Author Topic: Matt and the oscillating channel balance on the content warnings  (Read 6025 times)

Funkjunky

• Extern
I registered only to ask this: Please stop.

Thank you.

EDIT: Corrected Subject
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 04:11:45 PM by Funkjunky »

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 08:59:25 PM

Thank you.

I haven't noticed anything.  It would probably be more helpful for the producers if you elaborate on what you're hearing.

eytanz

Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 09:04:42 PM
Yeah, short snarky comments may be fun to post, but they're not actually useful feedback. A detailed explanation of what you think is wrong will go a long way towards actually addressing the issue.

Funkjunky

• Extern
Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 10:39:40 PM
On the intro, prior to the music, the audio balance has been switched back and forth between the left and right channels at the rate of about one cycle per second. With the longer intros in the last half dozen episodes or so it's been more prevalent but has been going on for a while.

If you listen on headphones it's particularity annoying.

Apologies for the lack of detail, I thought the subject line was sufficient.

EDIT: clarified which intro
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 10:41:23 PM by Funkjunky »

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 04:50:15 PM
You mean the ratings warning? That's Mat speaking, not Norm.

Funkjunky

• Extern
Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 04:57:25 PM
Whoops! Yes, Mat then.

Now that we've cleared up all the ambiguity, am I the only one to notice/be bothered by this?

eytanz

Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 05:10:56 PM
No, now that I understand what you're talking about - it drives me crazy every time I hear it. I had set up my podcatcher to always start the podcasts 30 seconds in, however, so I forgot about it.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 10:22:43 PM
Whoops! Yes, Mat then.

Now that we've cleared up all the ambiguity, am I the only one to notice/be bothered by this?

I thought he was doing it as a public service, because his un-panned voice is like the Siren and when we hear it in traffic, we might wreck.

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

matweller

• EA Staff
Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 03:07:13 AM
I'll take it under advisement for the occasional time that I speak longer as I have in two or three episodes now. Generally, though, if I'm on the beginning, it's just to tag a language warning and those last about 5 seconds, and I'll make no promises about those. :)

I mean, to be fair, I've formatted every pre-show warning I've done for years this way, and this is the second time it has come up. Actually, it used to be much worse. Last year I pulled way back on the amount of channel shift.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 03:30:28 PM by matweller »

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 08:47:17 PM
I honestly have no idea how I missed it for so long. :P It doesn't bother me unless it's a longer one as in recent episodes. I'm mostly just so glad to have the warning in the first place!

Funkjunky

• Extern
Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 02:35:27 PM
Last year I pulled way back on the amount of channel shift.

Just asking if you could pull back a little bit more :P

Research indicates that for every complaint expressed there are over 25 unregistered complaints[1]. Consider that it bothers some people enough to skip a portion of the podcast it might not be putting listeners in the right frame of mind as the first bit of audio?

[1] and 62% of stats are made up. Though this nugget came from https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hr005

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 04:02:48 PM

Thank you.

Hey funkjunky, any chance you could edit the original post's topic to accurately reflect the topic?  (That is, changing "Norm" to "Matt")  That way it will show up in the forum with that title

ElectroSquid

• Extern
Reply #12 on: December 25, 2015, 10:28:35 PM
Sounds better now, thanks. First time I heard it I nearly switched off straight away because it was making me feel queasy but decided to wait and see if the story was ok, luckily!