Author Topic: EP424: Biographical Fragments of the Life of Julian Prince  (Read 22814 times)

Gamercow

• Hipparch
I was going to come along and science all over this thread, but I see CryptoMe has that handled nicely, as they usually do. 

Instead, I will just say this:  If you're an American, re-listen to this episode keeping in mind the devastation of Katrina, particularly with respect to the refugees and their stories. 

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

hardware

• Matross
I'm proned to like this kind of literary experiments, and I did, although there were certainly parts that did not work that great. It's always difficult to write about a fictional genius, it you don't happen to be one yourself, and specially a genius at writing fiction. So, yeah, you can fall back on mentioning Pulitzers and then quote talk show appearances rather than what the genius wrote, but even that and the quotes didn't really sell what made him special.

Like LaShawn said., the political implications of millions of americans moving into Africa seems vastly underestimated, but it seemed that the author only really wanted the story to be about the americans and their reaction, and I guess he did not want to make that a factor.

But overall, I liked the exploration of the phases of collective shock and how his personal experiences mingled in the political issues. A somewhat flawed experiment of a story, but I'm glad to see these kind of things tried out in a sci-fi context.

Gamercow

• Hipparch
One final thought on this:  It seemed to me to be a short story about a novel that the author wanted to write.  It just had that feeling to me, that they had an overall plot line, and nuggets of story/dialog, but for whatever reason could not put them together.  After much suffering, they decided to get meta and write a story about their story.  I'm probably 100% wrong, but that's how it came across to me.

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
I was going to come along and science all over this thread, but I see CryptoMe has that handled nicely, as they usually do. 

Thank you for the compliment ;)
By the way, my avatar *is* an impact crater....