for Classic.

Family friendly means a lot of different things to a lot of different people, but the main question I'm asking myself is "Is this appropriate for a pre-teen to hear?"  If that answer is yes, it's in.  If it's no...it's not.  If it's "I'm not sure"...well then I have to make a decision.  The existing ratings that Steve has applied to the stories serves as a guide.  While I have not yet finished screening all of the episodes, I can say that so far, all G and PG content reviewed so far has been scheduled.  R rated content tends to be a gray area that depends on the nature of the content and the specific reasons it recieved the R rating.  X rated content will not be published on the Classic feed.