Author Topic: would this story fit in EP? maybe PP?  (Read 4872 times)

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
on: June 25, 2007, 12:00:53 PM
So I have this story that uses sf/f/horror elements in the same way that "How to Talk to Girls at Parties" uses SF elements -- they're present, but the crux of the story is about the people in it, not the sf/f/h elements themselves.  The story is about some people who LARP Vampire: the Masquerade.  It's really about relationships, because I love writing about relationships, but it's based on the group I used to LARP with.  (go ahead, laugh; I'll wait)

Basically, the story is: the girl who runs the LARP is in an unsatisfying relationship, and learns a lot more about one of the other guys in the LARP than she planned, and sort of has a crush on him as a result.  It's got some humor in it -- at least, I think it's funny, but then, I wrote it -- and some decent descriptions of LARPing and V:tM, which fulfills the sf/f/h requirement.  Or does it?

Based on that precis, do you think it would be worth submitting to EP/PP?

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 03:13:31 PM
I know Pseudopod's run at least one story that has to do with role-playing.  Since it's V:tM, I'd say submit it there if there's some horror/supernatural element in it.  That's just my 2 cents, though.  Good luck!  :)

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 04:06:41 PM
Well, I just reread it and was trying to make cuts but regrettably I don't think the story would really work right if I cut it enough to fit EP's 5000-6000-word guidelines.

I have a lot of trouble writing short stories.  Most of mine are 10k-15k words.  Ah well.  I'll probably post it on my LJ and drop a link somewhere on the forums though.

Here it is on the LJ.  Six parts.  Enjoy.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 05:02:06 PM by Listener »

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 05:57:42 AM
Read part one, I liked it!  I dont think it would be right for EP or PP, but I can see why it might be.  Either way, great story, I'll have to read the other parts later!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

BlairHippo

• Peltast
    • The Blair Hippo Project
Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 04:18:09 PM
Well, I just reread it and was trying to make cuts but regrettably I don't think the story would really work right if I cut it enough to fit EP's 5000-6000-word guidelines.

I have a lot of trouble writing short stories.  Most of mine are 10k-15k words.  Ah well.  I'll probably post it on my LJ and drop a link somewhere on the forums though.

If you're looking for feedback I'd be happy to give you some, but be warned that a lot of markets will treat posting the story to a public web forum (like your LJ) as prior publication.  Some (like Baen's Universe) actually have policies that reflect the reality of modern technology and don't care if you put a story in your blog prior to sending it to them, others (like Escape Pod) don't much care about the story's publication history in general.  But if you still hope to sell this one, you may have just damaged your chances here.   :(

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 08:42:02 PM

If you're looking for feedback I'd be happy to give you some, but be warned that a lot of markets will treat posting the story to a public web forum (like your LJ) as prior publication.  Some (like Baen's Universe) actually have policies that reflect the reality of modern technology and don't care if you put a story in your blog prior to sending it to them, others (like Escape Pod) don't much care about the story's publication history in general.  But if you still hope to sell this one, you may have just damaged your chances here.   :(

If you want to leave feedback, that's fine.  I probably won't ever be able to sell this story... it's not genre-specific enough to fit any market I can think of.