Author Topic: Incident  (Read 4340 times)

Simon Painter

• Peltast
on: May 17, 2007, 04:08:16 PM
Here's a writing topic I'd love to hear people's opinion on: incident.  I know a couple of published writers, and they've both said that they find incident the hardest part of a story to write.  By incident, I mean the things that actually happen in the story, the events that take place.

Is it universal to find this hard to come up with?  Or are there ways of dealing with it?

How do you turn an idea into a storyline?

Simon Painter
Shropshire, UK

"Save the Squonk!"

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 05:58:00 PM
Here's a writing topic I'd love to hear people's opinion on: incident.  I know a couple of published writers, and they've both said that they find incident the hardest part of a story to write.  By incident, I mean the things that actually happen in the story, the events that take place.

Is it universal to find this hard to come up with?  Or are there ways of dealing with it?

How do you turn an idea into a storyline?

Simon Painter
Shropshire, UK

My sticking point is usually segues -- I'm really bad at them, as my recent attempts on Podcrapular indicate.  (FYI, I'm Josh, NOT Andy.)

I don't think I have so much difficulty with coming up with incidents.  If anything, my biggest problem is not giving away the farm too soon.  I really love basically telling people what's going to happen -- not directly, but in such a way that when it does happen you can't miss it, or making it obvious up front that Character 1 is going to fight Character 2 at the end but making you want to know how the hell we get there.

I also dislike writing dialogue.  I think I plan it pretty well, but actually putting it on paper is a little difficult for me.

I'll have to get back to you on idea-to-storyline; I have a meeting to go to.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 06:11:35 PM

I have yet to find anything in writing that's universal.

Before I relate my own, probably largely inapplicable to anyone else, experience with this, I need a clarification.  How does incident differ from plot?

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 09:16:52 PM

words?

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery

Simon Painter

• Peltast
Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 09:20:35 PM
The way I understand it, the plot is a string of incidents that follow on logically.

"Save the Squonk!"

JaredAxelrod

• Palmer
  • 4-Color Hero
    • The Voice Of Free Planetx
Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 03:39:47 PM

I have yet to find anything in writing that's universal.

words?

Raymond Briggs begs to differ.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 03:47:10 PM by JaredAxelrod »