Author Topic: Poe Kickstarter  (Read 3931 times)

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
on: October 08, 2014, 08:30:22 AM
Heya. Do you know about the Journey Into... podcast? It was started by a former forum luminary, Swamp. (AKA Marshal Latham)

He's raising cash to pay author Ken W Scholes to write a completely new story for his annual Edgar Allen Poe month.

Like Poe? Like Latham? Like Scholes? Need more info? Go here.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 10:29:59 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty excited for this! Hope it gets funded ASAP - I think it's pretty cool Marshal and Ken are doing it :)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 04:21:51 PM
Thanks for the post, Kibitzer.  I was hesitant to post about it on the forums because I have been so infrequent to commenting here in the last year or so.  I didn't want to be the guy that only shows up when I'm selling something.

I am very excited about this "Edgar Allan Poe meets Ken Scholes" Kickstarter.  It is also a very stressful thing to do.  I am all at once blown away by the amazing generosity of others and crazy anxious that I will not reach my goal.  I try to be nonchalant about it, but I have to check the status every hour (at least).

But I have loved Ken Scholes every since I first heard "Edward Bear and the Very Long Walk" on Escape Pod several years ago.  I have been a fan of Poe for longer than that.  Putting those two together will be so amazingly cool!  I hope it happens.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 08:17:15 PM
Hey, Swamp: can you define explicit, exactly?

Maybe I'll start a pool ;)

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 09:01:26 PM
Hey, Swamp: can you define explicit, exactly?

Maybe I'll start a pool ;)

heh.  I assume you are referring to the reward for the $100 pledge, which says, "As above, plus Marshal will write a 3000 word or less story based upon any premise you choose, barring explicit content."

Basically, I wanted to prevent someone from asking me to write erotica.

Coming up with the rewards was fun, but I had to come up with things that people might actually want, and that I was capable of providing.  I knew the story was something that I could provide, if I gave myself extra time, but I didn't know if the story was something people would actually want.  I figured letting the donor chose the premise, and maybe personalize it a bit, it would be more attractive.  I threw in the "barring explicit content" proviso in there at the last minute to avoid any uncomfortable discussions about content when somebody had shelled out $100 for a story.

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 05:27:16 PM
This will be my last mention of this here in the forums:

With 5 days left in this Edgar Allan Poe / Ken Scholes Kickstarter for the Journey Into... podcast, I added some new rewards:

Homemade Beef Jerky at the $50 and $105 level, and

for a $75 pledge, I am offering a hardback copy of Ken Scholes' book LAMENTATION (the 1st of the Psalms of Isaak series), signed by the author. I only have one copy to offer.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 05:42:58 PM
Good luck, man. There's a promo coming in this week's PC, which should go live tomorrow :)