Author Topic: CoW Ep. 161: The Rum Cake Runner  (Read 2180 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
on: March 24, 2016, 04:44:58 PM
Episode 161: The Rum Cake Runner by Jessi Cole Jackson

Narrated by Michelle Ristuccia
Originally published by Crossed Genres Magazine December 2013

Warning: This episode contains the single use of a racial slur. Listen to the commentary after the story for a discussion of why the term is present.

The Rum Cake Runner, by Jessi Cole Jackson, was originally published by Crossed Genres Magazine in December 2013. Jessi lives with her husband in the prettiest part of New Jersey, though she’s not from there. By day she builds costumes for a Tony-award winning theatre. By night she writes stories, questionable poetry and lots of abandoned outlines. She’s currently up to her elbows dressing a show and revising a YA novel. When she’s not working she enjoys cooking, reading, and exploring local farms. You can read more about her sometimes exciting (but mostly just normal) life at her website.

The story is read for you by Michelle Ristuccia. Michelle has read for us before, with the excellent Black Hole Sun[/url] by Alethea Kontis. Michelle enjoys slowing down time in the middle of the night to read and review speculative fiction, because sleeping offspring are the best motivation. You can find out more about her rabid love of SFF, podcasting, and raising future geeklings at her blog, Waking Dreams, stalk her on Twitter, or read her reviews at Tangent Online.

Sitting on the threadbare sagging couch cushion, Nesi tied her Sneaks’ laces tight, double knotting the loops. The apartment was warm, as it always was, and smelled sweet, as it always did.
“And pick up those vanilla beans before making your rounds. It’s important.” Uncle Toni said. Her head whipped up.
“No way! I’d have to go to the market with a full load.”
He just shrugged. “If you go after your deliveries again today, Rohit will have closed up shop again and we need it for tonight. No arguments.”
“The mutts’ll sniff me out for sure! I’ll be a wafting target.” Nesi said.

Click here to listen to Episode 161
Click here to read the text of the story

Tags: Cast of Wonders, chase, criminal activity, family, Jessi Cole Jackson, Michelle Ristuccia, responsibility, Science Fiction, smuggling, sugar, Young Adult fiction

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 01:55:58 PM
I would totally be a customer for black market pastries.  A true dystopia if I've ever seen one!