Author Topic: EP426: Flash Fiction Special  (Read 11518 times)

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #25 on: December 31, 2013, 06:05:35 PM
The Future is Set is my favorite of the bunch. Such a tight narrative and so full for only 500 words.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #26 on: January 02, 2014, 01:16:10 PM
The Future is Set is my favorite of the bunch. Such a tight narrative and so full for only 500 words.

Agreed. When I first voted in the contest, I think "Four Tickets" was my favorite, but TFIS surpasses it. I also liked "Life Sentence" -- I think that while it's not exactly un-obvious what's going to happen (when reading it in print, at least), it's still written chillingly-well.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

SF.Fangirl

• Peltast
Reply #27 on: January 31, 2014, 11:28:04 PM
I am not normally a fan of flash fic just because it too short for me to get into and usually relies on a twist.  While two of these did rely on a twist, I liked all three a good bit.  Great stories.  Clearly the contest got quality submission and had a very successful voting process.

I guessed where "Life Sentence" was going pretty quickly, but it was short enough that I didn't mind.

During the listen, "The Future is Set" was my favorite.  Bittersweet.

But "Four Tickets" stuck with me longer.  Great world building in a very brief story (flash fiction usually has no time for that) and there's enough great stuff there that I'd love to read more of the world and the character.

hardware

• Matross
Reply #28 on: May 14, 2014, 07:48:27 AM
I also usually have a bit of struggle to listen to Flash Fiction (reading is easier for some reason), but these three were all good stories, and as far as I am concerned even in the right order. First came the clever thought experiment with a nice but just slightly expected twist. Then the mindboggling high concept, classic sci fi, and last came the emotional punch. Well done!