Author Topic: Sports in Fantasy  (Read 4791 times)

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
on: December 08, 2014, 01:42:15 PM
Based off of DKT's comments at the head of the latest PodCastle, I was thinking about fantasy novels / movies / etc that feature sports.

Obviously there's quiddich, and I remember a scene in Raymone E. Feist's Riftwar saga (possibly within the Empire trilogy - it's been a while) with people playing something similar to football (soccer) using barrels as goals. Other than that, though, I can only come up with examples of hunting and knightly tournaments (jousting, swordplay) which are too common to be wirth noting.

Can anyone else come up with any more examples?

Science means that not all dreams can come true

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 01:44:00 PM
Searching on the Googles for "fantasy sports" does not help, by the way. That leads to a whole other thing.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 03:15:07 PM
Scott Sigler has a series based on a violent sporting league. It's on my to-listen stack, but...

One of Robert Aspirin's early Myth books involved a vaguely football-shaped sporting event. The gang gets involved in a vaguely worded bet or contract and have to field a team. Hijinks ensue.

The RPG Shadowrun did a good job of incorporating sports into the world. It also explored the impacts on the games from cybernetic and biotechnological modification. The new one for that world, Urban Brawl, involved explosives with the field being a few blocks of urban wreckage slated to be demolished. Damage done to the environment during the game was all part of the urban renewal process.

There's also Games Workshop's Blood Bowl. That probably counts.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 04:46:44 PM
The Sigler one I'm familiar with is The Rookie: SF Extreme Football with aliens (funded by the mob). It was pretty entertaining.

Matt Wallace has Slingers (which is a death sport played between fierce competitors, and staged around a black hole).

There's a game in the Magicians called Welters that was pretty cool.

But yeah, I think there's a dearth of sports in Fantasy fiction that isn't dueling, jousting, pie eating, etc.

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 05:36:58 PM
The Game in Piers Anthony's Apprentice Adept series. The Game is some seriously great stuff, and the best reason to read the series.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Varda

• Rebound
  • Hipparch
  • Definitely not an android.
Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 06:06:21 PM
Running as a sport (and footraces of all distances) are VERY well represented in fantasy fiction, going all the way back to Greek mythology. :) Think the myth of Atalanta, Phedippides running to Marathon, and really any reference ever to the original Olympic games.

Medical Microfiction: Stories About Science
http://rckjones.wordpress.com

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 06:35:21 PM
Scott Sigler and Matt Wallace are Sci Fi rather than fantasy, which I wasn't really thinking about. I think sports are probably more common in SF (Pyramid in BSG also comes to mind, and the Honor Harrington series and DS9 both featured baseball and martial arts) than in fantasy, but still under-represented. And if we're looking at ShadowRun and Blood Bowl, I'd also mention the Extreme Wrestling Federation in Aberrant (a superhero RPG).

SpareInch

• Hipparch
  • Will there be sugar after the rebellion?
Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 02:23:33 PM
Terry Pratchett's Disscworld has Soccer, proto-soccer, and that game where The Wizards ride piggy back on the UU Porters in pursuit of a man dressed as a giant chicken, in Unseen Academicals, The Witch Trials, and mention of Sheep Dog Trials in A Hat Full Of Sky, Sprinting in anything with Rincewind in it, Cricket in the one with the enslaved goblins, the name of which slips my mind for the moment, and if your definition of sports will stretch that far, Ballroom Dancing in Reaper Man.

Running as a sport (and footraces of all distances) are VERY well represented in fantasy fiction, going all the way back to Greek mythology. :) Think the myth of Atalanta, Phedippides running to Marathon,

I'm no classicist, but didn't he run FROM Marathon? Also, I'm fairly sure it really did happen, so it aint fantasy. You could have The Hare And The Tortoise though. :)

Fresh slush - Shot this morning in the Vale of COW

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 03:52:52 PM

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 06:26:19 PM
Final Fantasy X has a sport called Blitzball that is played entirely in a water-filled sphere suspended in midair. I guess the players can hold their breath for periods that would make a US Navy SEAL shake his head in disbelief.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Blitzball_%28Minigame%29

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 04:14:51 PM
Now that I've listened to the endcap, I can speak directly to some of those points.

Dave, it's not surprising that the reference to golf pulls you out of the story. As you probably know, all the first drafts of the story were oral to entertain his children. He only set paper to pen once Christopher started correcting his details regarding cloak and tassel colors between tellings. Stuff in the beginning of the book starts much more light and juvenile before getting much more mature and serious by the end. The golf bit in the first chapter was just Tolkien wanting to make a pun on the name Fingolfin to amuse his children. I don't remember whether Fingolfin was plucked from Tolkien's stable of names to be an early version of Gandalf's or Thorin's name. By publication, Fingolfin was returned to the Silmarillion, Thorin and Gandalf received their much better final names, but the golf pun remained.

That said, I can totally see hobbits playing golf. It's a great structured way to take a walk with good company. I just expect there would be some sort of meal break every three holes or so.