Author Topic: The Ultimate Doctor Who fanfic  (Read 6657 times)

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
on: May 24, 2008, 11:10:57 PM
The Ten Doctors at Rich's Comix Blog.  He's near 100 installments (pages) so far and I think it's utterly brilliant.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

williamjamesw

• Palmer
Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 01:22:32 AM
I heard about it a couple weeks ago.  So far, I'm up to #64; and liking it quite a bit, it seems to fit into canon well and nobody seems out of character.  I hope the creator doesn't loose interest.  (I want to know how it ends.)

I'll just go back to being silent again now.

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 04:13:50 AM
Oh wow! Thanks for posting this! I wished I knew the Dr. Who series better than I do. I remember watching 4 and 5 as a kid, but didn't see any more of them until 9 came on SciFi.

So, did the Doctor really keep the Daleks from from becoming extinct?

JoeFitz

• Matross
Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 01:56:41 AM
Wow! Thank you for linking to this.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 10:38:54 PM
Oh wow! Thanks for posting this! I wished I knew the Dr. Who series better than I do. I remember watching 4 and 5 as a kid, but didn't see any more of them until 9 came on SciFi.

In the Fourth Doctor (Tom Baker) serial "Genesis of the Daleks", the Time Lords send him (along with Harry Sullivan and Sarah Jane Smith) to Skaro during the Thal/Kaled war with the intention of having him prevent the rise of the Daleks.  There's a point at which he's holding the two ends of wire that will close the circuit on a bomb trigger and wipe out the embryonic Daleks, and after much waffling and hand-wringing, he ultimately fails to touch the two wires together.  Interpret that as you will.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 01:09:27 AM

In the Fourth Doctor (Tom Baker) serial "Genesis of the Daleks", the Time Lords send him (along with Harry Sullivan and Sarah Jane Smith) to Skaro during the Thal/Kaled war with the intention of having him prevent the rise of the Daleks.  There's a point at which he's holding the two ends of wire that will close the circuit on a bomb trigger and wipe out the embryonic Daleks, and after much waffling and hand-wringing, he ultimately fails to touch the two wires together.  Interpret that as you will.

It would be interesting to see what the Doctor would do post-time war.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 03:36:07 AM

Cool. Thanks, StePH. I think i actually found the very instance you mentioned:

I need to find all those old ones on DVD and rewatch (at least, as many as exist). I understand that the oldest ones were lost, but I also seem to remember reading that someone had begun a project to animate all those old ones using the same scripts, etc. Anyone know anything about that? A very brief search didn't net me any worthy findings.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 04:51:38 AM
I need to find all those old ones on DVD and rewatch (at least, as many as exist). I understand that the oldest ones were lost, but I also seem to remember reading that someone had begun a project to animate all those old ones using the same scripts, etc. Anyone know anything about that? A very brief search didn't net me any worthy findings.

Not all of the oldest ones were lost.  It was kind of random which tapes got erased and which ones survived.  The first three William Hartnell serials are completely intact, and available on DVD.   Plus, there is at least audio still available of the entire series, if not video.

If you're not averse to a little bittorrenting, you can download every episode ever made -- the "lost" episodes are reconstructed using the audio track plus still pictures.  And on at least one of the official, legal DVD releases, a Patrick Troughton serial is done with animation plus the audio track.  I don't know how much effort is being put into doing more like that.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 04:53:58 AM by stePH »

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 12:57:27 PM
This being the internet, a thousand plus words on the missing episodes of Doctor Who.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 03:11:42 PM

Not all of the oldest ones were lost.  It was kind of random which tapes got erased and which ones survived.  The first three William Hartnell serials are completely intact, and available on DVD.   Plus, there is at least audio still available of the entire series, if not video.

If you're not averse to a little bittorrenting, you can download every episode ever made -- the "lost" episodes are reconstructed using the audio track plus still pictures.  And on at least one of the official, legal DVD releases, a Patrick Troughton serial is done with animation plus the audio track.  I don't know how much effort is being put into doing more like that.
Ah, thanks! That was what I was thinking of. I thought I had remember the animated version using the original audio track, but I was too unsure to mention it. I wished they'd restore all of the lost ones that way, personally.

Troo

• Palmer
    • Hello Spacegirl
Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 04:15:59 PM
Easiest way to keep tabs on who's doing what is over at the Restoration Team's website: http://www.restoration-team.co.uk/

Trudi Topham,
Editor, Pantechnicon.
Editor, Hub.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 04:42:17 AM
As for the comic, seems Rich has been putting up his ancient Rome strip lately, but apparently the next page of "The Ten Doctors" is in the works and should be posted soon.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 01:38:04 PM
Woohoo!  It's been resumed!  Three pages over the past three days!

ChiliFan

• Palmer
Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 12:29:56 AM
As for the missing episodes, here's summary of what has happened, which is available in longer versions elsewhere.

BBC TV series from the 1960's were usually made with the actors' contracts saying that the BBC had the right to show them once as scheduled, then one repeat later on. After that, the BBC weren't allowed to show them again unless they paid the actors for the right to do this, so everything was due to be destroyed eventually. The exception to this was overseas sales. Foreign TV companies often bought the rights to show and repeat BBC series such as Doctor Who as many times as they liked. There was no such thing as syndication in Britain at the time, because there were only 3 TV channels, BBC1, BBC2, and their rival ITV. The BBC didn't foresee the home video market.

There have now been 10 Doctors. Out of these, only episodes by the first 2 Doctors, William Hartnell (first shown 1963-1966) and Patrick Troughton (first shown 1966-1969) are missing, although a few episodes by the 3rd Doctor Jon Pertwee are available only in black and white or not in their original quality. Patrick Troughton has more episodes missing than William Hartnell.

It seems that these episodes were destroyed over a period of only a few years, ending in 1978. From 1978 onwards a campaign has been going on to recover and restore missing episodes. As this is nowhere near completion, it's pretty obvious that it's an impossible task, so the only way to restore these missing episodes is by using computer technology or to actually remake them. As technology has advanced considerably since the 1960's this seems to be quite possible so long as people have enough money and enthusiasm.