Author Topic: Trying to find some episodes; 'matchstick' about drug use an classism. 2010ish  (Read 2960 times)

elyneara

• Extern
I hope this is the right place for this. I am almost sure that this story was featured on Escape Pod, though I suppose it might have been on a sister channel. I listened to the podcast a lot in the early 2010 range, give or take a year? One episode had a one-off story about a woman who was upper-middle class, a teenager I think, and recreationally took a drug called 'match' or 'matchstick' and go clubbing. Later on, she needed to get a day-job and give up on college. It drew parallels between recreational drugs and business-acceptable 'drugs' like coffee. A commentary on drugs and classism.

This story has been haunting me lately and I have been trying to track it down, but just searching 'match' or 'matchstick' has proven too generic to turn up anything helpful.

A less pressing story in my mind is from the same time frame, about a woman who carved gems to create dreams for her customers. She became obsessed with a woman and the woman's image kept slipping into the gems she cut on commission.

Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to provide, I wish I could remember more and I will add anything if it comes back to me. 

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
I think the second one might be this one by Amal El-Mohtar: http://podcastle.org/2011/01/11/podcastle-139-to-follow-the-waves/

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Little M@tch Girl: http://escapepod.org/2010/07/15/ep249-little-mtch-girl/

It wasn’t that Em disapproved of drug use, you just had to be savvy about which drugs you took. Back before she had to get a day job, she was a M@tch girl, much to the delight of the guys on the club scene. M@tch wasn’t a wimpy drug, but it didn’t turn you into a murderous street zombie either. It was also expensive — a designer “where it’s @!” drug — that the Tweakers couldn’t afford anyway.

(At a guess...)

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

elyneara

• Extern
Yes! thank you both so much