Author Topic: Help me out, which escape pod am I thinking of?  (Read 8623 times)

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
on: December 19, 2007, 04:37:23 PM
I woke up with a story fragment in my head that I know is from an Escape Pod episode (possibly a flash episode), but I'm not sure which one.

It's the one with the show and tell about the kid who brings his grandfather with the not moving tattoo and all the kids have tentacles and whatnot.  It was kind of mushy and sentimental, not usually my favorite thing though I think I didn't dislike it or anything.  Evidently something lodged, because I suddenly remember it and want to hear it again.

Which one is that?

Thanks.

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

Russell Nash

Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 04:47:10 PM
A quick scan of titles gives me EP044: Show and Tell By Greg van Eekhout.  The description doesn't mention the part you remembered, but it seems to fit.

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 04:59:34 PM
A quick scan of titles gives me EP044: Show and Tell By Greg van Eekhout.  The description doesn't mention the part you remembered, but it seems to fit.

Yes!  That's the one.  Apologies if my description was a bit spoilery but it was all I could remember.

Well of course it's an Eekhout story.  Duh.  His stuff always gets hooks in my brain. 

Thanks, Russell, I knew it was older, so I wouldn't have had to look at all 136 episodes, but the list of eps is getting long enough that searching is beginning to feel intimidating.  I figured asking was easier.  :)

When, oh, when can we get new Eekhout?

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

Russell Nash

Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 05:04:34 PM
Glad to help

eekhout

• Extern
Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 12:42:25 AM
Aw, thanks, Anarkey! (And thanks, too, to Russell for twigging to "Show and Tell".)

I'm not privy to Steve's production schedule, but I sold him a Christmas story, so I'm hoping there'll be a new van Eekhout story posted before Ho-ho-ho Day.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 01:30:49 AM
But...I thought Christmas stories didn't count!!!

I'm just kidding, of course.  wOO-hOO!!!  More Greg!!!

Russell Nash

Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 09:16:26 PM
Aw, thanks, Anarkey! (And thanks, too, to Russell for twigging to "Show and Tell".)

I'm not privy to Steve's production schedule, but I sold him a Christmas story, so I'm hoping there'll be a new van Eekhout story posted before Ho-ho-ho Day.

Can't say Ho Ho Ho anymore.  It's derogatory to women.  ;D 

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 11:51:13 AM

Fan of "Wait, Wait... Don't tell me"? :)

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Russell Nash

Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 02:47:44 PM

Fan of "Wait, Wait... Don't tell me"? :)

Damn straight, but I also heard it on the Bryant Park Project.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 06:35:39 PM
Checking it out now. Never heard of it, but it looks brilliant.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Russell Nash

Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 06:55:11 PM
Checking it out now. Never heard of it, but it looks brilliant.

On the whole it's just a quality show, but it has two cool parts.  The Ramble, which is all the news that's not worth a story, but it's worth an honorable mention.  And The Most, which is short synopsi of the most emailed or clicked on stories at a bunch of different news sites.

CammoBlammo

• Matross
Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 01:26:01 AM

Just for the record, this is quite incorrect. It's even in the article: the company responsible for the edict was merely suggesting ways in which Santa could be less scary to children, not telling them to stop calling women prostitutes. For the record, the only people in Australia who would call a prostitute a 'ho' would be upper middle class teenagers pretending they're black American badasses like Eminem.

I was interested to note that the article Russell linked to refers to an incident in Adelaide. Last time I heard it was in Sydney. There's a good sign this is an urban myth. The other (usually reliable) sign that it's an urban myth is that Snopes says it is: http://www.snopes.com/politics/christmas/hohoho.asp

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 11:53:32 PM

Just for the record, this is quite incorrect. It's even in the article: the company responsible for the edict was merely suggesting ways in which Santa could be less scary to children, not telling them to stop calling women prostitutes. For the record, the only people in Australia who would call a prostitute a 'ho' would be upper middle class teenagers pretending they're black American badasses like Eminem.

I was interested to note that the article Russell linked to refers to an incident in Adelaide. Last time I heard it was in Sydney. There's a good sign this is an urban myth. The other (usually reliable) sign that it's an urban myth is that Snopes says it is: http://www.snopes.com/politics/christmas/hohoho.asp

Interesting.  I fell for it also but should've know to check Snopes.  I have this nitwit who feels the need to forward me every freaking urban legend or twisted christian  viewpoint he comes across.  I sent him the snopes link back but it doesn't seem to slow his spread of disinformation.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

CammoBlammo

• Matross
Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 10:18:33 AM
I udnerstand the problem. The funny thing is that I've heard the story repeated many times here in .au, mainly amongst older, far more conservative types. When I've asked why Santa shouldn't be able to say 'ho ho ho' I've had quite a few blank stares. Why would I doubt the story? That's the way the world's going! (Immigants!  I knew it was them!  Even when it was the bears, I knew it
was them!)

One knowledgeable person told me that it's apparently derogatory to women, because it implies that women should be in the garden weeding.

Oh well.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 03:34:49 AM
....  I have this nitwit who feels the need to forward me every freaking urban legend or twisted christian  viewpoint he comes across.  I sent him the snopes link back but it doesn't seem to slow his spread of disinformation.

I have one of those... I call her "Mom".   :-\

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!