PodCastle > Fantasy Discussion

Fantasy Recommendations?

(1/4) > >>

weatherman:
My wife finds herself these days with a lot of time on her hands, but not enough books to fill the time. After being introduced to the genre through trashy vampire novels and Harry Potter, she had to admit she is now a fantasy fan. She's read a few books of the Game of Thrones and also the Mistborn series, and dabbled around with others here and there but I don't think she's really found another series that she has really enjoyed to the point of reading more than one.

Being a sci-fi fan myself, I don't really have a lot of recommendations for her, so I'm asking here; what good fantasy would you recommend? It would be especially good if it involved strong or lead female characters and a series of at least three books...

lowky:
Terry Brooks is always a good place to start, for lighter fare I would recommend his Magic Kingdom for Sale series. 
Not sure how much of the older Xanth books are available, I enjoyed those.  It sounds like from the ones you listed that she tends to like the YA fantasy stuff somewhat.  The Xanth books would qualify in that regard. 

Scattercat:
Barbara Hambly almost always has a strong female character (albeit one who usually falls in love with a much older and more worldly man).  The Darwath Trilogy (Time of the Dark, Walls of Air, Armies of Daylight, and then Mother of Winter and Icefalcon's Quest) and the Windrose Chronicles (The Silent Tower, The Silicon Mage, Dog Wizard, and Stranger at the Wedding) are both extremely good.

Tad Williams is another personal favorite, with Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn (The Dragonbone Chair, The Stone of Farewell, and To Green Angel Tower Pts. I and II).  If you want a more starter-level story, Tailchaser's Song is self-contained and can be summarized as "Watership Down with cats and evil deities."

Fenrix:
You can't go wrong with ensuring that she reads The Hobbit.

Checking out L Frank Baum's Oz books might be worthwhile. They're quick and easy and in the public domain.

lowky:
Arthurian Legend is also always good, Stephen Lawhead's Pendragon series was good, The Once and Future King, Mary Stewart's quintet starting with The Crystal Cave. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version