Author Topic: What is your favorite YA book?  (Read 37355 times)

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #25 on: February 08, 2016, 09:20:13 PM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the obvious Watership Down.

What's with that?  It's not my favorite book, but if you haven't read it, it's well worth a read.

Is Watership Down YA? Never would have occurred to me. See, I told you my meter is not calibrated. Granted, most of my impression is from the deeply traumatizing cartoon, but I'm confident I read this back in somewhere in either 8th or 9th grade. So I guess that's YA? Then again, that's about when I started reading horror.

Which then leads to: Is Stephen King YA? A compelling argument could be made for things like Carrie and Firestarter.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #26 on: February 09, 2016, 05:06:03 AM

What's with that?  It's not my favorite book, but if you haven't read it, it's well worth a read.

Is Watership Down YA? Never would have occurred to me. See, I told you my meter is not calibrated. Granted, most of my impression is from the deeply traumatizing cartoon, but I'm confident I read this back in somewhere in either 8th or 9th grade. So I guess that's YA? Then again, that's about when I started reading horror.

Which then leads to: Is Stephen King YA? A compelling argument could be made for things like Carrie and Firestarter.
Not just Carrie and Firestarter, but also The Shining (remember Danny is the main character), The Talisman, Eyes of the Dragon (written specifically as a children's story for his kids), Cycle of the Werewolf, the Dark Tower series, and most of his other stories all center around kids/teens as the central characters, at least for part of the story. 

Not-a-Robot

Reply #27 on: February 09, 2016, 12:42:34 PM

What's with that?  It's not my favorite book, but if you haven't read it, it's well worth a read.

I am not sure if Watership Down is YA, but I heard an interview with Richard Adams, and it is a story that he made for his daughters (children at the time).  It was rejected 15 or 16 time because publishing houses couldn't identify a target audience.  They said it was about bunnies, so it was obviously a children's book, but the content was geared towards teenagers and older, and anyone older than a child would never read a book about bunnies...

So, Richard Adam's original intent for the text was for younger audiences (his daughters), and he never intended to sell it.  He just wanted to get it published to give copies to his daughters.  But people of all ages bought and read the book.

This is what makes YA so hard to distinguish.

Another example is Micheal Ende (author of The Never Ending Story).  He never intended to write children's books.  His original hit Jim Knopf und Lukas der Lokomativführer was book that he wrote for himself.  It can be interpreted as a satire of his elementary education during Nazi times in Germany.  He picked a black lead character (one of the few in German literature in the 1960s) and wrote a whimsical fantasy adventure.  It ended up being a children's book and he unintentionally became a children's author.  He regretted being called a children's author and said that his books were intended for everyone.

So the line is very blurry.  

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #28 on: February 09, 2016, 01:38:39 PM
YA fiction is not an easily defined genre.

In my opinion, the themes, actions and experiences in the story are far more important a benchmark though than whether or not the main characters are young people. We actually have a story coming up where all of the characters are elderly, but, it still works for a YA audience.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #29 on: February 09, 2016, 05:21:14 PM

Not just Carrie and Firestarter, but also The Shining (remember Danny is the main character), The Talisman, Eyes of the Dragon (written specifically as a children's story for his kids), Cycle of the Werewolf, the Dark Tower series, and most of his other stories all center around kids/teens as the central characters, at least for part of the story. 

I'll grant you everything but the Shining. Sure, Danny's the protagonist, but thematically it swirls around Jack's anger, alcoholism, and inadequacies. My memory recalls Danny as being pretty passive, which is also a strike against it thematically as YA.

IT might be a better consideration thematically as it's about loss of innocence and the transition from youth and wonder to adulthood and banality.

In my opinion, the themes, actions and experiences in the story are far more important a benchmark though than whether or not the main characters are young people.

So, expanding on this, could you help me out and use something that is pretty universally considered YA (say, Harry Potter) and point out the key bullet points why? Then maybe a counter example of something that is considered YA but isn't? If you forced me to, I could answer the first but not the second.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

danooli

Reply #30 on: February 09, 2016, 06:07:43 PM

In my opinion, the themes, actions and experiences in the story are far more important a benchmark though than whether or not the main characters are young people.

So, expanding on this, could you help me out and use something that is pretty universally considered YA (say, Harry Potter) and point out the key bullet points why? Then maybe a counter example of something that is considered YA but isn't? If you forced me to, I could answer the first but not the second.

Again, these are my opinions, but I tend to view themes like the obvious coming-of-age, defining one's identity, path of learning, team building and the beginning of experimentation (including sexuality and drugs) as YA type themes.

In thinking about how to answer this question, I realize that a lot of the themes are common between YA and "adult" literature. Themes like death, addiction, bullying, friendship...all of these are prevalent in both, but I suppose it's the way each is dealt with that will land a piece on either side of this blurry divide.

I am trying now to think of an example for your second point. I think Lev Grossman's The Magicians may qualify. It's a story about a magic school, but there are some very dark elements.  Most of the characters are extremely flawed and experience some horrific things. That in and of itself doesn't make it not YA, but there is a level of cynicism that, to me, pushes it to an older audience. 

Maybe that's it. For me, if there is an "innocence" can be maintained through the end of the story, that is YA. I don't mean that characters can't grow, just not become too cynical.

I'm rambling, and will likely revisit this soon.

Witchlander

• Peltast
Reply #31 on: February 10, 2016, 12:22:42 AM

I've always seen Harry Potter put in the middle-grade category, actually. It's higher middle grade and Harry does get older, but when it came out the marketing category was pretty firmly MG.

I can't remember what YA author said she likes to write YA because it is about "firsts"--first love, first sex, first experience with death etc. I think it may have been Laurie Halse Anderson.

The YA editor Hadley Dyer said at a conference I attended that if Catcher in the Rye came out today, it would be marketed as YA and no one would blink an eye.

I actually read a book recently that is being marketed as YA and has no young adults in it! That was a first for me. It was Midwinterblood by Marcus Sedgwick. It's a pretty weird and wonderful book about vampires and reincarnation and fairy tales that takes place in many different time periods. I think it's being marketed as YA because Sedgwick is a YA author and that's where his fan base is. If a writer for adults wrote this book it would never be called YA.  Odd.

Not-a-Robot

Reply #32 on: February 11, 2016, 08:22:28 AM

I can't remember what YA author said she likes to write YA because it is about "firsts"--first love, first sex, first experience with death etc.

What about a book like The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls?  I know it's not speculative (but it's certainly weird), and it may not even be fiction (officially it's a memoir), but it is loaded with firsts. I don't know if it's too raw for YA. 

Opinions from those that have read it...   

Anthony Creamer

• Matross
Reply #33 on: February 16, 2016, 06:11:56 AM
Podkayne of Mars by Heinlein

I think I've read more Y/A books post 30 than pre 20. :)

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #34 on: February 22, 2016, 03:11:10 AM
Has anyone mentioned the Redwall series by Brian Jacques? Man, I love those books... I really enjoy the Castaways of the Flying Dutchman books as well.

Anthony Creamer

• Matross
Reply #35 on: February 22, 2016, 05:05:15 AM
Those redwall books were great books. Still are, I have them all on audio book I think I just listened to them last year.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #36 on: February 29, 2016, 11:13:03 PM
I haven't read any Redwall, but I enjoy this track by Kabuto the Python:

Kabuto the Python
"Verdauga Greeneyes"
The Almighty (2013)

And if it's a series about warrior cats, I'm finna look into it. For the same reason, I'm interested in the Warriors series.

(Verse 1 - Verdauga)
British motherfuckers bound to shout "the guy's barmey"
while I chill in Kotir with the Thousand Eye Army
Proudly I, couched with 5,000 fly mamis
tout divine powers, live rowdy, die calmly
Sigil flap stiched to my flags atop towers
Dynasty the peak of the cats in Mossflower
Burning oil plotting strategics at odd hours
with the otter clans trading me weapons for raw powder
Zweihander strapped to the flank, collecting tax for the ranks
I got some rats with some shanks that need to eat, kid
Listen, bastard I ain't, protect your asses
Give thanks that for a cat I'm a saint, we in agreement
A. I run my fortress with ease, I run the forest and trees, I thunder forcibly
B. You men are mice, though
I used to bump AOTP, I'm kinda playing
their beat and writing graciously
Steez is hella maestro

(Chorus)
And y'all rats, kid (rats, kid)
All up in my bubble talking that shit (that shit)
I knew that you were trouble but this cat kid (cat kid)
is a motherfucker you don't scrap with, motherfucker
Motherfucker it's Verdauga, the Lord of Kotir as I command it
It's Verdauga (the green-eyed bandit, can't stand it)
It's Verdauga with the Thousand Eye Army, god damn it,
It's Verdauga

(Verse 2 - Martin)
This shit is half fanfiction, other half grand diction
Wandering far from my home and clan, miss them
And remembering the smell of a rose is damn sickening
Ambushed, to the hilt of the blade my hand quickens
The Thousand Eyes glimmer twixt trees from all around me, surround me
Dope but outmatched, I'm beaten soundly
Verdauga Greeneyes decries and treats me lousy
I'm on it though, link with C.O.R.I.M. and meet the mousethief
'Scape into the forest, skip the gate and we run
Meet the skipper in alliance with some atheist nuns
and deep in Brockhall, the critters all are majorly bummed
It seems the coup of Tsarmina means the capers is done
But I ain't playing for fun, the name is Martin, son of Luke the legend
We can talk about your fucking vittles and your soup in heaven
Dip to Badger Mountain, I ain't tryna hear your stupid reverend
Re-forge my sword with a star that fell, a super weapon

(Chorus)

(Verse 3 - Bane)
Scimitar, scabbard and mind to use it promptly
In it for the cash and dash, finna be gone, see,
and pay a couple rabbity sops to do my laundry
with ale in my chalice and sipping beneath a palm tree
My men are threescore strong
with a couple dozen oak strongboxes in which we store arms
Known to Verdauga, now we fight for his daughter
because the cat done made a generous offer
The name is Bane and I march with my sixty-odd weasels on the woods
Doing evil for the good of my people with the goods
Verdauga would've won it, but his seed they never could
hence, deceit is what I would--less a eagle get my hood
Told her that I'm down for the cause, but i'm lying
Backstabber, strike with the speed of the sky's lighting
Fighter, I do it for me or I die trying
Damned to die proud, die free, die flying

(Chorus)

Thousand Eyes, march
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 11:14:59 PM by stePH »

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #37 on: March 01, 2016, 03:43:09 AM
There are definitely warrior cats, though they appear infrequently. Basically, the good guys are mice, otters, moles, badgers, hares, squirrels, etc. Some are peaceful while others are war-like, but all will step up and fight if necessary. The bad guys are rats, foxes, weasels, etc and are typically in roving war-like bands that want to take over Redwall Abbey and live the good life. Each book will take you about a day (or less) to read. PLEASE read at least the first 6-7 in order of publication, and forgive Redwall for a couple literary missteps that were corrected by the time he wrote Mossflower. Sorry, I'm a little obsessed. ::)

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #38 on: March 01, 2016, 06:43:57 PM
Thanks for the tip; I'll see if my library has ebook versions; failing that I'll get 'em on paper.

How about that hip-hop track? I'm not familiar with the series so I don't know the characters - now that you bring it up, I don't even know if Martin and Bane are cats or not.
But the track's still a banger  8)

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #39 on: March 03, 2016, 08:01:12 PM
The Martin verse is pretty spot on, so I am guessing the other two are as well. It's harder to remember the villains' individual names. So Bane may be a cat? But Martin the Warrior is THE Mouse, the most heroic of mice. :)

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #40 on: March 03, 2016, 08:36:11 PM
Maybe Bane is a weasel? I'll watch for him when I read the series.

The name is Bane and I march with my sixty-odd weasels on the woods
Doing evil for the good of my people with the goods

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #41 on: March 03, 2016, 09:01:36 PM
I got curious and looked him up. He's a fox who actually has a connection to Verdauga, a wildcat. Both appear in Mossflower, which is the second book (and one of my favorites).

BraxLimbo

• Palmer
Reply #42 on: March 22, 2016, 07:26:04 AM
Has anyone read the Miss Peregrine series by Ransom Riggs? It's considered YA right? And excited for the movie even with the issue with Emma's peculiarity.

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #43 on: March 22, 2016, 08:19:59 PM
Has anyone read the Miss Peregrine series by Ransom Riggs? It's considered YA right? And excited for the movie even with the issue with Emma's peculiarity.

I read the whole series, and emma's peculiarity about took me out of the movie trailer.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #44 on: March 24, 2016, 02:14:35 AM
I had to go look this up (thanks, Internet!), but I remember loving this series when I was a kid:

The Spaceship Under the Apple Tree, by Louis Slobodkin

Now I need to go re-read them to see how a 1962 book that I read in 1979 holds up in 2016...

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #45 on: March 24, 2016, 07:16:29 AM
almost forgot about the Tom Swift and Tom Swift, jr books.  Sci-fi and adventure, kind of along the lines of Johnny Quest cartoon.

SpareInch

• Hipparch
  • Will there be sugar after the rebellion?
Reply #46 on: March 24, 2016, 08:52:49 AM
Hey, do they have to be Spec-Fic YA books? If not, then I have fond memories of Robert Westall's The Machine Gunners. Rather than try to write one of my clumsy synopses, I'll just link to the Wikipedia page.

I remember this best for the BBC TV adaptation in the '80s, (That scene where Rudy turns himself in and tries to mediate between the kids and the Home Guard, and Chaz pulls the trigger... Still makes me shiver.) but I also read the book later, and a few years ago ny nephew read it for his school English class, so it is evidently still around.

And if books here do have to be speculative, I also remember reading a short ghost story by the same author and featuring the same protagonist called The Haunting of Chaz Mgill
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 08:54:35 AM by SpareInch »

Fresh slush - Shot this morning in the Vale of COW

Witchlander

• Peltast
Reply #47 on: April 05, 2016, 03:26:37 AM

Trying to get it read before the movie comes out. I'm about halfway through and liking it so far.

danooli

Reply #48 on: April 05, 2016, 11:29:12 AM
I've read the first, and did like it. I should get the next one...

ramonvine

• Extern
Reply #49 on: December 15, 2017, 01:22:44 AM
I love both Harry Potter and Percy Jackson series. I also tried Miss Peregrine's Home of Peculiar Children but the 3rd book is awful.