Author Topic: PC Miniature 76: Quiet Death Machines  (Read 5418 times)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
on: September 06, 2013, 04:28:48 AM
PodCastle Miniature 76: Quiet Death Machines

by Gillian Daniels.

Read by David D. Levine.

A PodCastle Original!

The evil boy genius lives in a lighthouse with his handsome older brothers. They are loud and aggressively kind. He is neither. Instead, the evil boy genius wants to very softly destroy the world with quiet death machines. He edges knives in cork and skewers stuffed bears on meat hooks.

Listen to this week’s PodCastle!

evrgrn_monster

• Lochage
  • SQUAW, MY OPINIONS.
Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 12:59:46 AM
This was adorable at first, then softly padded its way to being heartbreaking. The descriptions of the various ways the evil boy genius kept things quiet, coupled with the continual twists of the "evil genius" trope, made this a really fun listen. I don't know if it's something I'd want an entire, full length narrative on, but as a bit of flash, it was perfect.

idiggory

• Extern
Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 05:45:43 PM
I agree.  It was enjoyable and refreshing.  But I don't think I would have been interested in a longer version.  I didn't enjoy this one as much as I enjoyed Doctor Diablo Goes Through the Motions, but it wasn't a bad way to spend 6 minutes.

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 08:52:17 PM
There were so many delicious details and phrases in this! Sharks spliced with cat DNA, for example. And the threatening letter including the phrase "in my paypal account." The FBI sure under-estimated this former evil boy genius... :D

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 09:18:22 PM
Oh, this is who Stewie Griffin should have been!  What a great story; fun and quietly evil!

InfiniteMonkey

• Lochage
  • Clearly, I need more typewriters....
Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 03:43:43 AM
Can't the evil genius get the girl at least once?

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
  • Have towel, will travel.
Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 11:11:28 AM

Nope. When you become an evil boy genius you are contractually obligated to not get the girl.

The only thing that bothered me was splicing cats and sharks. Sharks, being aquatic creatures that do not breathe air, don't make any noise. So sharks that purr are louder than normal sharks.
Other than that it was a fun little story, just the right length.

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 02:49:15 AM
I enjoyed this one, but I was a little confused by the sequence of events.  Evil genius plots to destroy world, pines for girl, loses girl and therefore... continues... to plot to destroy the world?  And succeeds?  It made the whole interlude with the girl feel a little superfluous.

Overall fun.  I just had a fridge logic moment afterward.

evrgrn_monster

• Lochage
  • SQUAW, MY OPINIONS.
Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 03:15:32 AM

I think there was a story that was quite recently run where the evil genius got the boy. "My Heart is a Quadratic Equation" if I am remembering correctly.

rlzack

• Extern
Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 12:08:05 AM
A fun little story.

How much was imagination, and how much was real? I suppose that is the whole point, isn't it?

Spindaddy

• Peltast
  • Small god of doughnuts
Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 12:56:05 AM
I wasn't much for this one. I could understand wanting to destroy the world AFTER the girl went missing, but before? Some of the language was fun and I liked that he did succeed in destroying the world.

I'm not evil. I'm corporate.

quasidoza

• Extern
Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 06:10:20 AM
If he spoke to the girl she may not have drowned herself, he may of got the girl and decided not to destroy the world.

So next time you're being stalked, go talk to that crazy person ... wait that's not right.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 02:13:41 PM
I enjoyed this one, full of laughs.  I did think the cat-shark hybrid didn't make a lot of sense, but was still amusing.

I wasn't bothered by scattercat's fridge logic.  He wants to destroy the world anyway, but when he is rejected, then he WANTS TO DESTROY THE WORLD OUT OF REVENGE!!!  Which is totally worse.  For some reason.  I know it doesn't make sense, but I get the sense that it makes sense to HIM, and that's all that matters here.