Author Topic: Steve's LiveJournal  (Read 5197 times)

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
on: April 08, 2007, 02:42:05 AM
...Yeah, that's right, I've finally caught up with the year 2002.

I've had an account there for years, in order to leave comments on other people's LJs, but I've only just in the past week started using it for my own content.  It makes more sense for me to do any personal blogging there than to subvert these forums for my own meanderings and life details.  But if any of you happen to want to follow that stuff, here you go:

http://sfeley.livejournal.com

(Ultimately, of course, this is minx's fault.  And don't let her tell you different.)  >8->

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Michael

• Peltast
Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 09:58:52 AM
For some reason I found Live Journals interface offputting, though like all powerful software it seems to hold promise for those who master it.  If I may ask, what attracts you to live journal over the more common Blogger or Myspace accounts?

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 11:35:55 AM
iirc livejournal predates both and I believe Steve said that he had created the account originally to post to others live journal pages, and finally decided to post a page of his own.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 02:08:45 PM
For some reason I found Live Journals interface offputting, though like all powerful software it seems to hold promise for those who master it.  If I may ask, what attracts you to live journal over the more common Blogger or Myspace accounts?

Long answer: the conversations I wanted to engage in and the people I wanted to keep updated were already active on LiveJournal, making it the path of least resistance from a social perspective. 

Short answer: Miss M.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 05:40:56 PM
<internet snob>I'm sort of amused that a conversation about poor interfaces begins with someone speaking in support of myspace.</snob>

Michael

• Peltast
Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 07:10:51 PM
To be accurate, I did not speak in support, I asked why LiveJournal rather than the more COMMON (and yes I also mean popular) Blogger or MySpace approaches.  Acccording to Wikipedia, MySpace registers 230,000 new people a DAY.  I don't keep a presence at MySpace, because it is owned by Rupert Murdoch, but many people clearly do...   

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 07:44:12 PM
I keep a myspace page, despite the Murdoch taint. It's not very useful for networking. (FWIW, I find livejournal to also be more useful for networking than blogger because of the friends' list function. Also, blogger's comments sections sort of suck a lot.)

Since you started your comment with an objection to LJ's user interface, I assumed you were placing blogger and myspace in contrast to that. I apologize for misinterpreting you.