Author Topic: Name the Fantasy Podcast!  (Read 76004 times)

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #25 on: March 30, 2007, 06:37:13 PM
On principle, I stand in opposition to DragonPod.
Too obvious/common?

Yes. And easy to mock.

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #26 on: March 30, 2007, 06:47:19 PM
I don't think the sheer cleverness of EscapePod can be replicated.  Sci-fi relation, literary type, medium, double entendre all rolled into 9 letters.

I've been trying to use other common elements of S&S, and make them clever - like an Inn (hence the previously mentioned Adventure Inn).

Mr. Eley - In regards to the first "rule" (E-mail your name ideas to contest@escapepod.org.  Posting them in this forum or anywhere else will not be valid.) Once they are emailed, is it alright to reveal our suggestions in the forum?  We might get some neat synergy if we feed off each other's ideas...

RichGarner

• Palmer
  • Metalface Creator
    • Metalface RPG
Reply #27 on: March 30, 2007, 07:37:40 PM
About schools of dolphins - PodPod

About law enforcement officers - CopPod

About dealing with difficult situations - CopePod

About superheroes - CapePod

About super police officers - CapedCopsPod

About dealing with schools of super police - CopingWithCapedCopsPodPod

"...for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart." -Ecclesiastes 7:2

ajames

• Lochage
Reply #28 on: March 30, 2007, 11:27:18 PM
Anyone else notice that at the bottom of the whois link it states that the database only contains .com, .net, and .edu domains? 

RichGarner

• Palmer
  • Metalface Creator
    • Metalface RPG
Reply #29 on: March 31, 2007, 01:59:15 AM

"...for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart." -Ecclesiastes 7:2

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #30 on: April 02, 2007, 12:13:33 AM
After long consideration (and dinner with Sarah Prineas), I have come to the not-so-sterling conclusion that my contest entry shall be:

PodQuest

which sounds vaguely like podcast.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #31 on: April 02, 2007, 12:17:14 AM
OK. It looks like Podquest is owned by godaddy.com which appears, in turn, to be a web hosting service. Is that okay or not kosher?

(Also, in what possible circumstance other than this one is Podquest a good name to have? Who thought to buy that one up? Odd.)

Further, I officially declare Spellcast to be completely awesome.

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #32 on: April 02, 2007, 01:56:29 AM
alright - this is what I've sent in so far:

dragonpod
the magic inn
unreal places
corners of the world

Roney

• Lochage
Reply #33 on: April 03, 2007, 05:42:48 AM
Once they are emailed, is it alright to reveal our suggestions in the forum?  We might get some neat synergy if we feed off each other's ideas...

I agree, and if the internet were a happy, fluffy place I'd be entirely in favour.  Unfortunately there's a danger with this approach that I'm not going to state more explicitly in case it gives people evil ideas.  I'd strongly recommend that contestants keep their suggestions private.

vern

• Extern
Reply #34 on: April 03, 2007, 07:14:57 PM
One of my first thoughts was dragonpod.org.  In checking for availability, I see that Steve registered it a few days ago.

Josh

• Palmer
Reply #35 on: April 04, 2007, 12:05:53 AM
One of my first thoughts was dragonpod.org.  In checking for availability, I see that Steve registered it a few days ago.

Does that mean he is going to use it?

vern

• Extern
Reply #36 on: April 04, 2007, 02:54:26 AM

Does that mean he is going to use it?

Not necessarily.  It just means he liked it enough to make sure no one else registers it.  That doesn't mean he won't find one that he likes better.  The contest is open until the 15th so there's plenty of time to find the one true gem that everyone will agree is the name for the new podcast.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #37 on: April 04, 2007, 10:42:13 AM
It just means he liked it enough to make sure no one else registers it.

Which makes sense -- although I don't personally like Dragonpod as a title, if it's what a significant portion of the population first thinks of when they think of "fantasy" + "podcast", then it's certainly got a branding advantage. Even if he selects a different name, he could always set up a redirect or advertisement on DP.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #38 on: April 05, 2007, 02:16:20 AM
It just means he liked it enough to make sure no one else registers it.

Which makes sense -- although I don't personally like Dragonpod as a title, if it's what a significant portion of the population first thinks of when they think of "fantasy" + "podcast", then it's certainly got a branding advantage. Even if he selects a different name, he could always set up a redirect or advertisement on DP.

I agree, but to me "Dragonpod" sounds a lot like "Dragon Page".

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Hilary Moon Murphy

• Palmer
  • Proving the inherent superiority of purple hair
Reply #39 on: April 05, 2007, 11:18:10 PM
Dragonpod was the first thing I thought of too.  I would not complain if it were selected.

However, if you ever do a children's podcast, you really should consider the name "Podkayne" for Heinlein's Podkayne of Mars.  The domains are wide open.  The only drawback for that one is that it would be hard to spell, but otherwise it's perfect.

Hmm
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 11:19:46 PM by Hilary Moon Murphy »

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #40 on: April 09, 2007, 11:17:22 AM
My only submission was ThereBeDragonPod, meant to be vaguely illusory to the old "here be dragons" that apparently appears only once in cartography but takes up about 90% of the headspace for the here be ______ bit.

Sorry Palimpsest.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Josh

• Palmer
Reply #41 on: April 09, 2007, 12:23:47 PM
I did a couple of D&D spoofs.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #42 on: April 09, 2007, 04:46:53 PM
   Just out of interest, is anyone else finding WHOIS very very slow at the moment?  I've not been able to get anything out of them for twenty four hours or so.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #43 on: April 09, 2007, 05:34:45 PM
   Just out of interest, is anyone else finding WHOIS very very slow at the moment?  I've not been able to get anything out of them for twenty four hours or so.

There have been a fair number of attacks directed at DNS in recent months, it could be that one's going on and they're choosing not to publicize it. Are you just using the link that Steve put or another service?

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #44 on: April 10, 2007, 03:20:14 PM
The link in the message which, oddly, is now working fine again.  So now I feel slightly foolish:)

bekemeyer

• Palmer
    • ScatterPod
Reply #45 on: April 11, 2007, 02:57:29 AM
The Wonderful Wizard of Pod?

Excuse me, but what exactly is ScatterPod?

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #46 on: April 11, 2007, 03:51:18 AM
I thought I had a strong contender with Dragon's Hoard, but it was taken (however unused).  This has been the case with many of my thoughts.  It does get frustrating.  I'm sure I'm not the only only one.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #47 on: April 11, 2007, 03:59:04 AM
Steve, it would be interesting to see a list of unique suggestions when the contest is over.

For anyone who's interested, my suggestions so far have been:

Travelers' Tale Tavern
Pixie Pod
The Fire Swamp
Invisible Pink Unicorns
Escape To Fantasy

Some where more for humor, but most of my good ideas were taken. 

Of course, with everyone else, my first obvious thought was Dragon Pod, which I suggested before there was even a contest, however I know that doesn't count.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Startrekwiki

Reply #48 on: April 11, 2007, 04:27:21 AM
I was leaning towards LegendPod but I suppose that wouldn't be imaginative enough. If anyone has a hundred-or-so old thesaurus, now is the time to pull it off the shelf!

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #49 on: April 12, 2007, 09:34:01 PM
I lied, one more entry: Once Upon A Pod (try saying it).