Author Topic: Artemis Rising Discussion  (Read 31646 times)

Father Beast

• Lochage
Reply #75 on: April 29, 2016, 11:52:08 AM

Let us not indulge the trolls. I'd have to check, but I'd wager a week's pay that we've had that trifecta many times before when Mur was the editor--if not every time there was a female MC in the story--but people only got butthurt about it when we started putting four together once per year and calling it an event.

Exactly!

When there is a "Something History Month", some people inevitably ask, "When Is European history month?" To which, it is responded, "the rest of the year".

At Escape Artists, there has never been a practice of exclusiving out a particular gender. We have always enjoyed a variety of authors, hosts and narrators. Well, except for the Artemis rising event, I suppose.

So when people ask, "When is the next Artemis Rising event?", you can answer, "Pretty Often, in fact we had a story this week which fits."

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #76 on: April 29, 2016, 04:45:23 PM
Woman Author
Woman Narrator
Woman Hosting the podcast

Yup, it's an Artemis Rising show!

I wonder how many episodes of various shows have all men author, narrator, host.  And how often those episodes are singled out for it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 04:47:55 PM by Unblinking »

Not-a-Robot

Reply #77 on: April 29, 2016, 06:30:00 PM
Every year there are 1.3-4.3 million and up to 142,000 deaths from cholera (WHO). CHOLERA!! Talk about preventable disease.

There are over 1.5 million Syrian civil war refugees residing in Lebanon. A country with the population of only 5 million (that's almost ⅓ of the population think about it. It would be like an inflix of 100 million refugees in the US over 2 years)

When these people risk everything (how many have drown?) and travel through Turkey and over mediterranian to Greece, they are sent back to Turkey.

And you are complaining about the injustice of a FREE podcast that exclude males to highlight female authors on 1/12th of thier episodes? Really? I mean, really? Who cares. 1/12th is a fraction so small, that in order to demonstrate it to you on my digits, I need to take off a shoe.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 07:00:53 PM by Not-a-Robot »

Thunderscreech

• Lochage
Reply #78 on: April 30, 2016, 12:40:15 AM
I've pasted this excellent quote before and I'll paste it again:

When You’re Accustomed to Privilege, Equality Feels Like Oppression.

Some of the posts here, especially the 'call-out' that brings us here today...  dang.  The above really nails it, it's the only explanation I can think of for why more women in Science Fiction is so upsetting to some folks.

Father Beast

• Lochage
Reply #79 on: April 30, 2016, 12:35:36 PM

Let us not indulge the trolls. I'd have to check, but I'd wager a week's pay that we've had that trifecta many times before when Mur was the editor--if not every time there was a female MC in the story--but people only got butthurt about it when we started putting four together once per year and calling it an event.

I wonder if people would also get butthurt if there was an event with all male author, narrator, and host. Come to think of it, I wonder how often that happens. I know it happened a lot at the beginning when Steve hosted almost all the shows and narrated almost all the shows. But say since Mur became editor?

Not that it matters, I personally don't pay attention to that sort of thing. Except when people make an issue of it.

Thunderscreech

• Lochage
Reply #80 on: April 30, 2016, 02:34:44 PM
Not that it matters, I personally don't pay attention to that sort of thing. Except when people make an issue of it.
Respectfully, I don't understand this; aren't you the one making the issue of it?

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #81 on: May 02, 2016, 01:16:45 PM
Is it coincidence that this topic was resurrected the week that the Hugo finalists are announced?

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #82 on: May 02, 2016, 04:05:07 PM
Respectfully, I don't understand this; aren't you the one making the issue of it?

Also confused here. It seemed that you pointed something out, and then said that the something you pointed out is something you would never notice.  Maybe I'm grossly misunderstanding what you were trying to say?

Thunderscreech

• Lochage
Reply #83 on: May 02, 2016, 05:32:47 PM
Also confused here. It seemed that you pointed something out, and then said that the something you pointed out is something you would never notice.  Maybe I'm grossly misunderstanding what you were trying to say?
Clarifying, the 'you' here is Father Beast, not me via the post you're most recently quoting, right?  :)

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #84 on: May 02, 2016, 07:12:09 PM
Clarifying, the 'you' here is Father Beast, not me via the post you're most recently quoting, right?  :)

You mind if we just call you Bruce in order to keep things clear?

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Thunderscreech

• Lochage
Reply #85 on: May 02, 2016, 10:00:59 PM

You mind if we just call you Bruce in order to keep things clear?
G'day, Bruce!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #86 on: May 03, 2016, 01:43:32 PM
Also confused here. It seemed that you pointed something out, and then said that the something you pointed out is something you would never notice.  Maybe I'm grossly misunderstanding what you were trying to say?
Clarifying, the 'you' here is Father Beast, not me via the post you're most recently quoting, right?  :)

Haha, yes, sorry.  The "Also confused here" was voicing agreement with the "you" that is Thunderscreech, but the "It seemed that you pointed something out" was voicing confusion regarding the "you" that is Father Beast.  

Looking at my last post, it would have been difficult to be more confusing in so few characters.

ETA:  Since I was talking about being confused, it was all just performance art in order to better demonstrate exactly how confused I was!  Yeah, that's totally it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 01:51:36 PM by Unblinking »