Author Topic: Escape Pod Flash Fiction Contest 2016 - Submission Rules  (Read 33547 times)

Anthony Creamer

• Matross
Reply #50 on: February 16, 2016, 06:00:37 AM
That made me laugh Thunderscreech.

I submitted a story and I was able to convince one of my coworkers to start writing again and submit one as well. So now we are eagerly awaiting the polling. I think it was more fun just pushing each other to complete something and having a few beers while we edited than it was actually pressing the submission button. On top of it we both left our endings slightly open so it was fun to take the other guys story and add to it as a writing exercise.

Thunderscreech

• Lochage
Reply #51 on: February 16, 2016, 01:24:09 PM
Right on!  I am looking forward to reading all the submissions, the Flash Contests are the parts of EA I look forward to more than anything.

Not-a-Robot

Reply #52 on: February 16, 2016, 01:54:22 PM
Right on!  I am looking forward to reading all the submissions, the Flash Contests are the parts of EA I look forward to more than anything.

Dude, right on.  High Five!

eytanz

Reply #53 on: February 16, 2016, 02:05:41 PM
Anyone who is planning to submit but hasn't yet - don't forget! The portal will close midnight tonight (EST)!

Moritz

• Lochage
Reply #54 on: February 16, 2016, 06:06:44 PM
The decision to only allow one submission per author was not an easy one for us to make - but our current goal is to run more frequent contests, and that means that we need to make sure that each contest proceeds relatively quickly and doesn't become a chore for the voters. One story per author seemed the best and fairest way to do so.

This sounds like the best decision to me, too. The last pseudopod contest was a bit of a chore and left me fatigued. I understand that you might have two or three great stories, but limiting it to one submission means you really have to pick the very best one!

South of No North

• Matross
  • Oneironaut and Alchymist
Reply #55 on: February 16, 2016, 06:47:44 PM
The decision to only allow one submission per author was not an easy one for us to make - but our current goal is to run more frequent contests, and that means that we need to make sure that each contest proceeds relatively quickly and doesn't become a chore for the voters. One story per author seemed the best and fairest way to do so.

This sounds like the best decision to me, too. The last pseudopod contest was a bit of a chore and left me fatigued. I understand that you might have two or three great stories, but limiting it to one submission means you really have to pick the very best one!

I understand the reasons and they make sense. It was exhausting sticking through to the end for the last contest.
However, with such gold to pick from ;)...it is like having to decide which child you love the most. ::) Like Sophie's Choice only harder. :'(

"Yes, of course I can blame you. Without them, where would all of us outlaws be? What would we have? Only a lawless paradise...and paradise is a bore. Violence without violation is only noise heard by no one, the most horrendous sound in the universe." --The Chymist by Thomas Ligotti

Thunderscreech

• Lochage
Reply #56 on: February 16, 2016, 07:00:45 PM
I wish I'd been clever enough to write multiple stories and pick, that would have made so much more sense.  

Hey, I could be efficient about it too so that the un-used ones weren't wasted.  Pod Castle contest?  Throw in a dragon.  Pseudopod?  My spaceship has, uh, a literal 'blood' drive.  Yeah, that's it, the engine runs on blood.  PS nobody can use that idea now patent pending patent pending patent pending patent pending.

Anthony Creamer

• Matross
Reply #57 on: February 16, 2016, 07:49:14 PM
However, if it had a Vulcan blood drive it wouldn't be a copy right infringement (at least not of your concept, hehe) and you could submit to the next escape pod contest after traveling into the future using said drive.

Not-a-Robot

Reply #58 on: February 16, 2016, 10:02:47 PM
I wish I'd been clever enough to write multiple stories and pick, that would have made so much more sense.  

Hey, I could be efficient about it too so that the un-used ones weren't wasted.  Pod Castle contest?  Throw in a dragon.  Pseudopod?  My spaceship has, uh, a literal 'blood' drive.  Yeah, that's it, the engine runs on blood.  PS nobody can use that idea now patent pending patent pending patent pending patent pending.

I threw my unused one up in the crit group.  When it's done with revision, it's going to another market.  There are plenty of places looking for flash.

DetectiveFork

• Extern
Reply #59 on: February 17, 2016, 02:04:06 PM
I'm new to this, so I'm not certain how the contest works. Does Escape Pod vote internally or do forum members vote for their favorites?

SpareInch

• Hipparch
  • Will there be sugar after the rebellion?
Reply #60 on: February 17, 2016, 02:42:35 PM
I'm new to this, so I'm not certain how the contest works. Does Escape Pod vote internally or do forum members vote for their favorites?

You can see how it works if you look at the completed contests. The stories will be posted in a series of groups , with forum polls where we can all vote. There will be at least 3 rounds I imagine, and the top 3 stories from the final poll will be the ones that go onto the podcast.

It's the forum members who decide the winners, not the editors. :D

Fresh slush - Shot this morning in the Vale of COW

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #61 on: February 17, 2016, 03:55:10 PM
Forum members vote :-) and, welcome!

Thunderscreech

• Lochage
Reply #62 on: February 17, 2016, 03:58:07 PM
If you're new, it's considered polite to vote for my stories in all contests.  You can tell because they've got that 'well, at least he tried' quality.

Not-a-Robot

Reply #63 on: February 17, 2016, 06:14:59 PM

All forum members can vote.  There are a couple of cavats to be careful of:

1) It's anonymous, so if you give away which story is yours, you're disqualified

2) Mods are careful to check IPs (to make sure that no one is cheating), so if you have more than one person using your computer, notify a mod beforehand

eytanz

Reply #64 on: February 17, 2016, 07:20:36 PM
I'm going to post the full rules over the weekend. I'll also send them by email to all the authors, so that those who aren't forum members will know what's going on.

In case anyone is curious at this point, we had 133 submissions, which is pretty decent given the short lead time to this contest. I'm currently thinking the first round will consist of 12 groups of 11 stories each (one will have 12)

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #65 on: February 17, 2016, 07:49:06 PM

In case anyone is curious at this point, we had 133 submissions, which is pretty decent given the short lead time to this contest.

Nice! It should also be a little less taxing than 212 stories.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Anthony Creamer

• Matross
Reply #66 on: February 17, 2016, 08:51:46 PM
Forum members vote in their favorites from each round

Not-a-Robot

Reply #67 on: February 17, 2016, 10:55:25 PM
I'm going to post the full rules over the weekend. I'll also send them by email to all the authors, so that those who aren't forum members will know what's going on.

In case anyone is curious at this point, we had 133 submissions, which is pretty decent given the short lead time to this contest. I'm currently thinking the first round will consist of 12 groups of 11 stories each (one will have 12)

When is the estimated launch date?

eytanz

Reply #68 on: February 17, 2016, 10:56:50 PM
If all goes well, March 1st.

Not-a-Robot

Reply #69 on: February 17, 2016, 11:03:08 PM
If all goes well, March 1st.

Damn, it's a leap year.  One more day of waiting  >:( >:( >:(

Moritz

• Lochage
Reply #70 on: February 18, 2016, 05:25:33 PM
I'll also send them by email to all the authors, so that those who aren't forum members will know what's going on.

This makes a lot of sense, given that in the past contests there were people who submitted something and didn't know what happened next because they weren't active forum members.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #71 on: February 19, 2016, 01:22:38 AM
If you just want the links to previous contest winners, they are on the wiki page, here.

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Not-a-Robot

Reply #72 on: February 19, 2016, 09:33:12 AM
In case anyone is curious at this point, we had 133 submissions.

Funny.

I have a rule that I worked out.  Take the number of submission grinder reports, multiply by 5 and you have the real number of submission.  This has worked pretty well for me for most markets where editors have announce the total submission numbers

Escape Pod FCC = 26 x 5 =  130

Pseudopod FCC didn't follow this rule at all... there were only 15 submission reports.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #73 on: February 20, 2016, 08:55:35 PM
Pseudopod FCC didn't follow this rule at all... there were only 15 submission reports.

We're a reclusive, shadowy bunch.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

kcain

• Extern
    • The Dark Fiction of Kenneth W. Cain
Reply #74 on: February 20, 2016, 09:42:18 PM
Sounds great.