Author Topic: PC400, Giant Episode: Night at the Opera  (Read 11255 times)

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #25 on: February 18, 2016, 01:59:08 AM
I started listening to "The Element of Fire" by Martha Wells because of this story. It's set in the same world :-)
So far, so good!

I just finished it. An excellent story.

Science means that not all dreams can come true

Lionman

• Peltast
  • Next time, I'll just let sleeping dogs lie.
    • The Practice of IT.
Reply #26 on: February 19, 2016, 05:40:56 AM
Overall I kinda liked this story.  My only nagging concern is that it feels like in the end, it was too well wrapped up with a little bow, like a 60-minute TV episode without lots to lead us into the next episode.  Which, by the way, I would be interested in, as the world seemed intriguing and would like to leave me thinking the author has much more richness that could be shared about it.

Failure is an event, not a person.

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #27 on: February 26, 2016, 07:16:01 PM
Congratulations on reaching episode 400! May there be 400 and more yet to come. :) I've added several of Martha Wells' kindle books to my wishlist so I don't forget about them. Thanks for pointing me in that direction!

I really enjoyed this story, and the full cast reading helped a lot with keeping characters straight. I was definitely wanting more by the end, but it wasn't a terrible place to stop and I'm just looking forward to those other stories that much more.

shanehalbach

• Matross
  • Clockwork Lasercorn
    • shanehalbach.com
Reply #28 on: March 18, 2016, 03:08:37 AM
I listen to a lot of audio fiction, so guessing the narrators was trivial (I bet I guessed most of them before the story even started). Except for Nicolas...who the heck could it be? It was driving me crazy!

Then I get to the big reveal of names at the end and I was like, "How the heck was I supposed to guess that??" A dirty trick is what that was.

It speaks volumes for this story that all of the above didn't totally kick me out of it; I got entranced enough not to be too distracted trying to figure out who Nicolas was!

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #29 on: April 19, 2016, 09:57:52 PM
Just finished reading The Death of the Necromancer, and now I want to go back and listen to this again.

Science means that not all dreams can come true