Author Topic: EP485: Supply Limited, Act Now  (Read 13645 times)

Art Contrary

Reply #25 on: March 28, 2015, 08:13:45 PM
I have mixed feelings about this one. It was a lovely idea for a story, it's undoubtedly well written and at the beginning it was hitting all the right nostalgic notes...but then the shrinking rampage started and all I could think about was the kids where I live, who basically destroy everything in sight. Maybe I'm just getting to that "get off my lawn!" age, but I lost all sympathy for the characters at that point.

Chairman Goodchild

• Peltast
Reply #26 on: April 05, 2015, 02:19:54 PM
I have mixed feelings about this one. It was a lovely idea for a story, it's undoubtedly well written and at the beginning it was hitting all the right nostalgic notes...but then the shrinking rampage started and all I could think about was the kids where I live, who basically destroy everything in sight. Maybe I'm just getting to that "get off my lawn!" age, but I lost all sympathy for the characters at that point.

It's a story about adolescence, testing boundaries and going too far.  Surely you must remember being the kid on the lawn and not the adult yelling to get off it.  God knows I do.  And the story didn't give the kids any easy outs or any excuses for their behavior when they went too far, I thought. 

Art Contrary

Reply #27 on: April 09, 2015, 07:33:00 PM
It's a story about adolescence, testing boundaries and going too far.  Surely you must remember being the kid on the lawn and not the adult yelling to get off it.  God knows I do.  And the story didn't give the kids any easy outs or any excuses for their behavior when they went too far, I thought.

It isn't that I didn't understand what the story was about or that I've forgotten being a kid. I really struggle to sympathise with children (or adults) who destroy everything for no good reason. I just kept thinking about the poor folk who'd been victims of the shrinking rampage.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #28 on: February 25, 2016, 05:54:50 AM
This one didn't work for me either. Between the ambiguous ending and the kids not paying attention to the consequences of their actions, it rubbed me a very wrong way. I remember very clearly being 12. We had responsibilities, so we knew how not to be complete stupid ass-hats. And that is not a generational thing, either. I know lots of kids today who also have responsibilities and wouldn't go around destroying stuff for kicks and then go ..ooops. So, sorry, this just didn't work for me.