Author Topic: Pseudopod 413: Variations Of Figures Upon The Wall  (Read 4240 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: November 24, 2014, 03:28:03 AM
Pseudopod 413: Variations Of Figures Upon The Wall

by Silvia Moreno Garcia

“Variations Of Figures Upon The Wall” was published in Where Thy Dark Eye Glances: Queering Edgar Allan Poe, edited by Steve Berman.

SILVIA MORENO-GARCIA is a Mexican writer now living in Canada. Her first collection, This Strange Way of Dying was released last year. Her debut novel, set in 1980s Mexico City, is called Signal to Noise and will be published next year by Solaris. Silvia is also an editor. She has recently edited Fractured: Tales of the Canadian Post-Apocalypse and Sword and Mythos, an anthology of heroic fantasy and Lovecraftian horror. She blogs at Silvia Moreno Garcia.com .

Your reader is Claudia Smith, a video game translator who reads (and narrates) for fun. She was introduced to Pseudopod by her old university friend, Helen Keeble, and highly recommends reading her two books, Fang Girl and No Angel – especially if, as well as being a fan of the horror genre, you also enjoy a bit of light-hearted teen vampire romance parody.

“The maid slowly buttoned the dress, her hands inching along Rowena’s back. Rowena looked out the sole window in the room – a great sheet of unbroken, tinted Venetian glass – and across the desolate, green fields.

‘What was the Lady Ligeia like?’ Rowena asked.

The maid’s fingers stilled against Rowena’s back.’

‘She was a harsh mistress,’ the girl said.

‘How so?’

But the girl did not reply.”

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 03:23:24 PM
Hm....  I'll be interested to see what other people say about the story.  I had trouble focusing on it for some reason.

albionmoonlight

• Matross
Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 02:46:41 PM
Hm....  I'll be interested to see what other people say about the story.  I had trouble focusing on it for some reason.

It had trouble grabbing me as well.  Not sure why some stories reach out and grab you and others don't.  But this was one that I had to spend more energy focusing on than some others.

I will say that it made me think a lot of what it means to have ghosts in our living places.  When I think of my house now, it is chock full of lights and sounds and screens and distractions and various shiny objects fighting for my attention and/or trying to give me ADD.

Even if we had a ghost or a specter or a spirit or just a looming sense of ennui lurking in our house, I am pretty sure that I could go my whole life there and not notice.  Affordable Netflix and new Angry Birds levels have probably done more to eliminate Gothic Ghosts from our lives than anything else :-)

The Far Stairs

• Peltast
    • A Thousand Lifetimes in an Hour
Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 07:32:23 AM
I didn't get into this one either. I couldn't focus on it. I was bummed because I really love this author. Her story "Flash Frame" is one of my favorites:

http://talestoterrify.com/tales-to-terrify-no-9-david-thomas-lord/

Jesse Livingston
Head of Historical Archives
The Far Stairs
www.athousandlifetimes.com

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 06:48:42 PM
I didn't get into this one either. I couldn't focus on it. I was bummed because I really love this author. Her story "Flash Frame" is one of my favorites:

http://talestoterrify.com/tales-to-terrify-no-9-david-thomas-lord/

Don't forget this one: http://pseudopod.org/2010/05/07/pseudopod-193-bed-of-scorpions/

I'm looking forward to reading the collection she's working on right now: She Walks in Shadows.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 05:15:00 PM

Same. :(

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.