Author Topic: New Member/Listeners  (Read 370537 times)

Umbrageofsnow

• Hipparch
  • Commenting by the seat of my pants.
Reply #500 on: March 19, 2013, 03:47:17 PM
Also curious that two series, the 50 shades trilogy and the Sleeping Beauty trilogy that many dismiss as poorly written erotica, were both written by women.

I think the poor quality of writing in both those cases (and the Twilight series, for that matter) is pretty much an objective, grammatical/stylistic thing.  Some people can enjoy bad writing, fine, but there are basic levels of quality control not seen in any of those stories.  And believe me, just because we came up with 3 women writers as examples, women BY NO MEANS have a monopoly on bad writing.

Frankly, even de Sade is not someone I would use to defend the quality of anyone else's writing.  Or subject matter.  Sex can be done well, an argument could be made for Poppy Z. Brite for example, but...

Eh, I don't know where I'm going with this, and this isn't really the thread for it.

Welcome to the forum Simon and Lady Lazarus!

EDIT: Holy crap, that was the post that pushed me over the line into Hipparchship!  I wonder if that somehow summarizes my forum presence in some metaphorical or mystical way?  Discursive rambling and then trailing off.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 03:49:10 PM by Umbrageofsnow »

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #501 on: March 19, 2013, 04:15:33 PM
EDIT: Holy crap, that was the post that pushed me over the line into Hipparchship!  I wonder if that somehow summarizes my forum presence in some metaphorical or mystical way?  Discursive rambling and then trailing off.

And we love you for it Umbrage! :D

Meds

• Extern
  • Voicing words by creative excellence.
Reply #502 on: March 19, 2013, 11:07:16 PM
To be honest my comment was of general humourous intent not as a critique. ;) my wife has read the three books and informed me it was atrocious so I allowed my eyes to wonder over a few pages and its just badly constructed and what I read just seems to be a collection of descriptions. Fair play though for making a huge amount of hard cash.

My voice is for your ears only.

cvasilevski

• Extern
Reply #503 on: March 21, 2013, 02:15:43 AM
Hi all!

I'm a long-time listener of all 3 shows, but this is my first post on the forums. I'm interested in reading the entrants for Pseudopod flash contest #3.

Thanks!

VT

• Extern
Reply #504 on: March 21, 2013, 04:33:21 PM
Hi

Same with me - I like the way there's a vote on the competition entrants. Sometimes (where there's only a committee who chooses), I wonder why the winning story was selected, or what the rest of the competition was like!

mercurio

• Extern
Reply #505 on: March 24, 2013, 04:49:58 PM
Hi,

Longtime listener, first time poster. :)

Posting this to say hello, and to make sure that my account doesn't get purged.

thanks,

mercurio

Murray

• Extern
Reply #506 on: March 25, 2013, 09:39:02 PM
I'm posting so I can read the competition entries! ;D

minispec

• Extern
Reply #507 on: March 26, 2013, 05:34:22 PM
Ditto.  Long time listener, first time forum user.

keikokat

• Extern
Reply #508 on: March 27, 2013, 12:54:12 AM
Hi!  I'm new to this forum, but I've been listening to Escape Artists podcasts (particularly Escape Pod and Pseudopod) for a while now.  I've been reading sci-fi and fantasy since I was a kid, and have recently been trying to make myself write some.  I admire those who do, cuz it's very, very hard!   :P

Zombied

• Extern
Reply #509 on: March 29, 2013, 12:20:31 AM
HI :)
I'm new here. My name's Radoslav and I just wanned to say hello :)

lyda

• Extern
Reply #510 on: April 01, 2013, 10:18:12 PM
In the process of making the switch from iTunes for podcasts to Pocket Casts, I polled my friends for podcast suggestions. Escape Pod was recommended *a lot*. So I tuned in and was hooked. I'm still a few episodes behind, but love the show so far! Hope to catch up and participate in active threads.

alsatia

• Extern
Reply #511 on: April 09, 2013, 10:12:28 PM
Hello!  I've been listening to Escape Pod and Pseudopod for a couple of years now, but I've only just now gotten around to signing up for the forum.  Looking forward to following the discussion here.  :)

eternalmusings

• Extern
Reply #512 on: April 21, 2013, 02:07:02 AM
Hello, I'm a new member on the boards. Heard about the story contest and wanted to see what was submitted.

Citizen Q

• Extern
Reply #513 on: April 23, 2013, 09:49:40 AM

Hello!  :)

Scribblor

• Extern
    • My blog
Reply #514 on: April 30, 2013, 12:20:38 PM
Hi all!

I'm posting to say hi, and to make sure my account doesn't get purged.

My name's Michael, and I'm a videogame designer from England who's decided to stop dreaming about being a published writer and start actually writing (it turns out that to do one you actually have to do the other. Who knew?). I've been listening to the podcasts for the past couple of years on my commute to work. I find the feedback sections really engaging, so thought I should finally get involved.

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #515 on: April 30, 2013, 12:34:39 PM
Welcome.  any games we may know of that you've worked on?

Scribblor

• Extern
    • My blog
Reply #516 on: April 30, 2013, 01:21:21 PM
I currently work at Ninja Theory, so I worked on Enslaved and Devil May Cry (the one the Internet hated, where Dante doesn't have white hair. It's good though!).

Before I was a designer I was in QA (I was a tester) at 2K, who are a publisher, so I worked on LOADS of games. The biggest of which were Bioshock and The Darkness.

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #517 on: May 01, 2013, 12:15:19 AM
very cool.  again welcome to the forums.

d4ngerman

• Extern
Reply #518 on: May 05, 2013, 04:00:58 AM
Howdy,

Making my first post.  Love this group of podcasts and couldn't help but become interested in all the 'forum posts' that get quoted at the end of episodes.  Looking forward to contributing!

D4nger

Xinthliss

• Extern
Reply #519 on: May 09, 2013, 07:28:28 AM
Just a "hi" post so I can use polls. I quite recently stumbled on Escape Pod wile looking for podcasts for my daily commute; currently I'm still in the happy position of still having hundreds of episodes in the queue :-)

Thanks for making this available!

russt

• Extern
Reply #520 on: May 09, 2013, 09:09:06 PM
Just posting in order to participate fully on the forums.

I found out about Escape Artists by hearing a friend reading some of these stories to me, and I'm listening to my first podcast now. So far, great fun!

Hel

• Extern
Reply #521 on: May 10, 2013, 05:43:46 AM
Hi :)

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #522 on: May 10, 2013, 08:39:33 AM
Hi everyone! I'm Alasdair, the host of Pseudopod and co-host of Escape Pod. Welcome to the forums:)

huntsoda

• Extern
Reply #523 on: May 21, 2013, 03:30:55 AM
Here's hoping this works!
So my name is Hunter (or huntsoda), and I've listened to Escapepod for a few months and have really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to some good discussion here!
-Hunter

Moritz

• Lochage
Reply #524 on: May 22, 2013, 11:14:06 AM
Hi, my name is Moritz (which is my real first name), and I am new to the boards. I have been listening to Pseudopod since around 2008 and to Podcastle since around 2011. I recently managed to finish listening to all of Podcastle's back catalogue and now feel ready to join the forum  ;D Now I'm going through Pseudopod's older episodes. I found out about Escape Artists via my favorite forum, rpg.net, where I am also known as "Moritz".

I live in Eastern Germany at the border to Poland and teach management. I usually listen to episodes on my walk (!) to work, when doing chores, or at the fitness studio. My favorite spec fic genres are Urban Fantasy and Lovecraftian Horror, though my one published short story is classical horror I guess.