Author Topic: magic PC?  (Read 19687 times)

scottjanssens

• Palmer
Reply #25 on: January 23, 2007, 07:48:55 PM
If I start a game of Solitaire on my computer I must win before I quit playing, otherwise the universe will end.  True story.

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #26 on: March 16, 2007, 06:14:24 AM
I'm a technician at a transmitter plant with ten 100 and 250 kW short wave transmitters (Radio Canada International). When I stand in front of them and push the button that brings up the RF carrier, I step back and make a "Rise!" gesture with my outstretched hands, as if I was attempting to levitate them. Mostly it just gives me a better view of all the meters and status LEDs as the voltages and relays kick in.

When I approach an automatic door, i like to give it a Jedi wave just before it opens. I'm hoping that some little kid will think I'm a telekinete.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #27 on: March 16, 2007, 06:40:47 AM
When I approach an automatic door, i like to give it a Jedi wave just before it opens. I'm hoping that some little kid will think I'm a telekinete.

Heh.  Your problem will be finding a little kid who doesn't know about automatic doors.  My son's not quite two yet, and he's never reacted to such things with any surprise.  As far as he's concerned, that's just what doors made of glass do.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #28 on: March 16, 2007, 04:32:19 PM
Quote from: Planish
When I approach an automatic door, i like to give it a Jedi wave just before it opens.
I do the same thing, only it's because I walk quickly and I don't want to bash my nose...

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #29 on: March 16, 2007, 04:56:30 PM
How about clicking randomly around the screen, or smacking your keyboard, when your computer locks up?

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

fiveyearwinter

• Peltast
Reply #30 on: March 16, 2007, 05:32:05 PM
I wiggle the mouse around when my computer is hanging. I am aware that this does nothing.

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #31 on: March 16, 2007, 10:58:37 PM
The IT guy at my previous company insisted that some people attract computer glitches and some don't.  He said that the glitches were not the kind that the user would have caused accidentally.

At the same company we had a content management tool that actually did require bizarre rituals. 
"OK, first you write the copy in Word, then paste it into Notepad.  Save it in UTF-8 format, then reopen it and save it in PC ANSI.  Now cut and paste it into the content management app.  OK, delete all you apostrophes and retype them.  Now copy the whole thing into the clipboard and paste it over itself.  No, don't save it yet!  Do not save at the point, we're only halfway done..."

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #32 on: March 17, 2007, 04:01:11 AM
At the same company we had a content management tool that actually did require bizarre rituals. 
"OK, first you write the copy in Word, then paste it into Notepad.  Save it in UTF-8 format, then reopen it and save it in PC ANSI.  Now cut and paste it into the content management app.  OK, delete all you apostrophes and retype them.  Now copy the whole thing into the clipboard and paste it over itself.  No, don't save it yet!  Do not save at the point, we're only halfway done..."

The flash contest is over.  I'm not doing any of that for any of your e-mail submissions again.  >8-P

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #33 on: March 19, 2007, 03:54:42 AM
It's not magic, but you have the guys who double click web links.  Also people who highlight onscreen text as they're reading it. 

fiveyearwinter

• Peltast
Reply #34 on: March 19, 2007, 11:04:50 AM
Oh man, I totally highlight text while I'm reading it. I have no idea why.

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #35 on: March 25, 2007, 06:41:16 AM

Heh.  Your problem will be finding a little kid who doesn't know about automatic doors.  My son's not quite two yet, and he's never reacted to such things with any surprise.  As far as he's concerned, that's just what doors made of glass do.

This made me think about how my kids have no perception of scheduled television.  They are just used to everything being on video or DVD.  I or my wife will say, "Do you want to watch <we'll use Sesame Street as an example>?"  and they will want to do something else, but later in the day will come up and say "Ok I want to watch Sesame Street now."  It is hard to convince them that it is over and we can't just start it up.  It's kind of funny, and I wonder if this is how my parents felt when they realized I couldn't envisiona world without television.  This just proves that on demand media is guaranteed in the future.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #36 on: March 26, 2007, 02:02:48 PM
I worked with a guy who insisted on tapping the bottom of any soda-pop can before opening, he insisted it stopped it fizzing over.  (Nutter).
The tapping of the top does work. We did a "scientific" study of that in my dorm.

I've found, based on self-funded longitudinal study, that not shaking the can also prevents it from fizzing over.  >8->
But then you can't play Beer Hunter  :P