Author Topic: Award Eligible Escape Pod Fiction 2015  (Read 7112 times)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
on: November 02, 2015, 08:35:54 PM
So I made one of these posts last year to help Escape Artists in case they wanted to post a list of the award eligible fiction for last year.  Seemed to be useful, so I'm doing it again.
I'm starting a little earlier this time, since Nebula nomination season starts in mid-November.  Of course starting early means that the whole 2015 year hasn't gone by yet, so this is as yet an incomplete list.  I will try to check every week or two to update the list as new episodes go out through the end of the Hugo nomination season for stories that were first published in 2015.  

Feel free to suggest cases where I have incorrectly included a story or a story that I missed and I will try to update the original post to keep it accurate.

I also ask that if anyone uses this as a basis for publishing the list elsewhere, I would ask that you please mention my name as a contributor.

STORIES FIRST PUBLISHED IN ESCAPE POD IN 2015
“In Loco Parentis” by Andrea Phillips
“People of the Shell” by Brian Trent
“To the Knife-Cold Stars” by A. Merc Rustad
“Temporary Friends” by Caroline M. Yoachim
“Chimeras” by Julia Steinbacher
“Boris’s Bar” by Khaalidah Muhammad-Ali
“Blight” by Bonnie Jo Stufflebeam
“Beyond the Trenches We Lie” by A.T. Greenblatt
“Sounding the Fall” by Jei D. Marcade
 “The Last Unenlightened Man” by MK Hobson (in EA October 2015 Metacast Part 3)
"Broken" by Jason Kimble
"The Lone and Level Sands" by Marco Panessa
"Adaptation and Predation" by Auston Habershaw

STORIES FIRST PUBLISHED ELSEWHERE IN 2015, BUT REPRINTED IN ESCAPE POD AFTER THAT (WHEN NOMINATING, SHOULD MARK THE ORIGINAL PUBLISHER)
<None yet, leaving this as a placeholder in case some arise later>

"Windows" by Beth Goder
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 02:59:02 PM by Unblinking »

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 08:38:13 PM
Other categories EP has eligibility for:

SEMIPROZINE
The rules are a bit confusing over the differences between fancast/semiprozine.  But Escape Artists has asked that all their casts be considered as semiprozine for nominations, and I am inclined to follow their suggestion.

EDITORS, SHORT FORM
Norm Sherman
Mur Lafferty? (Not sure in this case, she was listed as "Editor at large" for much of the year, but I was never reeeaally clear on what that meant)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 09:12:36 PM by Unblinking »

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 02:34:14 PM
Mur Lafferty? (Not sure in this case, she was listed as "Editor at large" for much of the year, but I was never reeeaally clear on what that meant)

Thinking further, I think that Mur is eligible for sure.  She is editing Mothership Zeta now.  The requirement for the category is to have edited four issues of magazines or anthologies, but it doesn't have to be 4 of the same magazine or 4 in that year, so her longtime editing at Escape Pod reaches the requirement, and her editing at Mothership Zeta is in the appropriate year.

I don't think that Sunil Patel is eligible because I don't think that he's edited 4 issues of anything yet.  But next year he should be after 2 more issues of Mothership Zeta come out.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 03:03:53 PM

Thinking further, I think that Mur is eligible for sure.  She is editing Mothership Zeta now.  The requirement for the category is to have edited four issues of magazines or anthologies, but it doesn't have to be 4 of the same magazine or 4 in that year, so her longtime editing at Escape Pod reaches the requirement, and her editing at Mothership Zeta is in the appropriate year.

I don't think that Sunil Patel is eligible because I don't think that he's edited 4 issues of anything yet.  But next year he should be after 2 more issues of Mothership Zeta come out.

There's also Karen Bovenmyer who is responsible for the non-fiction.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 03:07:40 PM

There's also Karen Bovenmyer who is responsible for the non-fiction.

Probably also not eligible for this year unless she's edited 2 issues/anthologies of something else? 

(I think the category tends to be very fiction-focused, but I don't think that's actually a necessity)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 09:49:34 PM
Added "Broken" by Jason Kimble.  It didn't say in the episode notes that this was first in EP, but I couldn't find any record of it being published anywhere else first.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 04:10:38 PM
Added:

FIRST PUBLISHED IN ESCAPE POD:
"The Lone and Level Sands" by Marco Panessa
"Adaptation and Predation" by Auston Habershaw (I think?  it is helpful when the episodes say "Escape Pod original"  so I don't need to assume lack of evidence found means lack of evidence existing)

(Up to date to EP513)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 03:13:10 PM
Adding:

FIRST PUBLISHED IN ESCAPE POD IN 2015:
"M.F.ing Retroparty Freestyle" by Rich Larson (I think?)
"The Winter Festival" by Evan Berkow

(up to date to EP515, probably the last of the year, so that'll be the last of the EP originals for this award season, but maybe have some reprints eligible, will keep updating to end of Hugo nomination period)

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 02:37:25 AM
By request, I made this:

http://escape-artists.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Escape_Artists_award_eligible_stories_for_2015

I plan to go back and link to individual stories and flesh out bios for the eligible authors - I won't be offended if any of you beat me to that task!  (Hopefully, I'll be snowed in all weekend WITH power and internet, and I can work on that.)

(I may have missed a couple...)

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 08:51:36 PM
With the Hugo nomination deadline tomorrow I'm going to stop adding to the list in this thread. :)