Author Topic: What is the name of this story?  (Read 9525 times)

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
on: September 06, 2013, 07:05:14 PM
On one of the three podcasts, not TOO terribly long ago (like not in 2007 or something, but within the last year or so) there was a story where the societal norm was to get a lobotomy to eliminate emotions, and the character had a lobotomy but it didn't take. And the author expertly switched back and forth between first, second, and third person POV to show the shifts.

It was wonderful, and I can't remember who wrote it, which podcast it was on, or when it appeared. :)

Help me, Obi Wan Moderatorbi (or the Padawan Forumites). You're my only hope(s).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 08:16:12 PM by Kaa »

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 08:06:15 PM
Damn. I know this one. Don't you hate it when it's right there on the tip of your brain?

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Kaa

• Hipparch
    • WriteWright
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 08:15:01 PM
Yes. Welcome to my hell. :)

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 09:21:06 PM
No thank you, I've already got one. Yes, it's very nice.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Cheshire_Snark

• Palmer
Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 09:48:27 PM
Is that the one where he jumps off the bridge near the end, and the story finishes up with him being all self-pitying and bitter in the recovery home (but perversely proud about his suffering)....?

Because dammit I can't remember that title either...

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 03:54:30 PM
It was episode 253 of PSEUDOPOD "Trying To Stay Dead" by Richard S. Crawford and read by Steve Anderson

http://pseudopod.org/2011/10/28/pseudopod-253-trying-to-stay-dead/

He starts, as all of us do, in first person, then receives the fad operation to think in third person but it's faulty and he ends up trying to commit suicide and finishes stuck forever in second person (the most pretentious and annoying "person", or so I'm constantly told but still do not see...)

Kaa

• Hipparch
    • WriteWright
Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 10:36:26 PM
Yes! That's the one, Sgarre1. Thanks for finding it. I was looking through all of my quotes on the forums ever, trying to find it, and this came in before I got more than a few pages in and saved me a lot of work. :)