Author Topic: EP079: Mountain, Man  (Read 3595 times)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
on: October 17, 2009, 10:07:59 PM
EP079: Mountain, Man

By Heather Shaw.
Read by Stephen Eley.

“Look, miss, I’m going to have to cut your hair to do this. Is that all right?”

She smiled at him from her upside-down, bent-over position, so he took that as a yes. He found an old pair of garden shears and took a hunk of her hair, gathered it into a rough ponytail, and hacked it off.

A pair of mountain bluebirds flew out from where the nest of hair had been.

Rated PG. Contains non-explicit sex, accidental assault, and geological scatology.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 05:38:27 PM
This one was good, mostly for it's bizarre and vivid imagery.  I'm a little surprised the protagonist didn't figure out she was magical earlier--I'd be suspicious at the birds and certain at the marmoset.  I wasn't a huge fan of the end--I understand that he was trying to bury her to keep more disasters from happening, but I'm surprised he didn't try to find some solution that didn't apparently kill her.  Then again, maybe it didn't kill her, but the tone seemed to imply he thought of it as murder.

Supernova

• Palmer
Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 07:58:11 PM
I really liked this story but was also a little disappointed at the end, it would be nice for stories like these to have a happy ending every once in a while. I assumed it was supposed to be 'mother nature' herself that he had accidentally shot. It was odd how he seemed to dismiss the bizareness of what was happening however I felt that fit the style of the story overall.