Author Topic: Pseudopod 337: At The End Of The Passage  (Read 14404 times)

evrgrn_monster

• Lochage
  • SQUAW, MY OPINIONS.
Reply #25 on: June 21, 2013, 05:10:00 AM
Wasn't sure about this story in the beginning, but man, that pay off. I'm actually not the world's biggest Kipling fan, so I was a bit hesitant on taking on this rather beefy episode, but I'm very glad I did. Also, thank you buckets for the intro vocab round-up. Made things much easier to grasp.

It also didn't hurt that this was an Alasdair narration. That part where he's begging for help to go to sleep? Absolute perfection in delivery.

I will admit I'm pretty winded on the classic stories, though. They take a lot of work to claw through, and as much as I love them, I could use a break.

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #26 on: June 21, 2013, 05:42:28 AM
Please see the 10th post in this thread...

evrgrn_monster

• Lochage
  • SQUAW, MY OPINIONS.
Reply #27 on: June 21, 2013, 10:33:54 PM
Please see the 10th post in this thread...

Ugh, how did I miss that?

:-[

Like so much in life, the situation could've been saved by careful reading.

benjaminjb

• Hipparch
Reply #28 on: June 22, 2013, 07:28:17 PM
I enjoy Kipling very much, but I can't say that this story really moved me. I mean, it was a lot of fun to hear the language these guys used, but the story itself seems loose and structureless in terms of plot. Or to put it another way: did we need to hear the card game? Did we really need the two characters beyond the crazed man and the doctor? I mean, strictly from a plot angle?

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #29 on: June 24, 2013, 06:40:32 PM
Now if only the author would come post in here... :P

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #30 on: June 25, 2013, 10:19:04 PM
This story is almost the platonic ideal of the mood piece.  Virtually nothing actually happens, and at great length, yet it's almost hypnotic in the unrelenting sensation of horror, like looking at a house and knowing it's on fire, that at any moment smoke will start to billow from the roof and flames lick through the windows, but not yet, not yet...

To me, stories like this have almost a sound to them, a constant droning buzz just on the threshold of hearing.  It is suspense held out until it becomes torturous, then frustrating, then banal, and then, alchemically, back into suspense again.