Author Topic: New Member/Listeners  (Read 361428 times)

dyyanae

• Extern
Reply #175 on: October 16, 2008, 12:51:49 AM
Hello everyone!

I discovered Escape Pod earlier this year and am currently working my way through past episodes trying to get caught up to the present.  (hmmm, sort of my life story  ;))

Firstly, I'd like to say how wonderful the whole Escape Pod enterprise is and say thank you so much to Stephen and all those who have a hand in bringing these stories to us.  As a long time SF fan, I can hardly tell you how delighted I was to stumble upon these terrific stories (I also hope to catch up on Pseudopod and PodCastle when time allows). 

I'd also like to take a moment to thank all the listeners who so generously support Escape Artists.  Although this is not easy to admit in public, I'm one of those who would like to donate but simply can't at the present time.  Living on a fixed income, especially with the recent increase in grocery prices, it's becoming difficult to simply make ends meet.  So, again, I'd like to say how much your support means to someone like myself.  (Hopefully, there will be a time in the future when I will be one of the people bringing these stories to everyone.)

I developed some disabling conditions in my late thirties, but over the last few years I've slowly started a career as an artist.  I also take care of my elderly father.  Balancing the art work with errands and caregiver duties and flare-ups, I don't always have have the time and energy to post, but please forgive me when I do...I tend to be long winded with all the ideas I've been saving up   :)

I think I was prompted to finally say hello today when I got thinking about how I was introduced to science fiction.  It's funny, but although I watch little television these days, I realized television must have been my earliest exposure to SF.  I remember avidly watching the original Star Trek series with my mother when I was around seven.  I was probably not reading at magazine or novel levels yet, so that must have been the first!  There were also series such as The Time Tunnel, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Batman and The Wild Wild West...all shows that if not outright science fiction, brought us whole new worlds to experience.  And how I loved that!  I don't clearly remember the first SF book I ever read after this exposure, but I do know I never stopped   :)

These days I remain primarily a reader, but also love listening to stories.  Radio in our area doesn't always have what I want and our Library's audio books aren't very comprehensive. So Escape Pod was a wonderful discovery for me!  It's perfect to listen to while I'm working on a piece or simply doing housework.  The quality of the stories is generally terrific, and I truly enjoy Stephen's comments and slice of life stories.   

I may not post again for awhile (Dad's recovering from some recent surgery so it's been crazybusy) but I look forward to spending some time here and joining in some of the great discussions. 

Bye for now,
                Rae 

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #176 on: October 16, 2008, 08:59:56 PM
Hello dyyanae and sjg1978, and welcome to the show!
You both know the rules and how the game is played. If you have any questions, we promise to answer. Maybe not well, but we will answer.
If you have any problems, just send it on the back of a $100 bill to:
TCoRN
c/o R-ss-ll N-sh
1313 Mockingbird Ln.
10101 Berlin
Germany

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Russell Nash

Reply #177 on: October 17, 2008, 08:43:57 AM
Thaur likes to be the greeting committee.  Don't worry he doesn't bite unless I tell him to.  Enjoy the forums.

slothflyer

• Extern
Reply #178 on: October 27, 2008, 09:25:08 PM
I posted this, in the writing forum, but thought I might introduce myself here as well:

"oh, and I am new to the forums, I would be posting more in the other forums, but I am new to escape pod/pseudopod/podcastle and I wanted to hear the entire back catalog of escape pod and podcastle before I begin posting thoughts or comments, I am only about 5 behind in podcastle and I am episode 60-something of escape pod.  I plan on listening to pseudopod the same way, but it is better for me to digest horror at a much slower rate."

In addition I just want to say how incredibly impressive these podcasts are and how fortunate I feel to get to experience them. 

I'm slothflyer, I'm a 9-1-1 dispatcher and EMT from UltraMegaRural, Kentucky, a suburb of Nowhere.  Thanks to the internet and things like Escape Pod et al. I feel like even though I live in a tiny place, I'm still part of what's happeneing and still able to keep my finger on the pulse of the times, without the headache of the place.

So, Hi.

edit: hi slothflyer! moved this post here because this is the official intro thread! :) welcome to the forums and the community and I hope to see more of you!  and feel free to ask anyone any questions you have
-bdoomed

Bdoomed is always so damned polite when he's dealing with the newbies.  I always think they need a good beating.
-Russell Nash
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 09:48:32 PM by Russell Nash »

cubiksrube

• Extern
  • still working on that novel
    • Cubik's Rube
Reply #179 on: November 16, 2008, 03:56:26 PM
Ahoy hoy from another newbie,

I first happened upon PseudoPod earlier this year, and discovered the others soon enough. Having finally caught up with my backlog of EscapePod stories, I'm planning to start weighing in on some of the discussions here now, and hope to do the same with the others once I've worked through the other archives too.

I'm a big fan of everyone's work here, and with luck I'll get around to writing some more of a possible submission story one of these days too.

So, hi!

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #180 on: December 31, 2008, 12:19:32 AM
hello cubicksrube! Always so nice to "see" fresh meat a new face! I hope you chime in often! Discussions here can be so much fun!

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Poppydragon

• Peltast
Reply #181 on: January 28, 2009, 03:46:54 PM
Thought I'd better say hello since I've only just got this far down the forums list. I'm Peter, live in the NE of England and read everything and anything. I discovered the Escape/PseudoPod/Castle fairly recently and have had the joy of listening to lots of the back list over the last month or so as I drive around North Yorkshire for work. I'm now in the happy position of waiting for the next one rather than seeing the list get longer in front of me. I agree about the quality of the Incarnations series but also love Poppy Z Bright and Kim Newman, I've just discovered Joe Hill whose Heart Shaped Box is the first book in many a year that I've actually had to put down for a spell as it was creeping me out  :o

Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments - owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #182 on: January 28, 2009, 03:52:05 PM
Welcome Poppydragon to the mesh!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Arion

• Extern
Reply #183 on: February 07, 2009, 07:37:43 AM
New to the forums, all caught up on EP back a year and half or so.  Love it, love it. and so do my tired aging eyes.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #184 on: February 07, 2009, 02:47:55 PM
Hello Arion: I'm with you on the eyes thing. I've been needing new glasses every year or so lately and I'm tired of getting "eye strain" plus there's no way I'm old enough for large print books. Welcome to the zoo!

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

E_Soul

• Extern
Reply #185 on: February 09, 2009, 03:44:16 PM
Hi all!

I've been listening to the various podcasts for awhile now, but I just decided to jump into the discussion. I'm from Boston, but I'm studying in the UK for about 5 months.

I love sci fi, particularly steampunk, but horror draws a close second. Fantasy can be fun, but it's not always my cup of tea.

Ok, that's all for now. See you around the forums!

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #186 on: February 09, 2009, 10:45:59 PM
Hi Soul!  Is okay if I call you Soul?   ;)

Love the steampunk zeppelin icon.

Anarquistador

• Matross
  • Servant of Fire
    • The Pit
Reply #187 on: March 29, 2009, 01:29:53 PM
Well, I've been kicking around for a few podcasts, but I never formally introduced myself, so this seemed like a good place to do it.

I'm Anarquistador, and I call myself that because my real name is boring. I'm really quite dull and depressing, but I enjoy a good piece of sci-fi or fantasy fiction. I'm a recovering metalhead, a recovering Trekkie, and a current Ringer (you should see the meetings I go to). I listen to a lot of podcasts, Podcastle among them, and I have a blog where I post my random observations on life, politics, and theory. I also have a movie review website, which is an artifact from a past life but I still keep up with it.

I was raised Catholic, but I'm not practicing. If you were to twist my arm, I'd call myself a Deist. Or perhaps a Gnostic. I seek knowledge, at least. I consider myself a Progressive, but it depends on the cause. I know, politics and religion are not things to discuss in pleasant company, but I do enjoy a good argument. Good for the circulation.

That's me in a nutshell...I think.

"Technology: a word we use to describe something that doesn't work yet."

- Douglas Adams

http://www.thereviewpit.com
http://thesuburbsofhell.blogspot.com

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #188 on: March 29, 2009, 06:48:11 PM
YAY! you dont seem that boring man, don worry bout it :P
welcome to the cul- i mean forums!

RichardBlank

• Extern
    • Costa Rica’s Call Center
Reply #189 on: May 27, 2009, 12:13:56 AM
After reading a few threads,I wanted to introduce myself to this community and look forward to sharing ideas with other forum members.

Best regards,

Richard

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #190 on: May 27, 2009, 03:21:51 AM
HELLOOOOOOO RICHARD! there's a thread for this, but, whatever :P.

Russell Nash

Reply #191 on: May 27, 2009, 05:51:50 AM
Moving it there now.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #192 on: July 31, 2009, 09:08:55 PM
Hello everybody.
I just confirmed my first fiction sale yesterday morning, a story right here at Pseudopod, so I'm just poking around and seeing what's up on the forums.  :)
I'm looking forward to jumping in on some of the topics here, especially the writing-related ones, and I've got some catching up to do on listening to stories as well.
Anyway, I'll see you guys around the place.  :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 03:38:23 PM by Unblinking »

koosie

• Extern
    • Koosie's RAC Blog
Reply #193 on: August 02, 2009, 09:41:32 PM
Hullo!
I was hooked after someone played me 'Elvis in the attic' and I'm still working my way through these excellent stories. Male, UK, 30s - currently reading Stephen Baxter's Time's Tapestry series. Big fan of Ian M Banks, Robert Silverberg, Kurt Vonnegut, Phil K Dick etc. Pretty standard stuff I'd imagine. I write a little bit but mostly my life is filled with gardening and propagating lots of lovely plants.

Zathras

Reply #194 on: August 23, 2009, 03:14:15 AM
I'd like to welcome everyone that is coming to the forums from the blog!

Step right up and introduce yourself!

Serrat

• Extern
Reply #195 on: August 25, 2009, 01:51:34 PM
Long, longtime listener, first time poster to the forum. EA metacast finally inspired me to get up off my fanny.

American, female 20 something, who is very, very grateful for transformative, high quality podcasts like this one since I'm chained to a desk for... nearly every waking minute. Making comics and videogames for $$ tends to do that to a life. Pseudopod/Escape Artists pretty much directly initiated me to getting back into writing prose, which was the precursor to the current career. It's all one big creative shindig.

When I get some free project time, I would love the chance to ask Maura McHugh about making a comic from her "Bone Mother" short from #128.

So, ahm... hello.

John Oliver

• Extern
Reply #196 on: August 25, 2009, 10:48:31 PM
Been listening to all three podcasts for a while, and I finally got around to subscribing and signing up to the forums.  I really enjoy the quality of all of the speculative fiction I listen to.  Keep up the excellent job.  I want to see EA survive the 2012 end of civilization and then some.

izzardfan

Reply #197 on: August 26, 2009, 01:39:36 AM
Been listening to all three podcasts for a while, and I finally got around to subscribing and signing up to the forums.  I really enjoy the quality of all of the speculative fiction I listen to.  Keep up the excellent job.  I want to see EA survive the 2012 end of civilization and then some.

Welcome Serrat and John Oliver!

I personally believe that 2012 won't be a "global disaster" as depicted in the movie trailer, but the end of the current situation AND the beginning of something better for the world.

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #198 on: August 26, 2009, 01:51:53 AM

I personally believe that 2012 won't be a "global disaster" as depicted in the movie trailer, but the end of the current situation AND the beginning of something better for the world.

You honestly think a zombie apocalypse will be the beginning of something better for the world?

Zathras

Reply #199 on: August 26, 2009, 01:59:42 AM

You honestly think a zombie apocalypse will be the beginning of something better for the world?

I do.  But that's for a different thread.