Author Topic: Silly Movie Sound effects  (Read 8253 times)

FNH

• Matross
  • F Napoleon H
    • Black Dog Of Doom
on: May 14, 2007, 07:23:32 PM
I often run movies on my computer while working on other things, with the effect being that a window obscures the movie and I only listen to the sound.

On a number of occassions I've heard "odd" things that shouldn't be there.  Here's two that spring to mind.

Jurassic Park : Nedry slips down a small cliff.  At the moment he first slips theres a subtle "whoop" sound effect.  Its the standard comedy sound effect you hear when someone slips on a banana skin.  It's very out of place in such a "serious" film.

Master and Commander : The french doctor hands the dead captains sword to Aubrey and as Aubrey takes it theres the sound of a sword being drawn from a scabbard, but the swords is only being touched by human hands.

Has anyone else got any?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 08:05:55 PM
In the Star Wars Special Edition Princess Leia suddenly sounds like she's shooting a magnum instead of a blaster.

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 11:24:32 AM
I remember seeing the old "Charlie's Angels" TV show and there would be times when a car would take off on a gravel road and they would overdub the "screeching tires on asphalt" sound.

And of course, there is no sound in space. The only movie I can think of that ever got that right was 2001.

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 03:51:41 PM
I remember seeing the old "Charlie's Angels" TV show and there would be times when a car would take off on a gravel road and they would overdub the "screeching tires on asphalt" sound.

And of course, there is no sound in space. The only movie I can think of that ever got that right was 2001.

In Firefly, there was no sound in space as far as I can recall.  I think Serenity had the space battle sounds and the lightning around Mr Universe's planet, but in the premiere of Firefly, as they were breaking into that derelict ship with the food in it, there was no sound.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 05:30:46 PM

In Firefly, there was no sound in space as far as I can recall.  I think Serenity had the space battle sounds and the lightning around Mr Universe's planet, but in the premiere of Firefly, as they were breaking into that derelict ship with the food in it, there was no sound.

Oh Man!
Here is ANOTHER person raving about that show I never saw.  I really need to go buy that series and watch it.
Soon.
:P

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

Koloth

• Extern
Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 12:04:52 PM
Everyone HAS to see Firefly. It is possibly my favourite TV show ever. It's just too cool to describe.

On the subject of annoying movie sound effect: flashing, and more importantly, BEEPING bugs (tracking devices) are extremely annoying. In fact, the way any remotely technological-looking thing on TV shows and movies always beeps in a silly way really annoys me. Even worse is when it's a more mundane article, like a computer or something that a lot of people use anyway, and they make it beep in a way we all know they don't. Very annoying.

Oh, and I agree about the sword-swooping-through-air sound any time anyone does anything with any bladed weapon. Very annoying also.

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 06:01:49 PM
I have a negative example. :)

I was watching an old silent movie (thanks, NetFlix!), and in it, Charlie Chaplin was on railroad tracks.  Behind him was the train, approaching rapidly, filling up the screen, belching smoke. But Chaplin stood there, oblivious, and only just managed to step off the tracks before the train barreled over the spot he'd been standing.

If you watch it, it makes a certain sort of sense to you, because you're "in the universe" where there is no sound.  After all, you can't hear it, and he DID have his back turned, so he couldn't SEE it....

But if you let yourself THINK about it a second, you realize...Chaplin would have heard that train! Just because we, the audience, couldn't didn't mean that the guy right there on the tracks couldn't.

It was very subtle and made me appreciate the delights of the silent genre in a way I had not before even thought of.

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 08:42:23 PM

On the subject of annoying movie sound effect: flashing, and more importantly, BEEPING bugs (tracking devices) are extremely annoying. In fact, the way any remotely technological-looking thing on TV shows and movies always beeps in a silly way really annoys me. Even worse is when it's a more mundane article, like a computer or something that a lot of people use anyway, and they make it beep in a way we all know they don't. Very annoying.

TV stations do this a lot with sports programming.  A couple of years ago, CBS had some REALLY annoying noises on their football broadcasts.  Now it's Fox that has all these beeps.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 04:40:17 PM
Car crashes: Any time any two cars make contact someone plays the sound track from a 16 car high-speed crash, even when showing a slow-motion recap, of cars moving at 5 miles an hour, as viewed from bank security camera that doesn't record sound.
The FOX network is the world's leading offender.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Michael

• Peltast
Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 08:22:50 PM
Oh Man!
Here is ANOTHER person raving about that show I never saw.  I really need to go buy that series and watch it.
Soon.

Firefly is the best thing ever.  Advise watching the series before the feature film.

This is more of a pet peeve, but have you ever noticed that almost every car that went over a cliff explodes in mid-air?  If cars where that explosive I don't think they could be legal.

Kronikarz

• Extern
Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 10:04:03 PM
Once you hear the Wilhelm scream... You start noticing it in a LOT of movies...

Speaking of Firefly, another Whedon piece also has no sound in space (I think): "Titan A.E.". A good movie BTW. You can notice some similarities between it and Firefly.

excuse my bad English -- not a native speaker
my name is pronounced "Crauhneeckaj" - rolling r, last j as in Jacques

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #11 on: May 27, 2007, 02:08:20 AM
Once you hear the Wilhelm scream... You start noticing it in a LOT of movies...

Speaking of Firefly, another Whedon piece also has no sound in space (I think): "Titan A.E.". A good movie BTW. You can notice some similarities between it and Firefly.

I did not know Whedon did that.  Go figure.

Michael

• Peltast
Reply #12 on: May 27, 2007, 03:03:42 AM
Ttian A.E.:

Directed by
Don Bluth   
Gary Goldman   
Art Vitello   

Writing credits
(WGA)

Hans Bauer   (story) and 
Randall McCormick   (story)

Ben Edlund   (screenplay) and 
John August   (screenplay) and 
Joss Whedon   (screenplay)

Any movie with 3 Directors and FIVE writers is going to suck like an Electrolux--sorry but something was seriously wrong with this picture to require so much re-write and re-shoot.