Author Topic: I'm Manning the Escape Pod  (Read 6584 times)

raygunray

• Peltast
  • Sundae, bloody Sundae
    • Diabetic In Candyland
on: May 09, 2007, 07:43:51 PM
Just discovered the Pod and I simply can't get enough.  There are a few authors out there I've been meaning to read (like Resnick) but there are only so many hours in the Terran day.  I'm much impressed by the production quality and the stories are top notch.  I've needed something like this for a long time, especially since you can't get decent books-on-tape or CD at the library anymore. 

Just one question, where are the other hundreds of podcasts archived?

Diabetic in Candyland -
Stories about Winning at Losing and Failing Successfully.

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 07:50:17 PM
Just discovered the Pod and I simply can't get enough.  There are a few authors out there I've been meaning to read (like Resnick) but there are only so many hours in the Terran day.  I'm much impressed by the production quality and the stories are top notch.  I've needed something like this for a long time, especially since you can't get decent books-on-tape or CD at the library anymore. 

Just one question, where are the other hundreds of podcasts archived?

7 threads down - :)

http://forum.escapeartists.info/index.php?topic=14.0

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 06:09:51 AM
... you can't get decent books-on-tape or CD at the library anymore. 
Don't know where you're living, but I have to disagree with this.  There's been a better-than-decent selection in the library systems I've been registered with lately (King and Snohomish/Island counties in Washington, and Multnomah and Clackamas counties in Oregon).

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 12:55:17 PM
Don't know where you're living, but I have to disagree with this.  There's been a better-than-decent selection in the library systems I've been registered with lately (King and Snohomish/Island counties in Washington, and Multnomah and Clackamas counties in Oregon).

Maryland libraries are really good, too; and I *think* there is a nation-wide interlibrary loan program... though I haven't really explored using it, yet.  Most public libraries have a website these days, so I would start there.

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Russell Nash

Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 01:23:08 PM

Maryland libraries are really good, too;

It really all depends on the state and local government.  Some see it as important as schools and others see it as unimportant as schools.  There is normally a corollary between the funding of the schools and the funding of the libraries.

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 01:54:39 PM
Yeah, lots of local variation on libraries.  I live in Georgia  :'(
Basicly, you get books by/about Newt Gingrich, Flannery O'Conner, Lewis Grizzard, and the Civil War. 
Oh, and biographies of proffesional wrestlers.  I'm not kidding.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 08:42:28 PM
Basicly, you get books by/about Newt Gingrich, Flannery O'Conner, Lewis Grizzard, and the Civil War. 

Sweet.  I heard that the biography of Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka was a real page turner. 

The library in our MN town is on a multi-county network so if they don't have what you are looking for you can make a request and chances are they can get it for you within a few days. 

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 04:36:34 AM

I got to go down to Augusta a while back to visit some friends stationed there, and we went to lunch at this pub on the river walk.  My friend stopped in the middle of a sentence, looked over my shoulder, and said, "Don't turn around too fast, but turn around."

I did, and was about three feet away from James Brown (and his lethal-looking bodyguard).  Good God, y'all!

Didn't check out the library, though.

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

KMITA

• Extern
Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 02:13:21 AM
I live in southern Mississippi, same problem here :(
When I asked where I could access the internet I was answered with "This is the county library not Best Buy!"

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 05:25:35 PM
Oh, I suppose it's not all a cultural wasteland.  I guess the whole "regional pride" thing wears thin after a while.  Too many people think the world ends at the Tennessee state line, and that nothing worthwile ever happened outside the confines of their blessed South.
Still, I do love the food.  It's not for nothing I've gained about 50 lbs since I moved here. ;D