Author Topic: Tolerant / Intolerant  (Read 75857 times)

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #50 on: May 14, 2007, 02:43:20 AM
If this were a pure democracy, those with unpopular opinions would be voted out and their immoral opinions would be suppressed.   Ironically, that would leave the majority with no one to argue with. :P

Not necessarily.  I would never vote to supress or censor any opinion, no matter how great my disagreement.  The majority could vote to allow the minority a voice, as they should.

However, I don't feel as if I have to "hallow" or give "reverence and respect" to your position.  I don't feel I have to "change [my] beliefs to match [yours]." or "alter my morality, my religious beliefs and my view of my own sexuality in subservience to [yours]."

Cool.  That matches strait up with what I think tollerance is.  No one is forced to alter their beliefs in subservience to anyone else's.  We disagree and ackwoledge that it; we don't pretend to agree or say the other guy has a good point if we don't honestly think he does.  But at the same time we understand that we don't have the right to compel another person to believe as we do.

Hear my very very short story on The Drabblecast!

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #51 on: May 14, 2007, 03:14:44 AM
If this were a pure democracy, those with unpopular opinions would be voted out and their immoral opinions would be suppressed.   Ironically, that would leave the majority with no one to argue with. :P

Not necessarily.  I would never vote to supress or censor any opinion, no matter how great my disagreement.  The majority could vote to allow the minority a voice, as they should.
There is no guarantee that others would vote that way.

However, I don't feel as if I have to "hallow" or give "reverence and respect" to your position.  I don't feel I have to "change [my] beliefs to match [yours]." or "alter my morality, my religious beliefs and my view of my own sexuality in subservience to [yours]."

Cool.  That matches strait up with what I think tollerance is.  No one is forced to alter their beliefs in subservience to anyone else's.  We disagree and ackwoledge that it; we don't pretend to agree or say the other guy has a good point if we don't honestly think he does.  But at the same time we understand that we don't have the right to compel another person to believe as we do.
[/quote]

So.... you're saying you are NOT tolerant of Gay Marriage?

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #52 on: May 14, 2007, 03:54:02 AM
No, that's not whay I was saying...  How did you pull that out of my statement?

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #53 on: May 14, 2007, 02:33:32 PM
No, that's not whay I was saying...  How did you pull that out of my statement?

Sorry - made too many leaps of logic for own good there.  I was incorrect in what I said and I apologize for that.

Let me elaborate.
In the other thread you wrote:
Homosexuals are already completely free to live their lifestyle and have access to the same legal rights as heterosexuals, including the oft-bemoaned inheritance and medical consent rights.  These arrangements can be made with a stop at any law office: A wedding is not required.
First off, as far as legal rights go, this is not true.  IIRC, a gay couple can't file their taxes as "married filing jointly,"  and can't collect on the other's social security benefits.  Secondly, why should a gay couple have to pay a lawyer to obtain rights that a hetero couple can get for next to nothing?  Also, thanks to the Defense of Marriage Act, a gay union in one state is not automatically recognized in another state.  I don't pretend to be an expert on this issue, but it's obvious to me that the two sides are not equal.
(As a side note, why does sex have to enter into this at all? Why can't one person simply designate another person as his/her significant partner and have the two of them obtain that legal status?)

The only reason for homosexuals to be able to marry is to give them saction, for society to formally state that their behavior is good, healthy, moral, etc, and furthmore to hallow it and give it reverence and respect.  This is a demand for far more than tolerance: It is a demand that each of us change our beliefs to match theirs.

Comparing this thread to gay marriage, each of us in this thread has the same "legal" standing with the same rights an advantages.  No one is being forced to modify their views or values in order to post (though lots of attempts of persuasion are going on. :P ).  Each is allowed to express themselves without risk of another poster restricting that right or ability.
With gay marriage, both sides do not have the same legal standing and one side does and is restricting the views and values of the other.

So, if his thread as an example of tolerance, then how we treat gay marriage is an example of intolerance.

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #54 on: May 14, 2007, 02:52:45 PM
"So, if his thread as an example of tolerance, then how we treat gay marriage is an example of intolerance."

Which is why I'm deeply suspicious of this conversation. These discussions of tolerance tend to leave power out of the equation, doing something like putting "I support legal opposition of gay marriage" and "I support gay marriage" on equal footing.

These are not equal statements.

If tolerance is the act of respecting others views, and not interfering with their ability to practice them, then the legalization of gay marriage is the tolerant view. It does not require heterosexuals to git it on with members of their own sex. It allows people who practice homosexuality, and who believe that homosexuality is not immoral, to marry and live their lives sans interference.

The position of opposition to gay marriage is, itself, inherently intolerant.

Stephen Colbert did a bit on this the other day -- the intolerant are the poor, long-suffering group that no one will tolerate. My "tolerance" ends when you're putting your legal fist in my face, or the face of those I love*.

--
*Which is also where abortion comes in, since making it illegal overrides women's bodily sovereignty in ways we'd never permit for men's bodily sovereignty to be overriden. No one is forced to donate a kidney to a dying child; even if fetii were people, they would be no more entitled to use a woman's body for survival than anyone else. However, it's impossible to prove that they are people without resorting to arguments of ensoulment, which are an attempt to legislate religion -- fundamentally intolerant of anyone who does not share those religious views.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 02:59:33 PM by palimpsest »

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #55 on: May 14, 2007, 03:33:28 PM
I had hoped to stear this discussion away from any specific moral issue, but since this specific topic (and my opinion of it) has been brought up:

I'll say again that gay marriage is not about tollerance.  You're talking apples and oranges.  There are thousands and millions of groups and practices that are not formally recognized by our government as being good or bad, legal or illegal, and homosexuals are one such group.  Homosexuality is currently tollerated: No one stops them from doing what they believe is right for them to do.  Recognizing marriage is a big step beyond mere tollerance: It is endorsement.  It is legal sanction.  It is a proclomation by the state saying "this is good" and "we support this."

Using the analogy of this forum: I am currently permitted to believe and express ideas that other people think are stupid and crazy.  I am tollerated.  I can say my bit and nobody sends me letter bombs for it.  But suppose there were some kind of rule going into this forum that stated that my opinion is as good as yours and that you must accept and embrace my viewpoint if you are going to post here.  Suppose Escape Artists formally endorsed my opinions.

Gay marriage is like that: It is a state proclomation of the moral rightness of homosexuality.  I am against the state making such a proclomation.  I am for tollerance, but I am not for endorsement.  If you think the state should endorse homosexuality, then make your case, but don't call it "tollerance," because it isn't.

More than that, even, is the fact that gay marriage changes the deffinition of extant marriages.  When I got married 4 years ago, I entered both a relationship and a legal contract with certain terms attached.  Gay marriage legislation changes the words on the contract that I already signed and agreed to.  My beliefs are not compatible with homosexual practice, and if the deffinition of "marriage" is altered to include homosexual practice, then the deffinition of "marriage" is no longer compatible with my beliefs.

We are not talking about simply giving homosexuals extra rights.  We are talking about throwing out the deffinition of marriage and writing a new one, and those of us who view our marriages with great sanctity suffer injury from this.

I frankly do not understand why this is a hard idea to grasp, but to try to make it more clear, I'll resort to one more analogy:

Let's posit some arbitrary group, say the ficticious Central Illinois Go Club.  To be a part of this club you have to live in central IL and play go every Wednesday night at the clubhouse.  We who are in the club have agreed to its rules and enjoy certain privledge and status because of our affiliation.  Good for us.

But then a group of chess players comes in and demands to be part of the go club.  We say "Sorry, but we play go here.  If you want to play chess next door, go ahead, and if you want to start your own club, we're fine with that."  But the chess players are not satisfied.  They say "No, we demand to be part of the go club."  We say, "Uh, sorry, but, you see, if we let you play chess in here, then it won't really be a go club anymore.  So, if you wouldn't mind, please go play your chess somewhere else.  I know of a vacant building on 4th street you could use for a clubhouse."  The chess players repond, "No!  We will be part of the go club, and, moreover, we are outraged at the intollerance you go players show for our game!  You're a lot chess-o-phobes."

The chess players then file a lawsuit to force the Go Club to allow chess at their meetings.

That's how I feel, and that's how I see it.  If gays want to be gay, fine.  If they want to live together in loving, manogamous relationships, good for them (and they can do it on my street too).  If laws are passed giving them all the legal privlidges of marriage, I can tollerate that.  But if they want to change the deffinition of my marriage to suit their beliefs, that's not fine.  Leave me alone, and thank you very much.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #56 on: May 14, 2007, 04:07:44 PM
Your marriage is in no way threatened, except insofar as you make your business to feel threatened. You are being intolerant of gay people. You are denying them rights that you possess.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #57 on: May 14, 2007, 04:23:26 PM
I had hoped to stear this discussion away from any specific moral issue, but since this specific topic (and my opinion of it) has been brought up:

I'll say again that gay marriage is not about tollerance.  You're talking apples and oranges.  There are thousands and millions of groups and practices that are not formally recognized by our government as being good or bad, legal or illegal, and homosexuals are one such group.  Homosexuality is currently tollerated: No one stops them from doing what they believe is right for them to do.  Recognizing marriage is a big step beyond mere tollerance: It is endorsement.  It is legal sanction.  It is a proclomation by the state saying "this is good" and "we support this."
Yes. Yes they do. They stop a loving couple of consenting adults from being married: Legally and Spiritually. This causes considerable conflict for gay Christian couples who are forced to live in sin.

Gay marriage is like that: It is a state proclomation of the moral rightness of homosexuality.  I am against the state making such a proclomation.  I am for tollerance, but I am not for endorsement.  If you think the state should endorse homosexuality, then make your case, but don't call it "tollerance," because it isn't.
No, the banning of gay marriage is the government stepping in to moral issues. Morality is best argued by the church and the parents. Laws that say who can and can't enter in to legal contract together is a terrible step away from freedom. You are welcome to argue that Adam and Steve shouldn't be married in the eyes of the Christian god, but that shouldn't make a bit of difference to the president or congress.
Before laws were passed that stated that marriage was between a man and a woman there weren't laws against homosexual marriage. The government had to actively BLOCK gay marriage. I'm not suggesting that state or federal governments should advocate gay marriage (or straight for that matter), just not block it.

We are not talking about simply giving homosexuals extra rights.  We are talking about throwing out the deffinition of marriage and writing a new one, and those of us who view our marriages with great sanctity suffer injury from this.
How, in any way, does the signing of a legal contract between two adults ruin the sanctity of marriage?

Let's posit some arbitrary group, say the ficticious Central Illinois Go Club.  To be a part of this club you have to live in central IL and play go every Wednesday night at the clubhouse.  We who are in the club have agreed to its rules and enjoy certain privledge and status because of our affiliation.  Good for us.

But then a group of chess players comes in and demands to be part of the go club.  We say "Sorry, but we play go here.  If you want to play chess next door, go ahead, and if you want to start your own club, we're fine with that."  But the chess players are not satisfied.  They say "No, we demand to be part of the go club."  We say, "Uh, sorry, but, you see, if we let you play chess in here, then it won't really be a go club anymore.  So, if you wouldn't mind, please go play your chess somewhere else.  I know of a vacant building on 4th street you could use for a clubhouse."  The chess players repond, "No!  We will be part of the go club, and, moreover, we are outraged at the intollerance you go players show for our game!  You're a lot chess-o-phobes."

The chess players then file a lawsuit to force the Go Club to allow chess at their meetings.

That's how I feel, and that's how I see it.  If gays want to be gay, fine.  If they want to live together in loving, manogamous relationships, good for them (and they can do it on my street too).  If laws are passed giving them all the legal privlidges of marriage, I can tollerate that.  But if they want to change the deffinition of my marriage to suit their beliefs, that's not fine.  Leave me alone, and thank you very much.
Lets turn this around:
Your parents play Go. Your brother plays Go. Your sister plays Go. Your uncles and cousins, and neighbors, and pen pals play go. The President plays Go all the time. Your favorite sports stars play Go. Everyone on TV plays Go. You play Chess.
You've played Go, and it's just not your thing. You like Chess, you've always liked chess and you will always like chess.
All the Go players are members of the Greater Universal Alliance of Go Players, and only Go players are allowed in there. As a member of GUAGP you get special privileges, just for playing Go. You don't have to be good at it, or play often, or you can play way too much and cheat at it, but as long as you play Go, you get the privileges. Those privileges you are entitled to are, say, $5000 a year, a new car, and a membership card that lets you use the hotel swimming pools anywhere in the world.
Everyone plays go, so everyone gets the $5000, and the car, and they all hang out at the pool. Big deal. Everyone does it. Some people don't even care that they get the benefits, they just love playing Go so much that they'd do it with out the perks. But, you know from your childhood that not everyone plays Go. Some weirdoes like to play other games. Some people who just aren't Ok.
You're one of those people.
You're an outcast because you don't like to play Go.
A few people tell you that playing chess is "wrong", but people look at you funny, and they don't like talking to you. Although there aren't any laws saying that playing chess is illegal, there are laws saying that not playing Go isn't ok.
So you don't get the $5000 everyone else gets. And you don't get the new car everyone else has. And you don't get to hang out at the hotel pools like everyone else. You’re told that that’s fair. Go players stand around and say "What's wrong? It’s still legal for you to play chess, isn’t it? You're still allowed to drive a car, aren't you? You can still have a job. You can swim in the ponds and public swimming pools, just not the hotel pools like
normal people do. So why are you upset?"
Is that fair?
Is that tolerant?

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #58 on: May 14, 2007, 04:26:35 PM
*SNIP*
More than that, even, is the fact that gay marriage changes the deffinition of extant marriages.  When I got married 4 years ago, I entered both a relationship and a legal contract with certain terms attached.  Gay marriage legislation changes the words on the contract that I already signed and agreed to.  My beliefs are not compatible with homosexual practice, and if the deffinition of "marriage" is altered to include homosexual practice, then the deffinition of "marriage" is no longer compatible with my beliefs.

I frankly do not understand why this is a hard idea to grasp, but to try to make it more clear, I'll resort to one more analogy:

I don't understand how the contract you signed when you were married is being changed.  Is the government sending out new marriage licenses to everyone who was previously married once gay marriages become legal? 

What are the personal effects this has on *your* marriage?

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #59 on: May 14, 2007, 05:19:20 PM

To me, this is the step in your logic that does not follow.
Legalizing gay marriage is not saying "this is good."  It is saying "this is allowed."  At most, it is saying "we sill stop anyone from stopping you from doing this."   Endorsing it, promoting it or encouraging it would require the gov't to give gay people an advantage over hetero people, like giving them an extra checkbox on their tax return.

Using the analogy of this forum: I am currently permitted to believe and express ideas that other people think are stupid and crazy.  I am tollerated.  I can say my bit and nobody sends me letter bombs for it.  But suppose there were some kind of rule going into this forum that stated that my opinion is as good as yours and that you must accept and embrace my viewpoint if you are going to post here.  Suppose Escape Artists formally endorsed my opinions.

Again, this relies on the previous point that I think does not follow.

More than that, even, is the fact that gay marriage changes the deffinition of extant marriages.  When I got married 4 years ago, I entered both a relationship and a legal contract with certain terms attached.  Gay marriage legislation changes the words on the contract that I already signed and agreed to.
how?

My beliefs are not compatible with homosexual practice, and if the deffinition of "marriage" is altered to include homosexual practice, then the deffinition of "marriage" is no longer compatible with my beliefs.

We are not talking about giving them extra rights at all - only giving them the rights that straight people already have.

I think your analogy is flawed.
A closer analogy would be if the long established go club, whose members were recognized as a special group which entitled to legal advantages, objected to the chess club forming so they could get the same advantages.

So is it the term "marriage" that you object to?  I understand that the term "marriage" has a religious overtone and I don't think that churches should be forced into marrying people against their will. I, for one, have no problem with someone coming up with a different term for a committed relationship between two people - regardless of their orientation - as long as both groups have the same legal rights.
Yes, I realize that this smacks of the "separate but equal" philosophy we used to deal with up until the 1960's, but I think it would be much harder (though not impossible) to segregate people based on sexual orientation - at least much harder than it was based on color.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #60 on: May 14, 2007, 05:59:01 PM
So is it the term "marriage" that you object to?  I understand that the term "marriage" has a religious overtone and I don't think that churches should be forced into marrying people against their will. I, for one, have no problem with someone coming up with a different term for a committed relationship between two people - regardless of their orientation - as long as both groups have the same legal rights.
Yes, I realize that this smacks of the "separate but equal" philosophy we used to deal with up until the 1960's, but I think it would be much harder (though not impossible) to segregate people based on sexual orientation - at least much harder than it was based on color.

There are plenty of people who aren't religious who are married.  The word marriage may have some religious overtones but no one bars people who aren't religious from getting married.  Why should people who are gay be treated any different?  And there are also people who are gay and are religious.  Some churches may choose not to marry them, but people who want to get married should be allowed to be married.

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #61 on: May 14, 2007, 06:48:02 PM
I don't think I can take everybody on once, logistically...

I will state, by way of defense, that my go club isn't trying to close down the chess club.  We just want to play go in peace.  There are people who want to abuse and oppress and even kill homosexuals: I'm not one of them.  Homosexuals have been my boss at work, been my fellow students in school, eaten dinner in my house; one even owes me money.  If, despite that, I still qualify as a homophobe, so be it.

------------

I guess I'll close with an example that, although it is not a logical argument, might help somebody understand how I view the issue.

First, think of how you, personally define yourself.  What group do you take pride in belonging to?  Your answer might be be "Christian" or "atheist" or "gay" or "feminist" or whatever, as long as it's important to you.  We'll call that group "Alpha."

Now think of something that morally offendes you, personally.  This could also be anything, so long as you believe it is wrong.  We'll call this thing "X".  Next imagine there is a group of people who not only do X but define themselves as "Xers," so that X is an indespensable part of their identity.

Once you've got set in your mind what Alpha and X are, imagine that the Xers are demanding that the deffinition of Alpha be changed to include them.  In law and in common usage, the deffinitions of Alpha and Xer are going to be merged so that every Xer will henceforth be considered a part of group Alpha and members of group Alpha will be considered to be Xers.

Would you object to this change?  Would objecting make you intollerant?

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #62 on: May 14, 2007, 06:51:10 PM
people who want to get married should be allowed to be married.

I'll pose this question to you, then (and to anyone else): Should there be any limitations on who is allowed to get married?

FNH

• Matross
  • F Napoleon H
    • Black Dog Of Doom
Reply #63 on: May 14, 2007, 07:16:22 PM
Yes. Yes they do. They stop a loving couple of consenting adults from being married: Legally and Spiritually. This causes considerable conflict for gay Christian couples who are forced to live in sin.

Your definition seems a little confused.  You cant have Gay Christian Couples.  Being actively Gay is a Sin according to Christian doctrine.  In exactly the same way, and I mean exactly, you cant have a Thieving Hetrosexual Couple.  Thieving is a sin.

Someone can be Gay and Christian provided they repent thier Sin and do not continue to be active Gay, in the same way a Thief can repent thier sin and do not continue to actively thieve.

If you continue to willingly knowingly Sin you have fallen away from Christianity. 

So they are not "forced to live in sin" but rather have chosen to.  If they are "married" they will still be in sin.

This post has been to clarify the "Sin thing".

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #64 on: May 14, 2007, 07:35:31 PM
What he said. :)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #65 on: May 14, 2007, 08:01:36 PM
Let's say for the purpose of arguement that homosexuality is a sin.  (I don't actually agree with this, but that's another story.)

I'm fat.  Gluttony is a sin -- it says that somewhere in the Bible.  I'm also a Christian.  Can I still be a Christian while I continue to stock up on lattes and chocolate chip muffins?  I've met quite a few Christians who are also fat who would not be happy if this was the view. 

Edit: I also want to point out there's a gay Christian church close to where we live. 

people who want to get married should be allowed to be married.

I'll pose this question to you, then (and to anyone else): Should there be any limitations on who is allowed to get married?

I don't know for sure where you're going with this, so I'll just say that I'm not sure how a gay couple being married effects anyone else's personal marriage.  I just don't see how anyone else's marriage effects my own marriage. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 08:50:19 PM by DKT »

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #66 on: May 14, 2007, 10:32:08 PM

No.

I actually find it somewhat repugnant that the government recognizes marriage at all.  All of the associated legal rights (property sharing, power of attorney, health benefits, etc.) could easily be handled by civil contracts; any people of legal age who want to enter into agreements in pairs or threesomes or moresomes should be able to negotiate whatever contract they want, or use a standard boilerplate if their arrangement is a common one.  This can be entirely separate from any religious or personal ceremony, or integrated into the ceremony if the parties choose.

The power of the government should not extend into dictating the nature and privileges of personal relationships.  There is no public good in that.  Personal relationships should be personal.  Yet that's exactly what marriage law is about.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #67 on: May 14, 2007, 10:34:27 PM
Your definition seems a little confused.  You cant have Gay Christian Couples.  Being actively Gay is a Sin according to Christian doctrine.  In exactly the same way, and I mean exactly, you cant have a Thieving Hetrosexual Couple.  Thieving is a sin.

It may have escaped your notice that different people have different views on their religion.

You are entirely welcome to share your views on your religion, but telling everybody else what their religion is is starting to edge close to the line.

BlairHippo

• Peltast
    • The Blair Hippo Project
Reply #68 on: May 14, 2007, 11:00:38 PM

Your definition seems a little confused.  You cant have Gay Christian Couples.  Being actively Gay is a Sin according to Christian doctrine.

I think claiming to speak for all of Christianity on this matter is more than a little disingenuous.  If you look across the broad range of beliefs encompassed by the word "Christianity," there are few areas where they're all in complete unambiguous agreement, and the alleged sinfulness of homosexuality is definitely not one of them.  There are plenty of devout Christians -- and even entire denominations -- who just plain don't buy it.

Now, if your interpretation of Christianity is such that it is utterly incompatible with homosexuality ... well, that's your interpretation, and you're welcome to it.  But let's be clear that we're talking about your interpretation and not Christianity as a whole.

In exactly the same way, and I mean exactly, you cant have a Thieving Hetrosexual Couple.  Thieving is a sin.

Uhm, say what?  This is such a strange statement I find myself wondering if it's a typo.  Do you mean you can't have a Thieving Christian Couple?  Because I'm quite certain sexual identity and propensity for theft are two entirely different things.  If you want a good example of theivin' heterosexuals, I refer you to "The Riches" on FX.  :)

Someone can be Gay and Christian provided they repent thier Sin and do not continue to be active Gay, in the same way a Thief can repent thier sin and do not continue to actively thieve.

If you continue to willingly knowingly Sin you have fallen away from Christianity. 

I'd very much like to hear your response to DKT's counter-example.  Is it possible to be a Fat Christian?

What sins are so dreadful that the willful commission of them shall cause you to fall from His grace forever even if you've accepted Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior?  Which ones are minor enough that He is willing to let them slide?  And how do you tell the difference?

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #69 on: May 15, 2007, 01:08:58 AM

Are you saying God does takebacks? "Oh yeah, puny human, I know you gave your heart to Jesus and all, but then you went and sinned again so go be burned with the chaff."

Or does God still take you in but you're not allowed to call yourself Christian anymore?

I'm gathering you're doctrinally not down with the grace thing?  Maybe Catholics don't buy into sola fide?  And huh, possibly not Orthodox Christians, either.  Luther introduced it, so makes sense not everyone buys in, but it's dogma for all Protestant sects, afaik.

I'll admit that I think the labels "sinner" and "Christian" pretty much go hand in hand, and find it boggling that anyone thinks they are mutually exclusive.  Seems heretical, in fact, though that's a gut reaction I can't support with evidence.

You can be a sinner and not be a Christian, I guess (though what use you'd have for the doctrine of sin if you weren't Christian escapes me), but I don't think there's a single Christian who has somehow escaped being a sinner as well.  So even if you DO think being gay is a sin, still not seeing how that disqualifies one from being Christian.  Or married.

Man, I'm boggled.

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #70 on: May 15, 2007, 03:25:23 AM

...Okay.  You know what?  People giving FNH a hard time on his religion is also getting way too close to the line.

I feel I've gotten too tied up in this conversation myself to moderate it objectively, so I'm not going to start pulling anyone's posts out.  Michael, you were the sole voice of reason a little while ago.  Please take the Thwacking Stick.

If things continue to move toward insult, Michael or one of the other uninvolved moderators will delete posts, lock the thread, whatever, as they see fit.  I trust them to be balanced.  Even better would be if we were all to chill out just a little.  Yes, I include myself in this.

Tolerance does have to have rules in order to make it work.  Around here the rule is "Don't get personal."  I think we would all do well to realize that we've been muddling around in a lot of linked subjects where A.) things can escalate into _ad hominem_ very quickly; and B.) these arguments never really end.

For my part in contributing to the muddle, my apologies.  I must have been having a flashback to Usenet in college.

Michael

• Peltast
Reply #71 on: May 15, 2007, 03:51:51 AM
After that talking to, I don't think a thwacking stick will be needed.   ;)

I was all happy people dropped the abortion thing... But then everyone switched to gay marriage, which is #2 on the hit parade.   :o 

So, Ix nay on these exemplars, please.

We could continue with Objective vs. Subjective Morality  (To save time, please, without going to hit parade topic #3 the harvesting of human clones for their organs!  ;)  )

Please feel free to start a new thread on any of those topics--it just isn't polite to hijack this thread's topic.  Which was tolerance evolving to a discussion of morality as objective mathematical science. 

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #72 on: May 15, 2007, 11:33:57 AM
You know, I had a post all lined up to let FHN and Mr. Tweedy have it with both barrels.
I had web sites, bible passages, personal experiences, and cited references all lined up.
I would have liked to think I would be holding the moral high ground and defending my beliefs, and changing people’s opinions to make the world a better place.
In reality, I suspect it would have been the next step of escalation towards another pointless internet flame war.
I think everyone here has voiced their opinions well, but I don't feel we're making progress so much as we're avalanching. I appreciate that others here have their own views on some topics, and that they are not unique in their views. It is no more my place to say that my views are better than theirs than it is their place to do the same to me. There are other, more effective, less offensive, ways to change hearts and minds. So I think I'm going to take this opportunity to express a bit of tolerance and just bow out of this thread all together while we're all still friends.
Thanks everyone.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #73 on: May 15, 2007, 11:41:10 AM

Your definition seems a little confused.  You cant have Gay Christian Couples.  Being actively Gay is a Sin according to Christian doctrine.

Where exactly is this established?  I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything.  I honestly don't know.  I was brought up Catholic and I don't remember any homily or reading that said anything like "and Jesus said take only a spouse of the opposite gender..."
But I've heard so many Christians make that claim that I figure it has to come from somewhere and I'd really like to know where that is.
(...and to answer the obvious question: "No. I don't read the Bible")

FNH

• Matross
  • F Napoleon H
    • Black Dog Of Doom
Reply #74 on: May 15, 2007, 11:54:59 AM
...Okay.  You know what?  People giving FNH a hard time on his religion is also getting way too close to the line.

Mr Eley, you are a Gentleman of quality!