Author Topic: Twisted endings  (Read 15759 times)

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
on: May 10, 2007, 03:16:59 PM
I am looking for a good book or movie with a twisted ending IE Fight Club, High Tension, Twisted

Any Suggestions?

Fight Club has to be one of my all time favorite books and movies.  I really liked the twist to the ending, and did not see it coming until it got there. 

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 03:23:19 PM
I am looking for a good book or movie with a twisted ending IE Fight Club, High Tension, Twisted

Any Suggestions?

Fight Club has to be one of my all time favorite books and movies.  I really liked the twist to the ending, and did not see it coming until it got there. 

Well, there's always Sixth Sense and Unbreakable.

In terms of books, Passage by Connie Willis has one of the best twists I have ever read, and it's not even at the ending, it's about 2/3 through.  If you like Star Trek, read Serpents Among the Ruins, the Captain Harriman novel.

My wife really likes the movie Dead Again with Kenneth Brannagh (sp?) and Emma Thompson.  That one had a decent twist, but the rest of the film is good enough that even if it's not a big enough twist for you, it's still an enjoyable film.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 03:44:12 PM
Deathtrap - Micheal Caine, Christoper Reeve, Dyan Cannon and lots and lots and lots of plot twists.

Momento - almost every scene is a plot twist because of the nature of the movie. It takes place in reverse order. Every scene is what takes place before the scene you just saw.  Instead of "where are we going?" it's "how did we get here?".  The biggest twist is in the final scene (which is the beginning of the story). 

The Usual Suspects

Lots of things by Alfred Hitchcock - North by Northwest, Psycho, Spellbound, Suspicion

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

Holden

• Peltast
  • EXTERMINATE!
Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 07:05:13 PM
Fight Club is great, both book and movie, though I do feel the movie botched on the ending.

For great twist endings I recommend the classic Twilight Zone episodes.

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 07:32:06 PM

Any Suggestions?

I thought "The Machinist" was a fairly good twist ending movie, though I wanted to scrub my eyes after I'd seen it.  Which, you know, might be a plus in your book.

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 07:37:20 PM

The Usual Suspects

That one was ruined for me because a woman I used to work with started talking about it without realizing I hadn't seen it.  So when the twist/reveal happened at the end, I was like... feh...

I call my boss Keyser Soze because he'll be in his office, then I'll turn around and just like that, he was gone.

twitcat

• Extern
Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 03:20:49 PM
A Tale of Two Sisters. Not only does it have a twist ending, it has a huge twist half way through.

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 01:25:20 AM

The Usual Suspects

That one was ruined for me because a woman I used to work with started talking about it without realizing I hadn't seen it.  So when the twist/reveal happened at the end, I was like... feh...

I call my boss Keyser Soze because he'll be in his office, then I'll turn around and just like that, he was gone.

I'm so glad you said that because it brought back a memory about my late father that I hadn't thought of in years.  A bunch of us were watching "An officer and a Gentlemen" on cable many years ago, but I was the only one who hadn't seen it before.  Very close to the end of the movie, many members of the cast were walking up to a house, looking for their friend. My dad walked in and asked:
"What are you watching?"
"An Officer and a gentlemen?"
"Really?  Has that guy hung himself yet?"

I laughed out loud men I remembered that just now.  :D

and speaking of a spoiler alert....
http://xkcd.com/c109.html

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 11:04:58 AM
defiantly see memento if you haven't allready

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery

Simon Painter

• Peltast
Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 02:46:18 PM
Something that's worth tracking down that no only has a twisted ending, but is generally a pretty damned weird film is Zardoz, a 1970s John Boorman film starring Sean Connery.

Though you do have to be strong enough to be able to bear the sight of Sean Connery in a wedding dress!

Simon Painter
Shropshire, UK

"Save the Squonk!"

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 03:24:25 PM
is that the one whith the big stone head?

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery

Simon Painter

• Peltast
Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 03:52:48 PM
yes, that's the one.  "Zarodz speaks to you, his chosen ones!" and so on.

"Save the Squonk!"

Russell Nash

Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 10:37:51 AM
The Usual Suspects and Momento are great even on the third and fourth time.

Donnie Darko is a strange paranormal film.  Three times through is mandatory just to understand it.

Go! and 11:14 are pretty cool. Each shows the time line leading up to an event from four or five different charactor perpectives.

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 06:55:28 AM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned "Jacob's Ladder", about a Viet Nam vet suffering from hallucinations (apparently) of demons and general wierdness. Stars Tim Robbins, Elizabeth Peña, and Danny Aiello.
See http://imdb.com/title/tt0099871/ - don't read the "memorable quotes" for it, they're a bit of a spoiler.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #14 on: September 22, 2007, 06:29:04 AM

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

DDog

• Matross
    • Twitter
Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 09:52:02 PM
A Beautiful Mind. Not really a twist for anyone who knows John Nash, but I didn't when my mother ruined the surprise for me. (EDIT to clarify: Still enjoyed movie, just the surprise factor was not there.)

I'm not in love with Nathaniel Hawthorne but he does love his twist endings.

Although I have to say, isn't requesting twist endings poisoning you for them?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 10:31:09 PM by DDog »

Ask a Tranny Podcast
"Watching someone bootstrap themselves into sentience is the most science fiction thing you can do." -wintermute

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #16 on: September 25, 2007, 10:20:32 PM
I don't think it would poison it, because you still don't know what the twist is.  And I still enjoy The Usual Suspects, I watch it probably on average 2.5 times a year, probably somewhere between every 4 months and every 6 months

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #17 on: September 25, 2007, 10:59:37 PM
Star Trek: The Motion Picture had a Zardozy ending
Psycho has to be the king of twisted endings, though it's so famous we all probably new the ending before seeing it.  I had the great fortune of taking my wife who is Japanese and never heard of Psycho to see it in a theater (the original, no less).   She did not see it coming.

Anyone see The Conversation with Gene Hackman?  Great twisted ending.

The Crying Game, though not at the end.

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #18 on: September 27, 2007, 04:23:00 PM
I haven't finished watching Mr. Brooks yet, but my boss has, and he says he would call it a "twist ending".  So far it's pretty good (I'm about 40% done).

Book-wise, if you like Star Trek, "Serpents Among The Ruins" has a great twist ending.

DDog

• Matross
    • Twitter
Reply #19 on: September 28, 2007, 06:13:15 PM
They're "young adult" books, but "The Deptford Mice" (The Dark Portal, The Crystal Cave, The Final Reckoning) and "The Deptford Histories" (The Alchemist's Cat, The Oaken Throne, Thomas) by Robin Jarvis are rather brilliant, with great twists. I recommend reading the Deptford Mice books first and then the Deptford Histories, as the Deptford Histories are basically the "twist beginnings" to the Deptford Mice books. The story is more straightforward if you read the Histories first; or you could do Mice, Histories, Mice again when you understand all the sinister forestory.

I read them in middle school and loved them, but I haven't been able to track them down as an adult to reread them. More the fantasy side of horror as they are talking animals, but it's definitely horror and I think would still appeal to certain kinds of adults.

Ask a Tranny Podcast
"Watching someone bootstrap themselves into sentience is the most science fiction thing you can do." -wintermute

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #20 on: September 28, 2007, 09:30:18 PM
is that the one whith the big stone head?

Not only that but it's also one of the films Max and Paddy use in Phoenix Knights to prove that if Connery's wearing a wig, it's a good movie and if he isn't it isn't:

'Highlander.'
'Wig.'
'Highlander II:The Quickening.'
'Wig.'
'That weird one where he gets his c--k out'
'Wig.'

I love Phoenix Nights:)