Author Topic: EP444: Those Are Pearls That Were His Eyes  (Read 13338 times)

danthelawyer

• Extern
Reply #25 on: May 17, 2014, 02:53:18 PM
Yes, I have the feeling ipods are definitely going out of style. I very much like having a smart phone, but I haven't quite shifted my podcast listening to it.

As to substance, though: does no one share my problem with Ms. Ellis?

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
  • Have towel, will travel.
Reply #26 on: May 17, 2014, 09:06:17 PM
so I set my ipod (yes, I still use an ipod)

You say you still use an iPod as though it's antiquated--are those going out of style or something?

For the record, although I listen to my podcasts on my phone now because it's just easier, I still use my old iPod video for music and audiobooks. They're fading, but they're not dead yet...

Ah.  I still have a stone-age stupidphone.  It has no touch screen, nor Internet access, both by my preference.  When I bought this phone it was the only model left from my carrier that met both those criteria.

I still have a stupidphone too. It's slowly losing functionality. A few weeks ago the vibrate alert died. Last week it stopped recognizing when I plugged in a headset. I suppose that someday soon I may need to part with it, but I don't want to.

I've only had this one since November, but you can already tell that it was not built to last very long. My last phone I had for something like 7 years and it survived numerous drops and an immersion in water.  This one, the battery casing pops open and the battery falls on the floor if it gets bumped.  It's a cheap piece of crap.

Maybe you should poke around eBay and come up with one of those indestructible "vintage" Nokias....

That's what I have. Assuming it lives until August, it will turn 6. My previous Nokia lasted 7 years.
I probably won't be getting a new Nokia because everything about Windows Phone gives me the heebie jeebies.

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

Cutter McKay

• Hipparch
  • "I was the turkey the whoooole time!"
    • Detention Block AA23
Reply #27 on: May 18, 2014, 12:33:23 AM
Fun point of trivia for you: Do you know what the best selling phone of all time is? It's not the iPhone, or anything Galaxy S, or even the RAZR. Yup, it's the Nokia 1110, selling more than 250 million. Says something for those old "dumb" phones, I think.

-Josh Morrey-
http://joshmorreywriting.blogspot.com/
"Remember: You have not yet written your best work." -Tracy Hickman

Dem

• Lochage
  • aka conboyhillfiction.wordpress.com
    • Suzanne Conboy-Hill
Reply #28 on: May 18, 2014, 08:08:05 AM
Probably says more for a vast new market and very few alternatives :)

Science is what you do when the funding panel thinks you know what you're doing. Fiction is the same only without the funding.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #29 on: June 06, 2014, 09:00:36 PM

I prefer slower narrations to fast ones. You can always speed up a slow one, but slowing down a fast one is more problematic. Also, there are some slow narrations that intend to make you slow down and enjoy the scenery (e.g. Sinners and Saints, Dragons and Haints).

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

matweller

• EA Staff
Reply #30 on: June 07, 2014, 02:55:06 AM

I prefer slower narrations to fast ones. You can always speed up a slow one, but slowing down a fast one is more problematic. Also, there are some slow narrations that intend to make you slow down and enjoy the scenery (e.g. Sinners and Saints, Dragons and Haints).

I adore her narration. She could read me the phone book and I'd listen for hours.

hardware

• Matross
Reply #31 on: August 18, 2014, 02:12:01 PM
I enjoy these kind of moodpieces, when they are well written and gives me an interesting setting and thought out characters. This one did that, although it almost felt like an opening chapter more than a complete story. I liked that the 'ghost' of her former relationship didn't take over the story too much, it was just something that held the protagonist back. Beautiful writing and solid narration.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #32 on: January 20, 2015, 02:15:19 AM
Slowly catching up with my EP....
I just had to post, because I notoriously hate slice of life stories. Always have, even as a child. My thinking has always been, if I want a slice of life, I just look out my window. But as others have pointed out, this slice was so different from what I can see out my window, full of wonderful beings and things, that I actually enjoyed it. Sure I was brought up short by the end, but I did enjoy the ride while it was going....