Author Topic: I'm having serious difficulty downloading three of the Hugo stories.  (Read 7984 times)

Jim Crow

• Extern
  • Death Magic Voodoo
I tend to listen to Escape Pod in spurts - and I'm now catching up on the stories that I missed during my brief hiatus of not-listening.

I'm having serious difficulties downloading three of the Hugo stories, specifically Impossible Dreams, The House Beyond the Sky, and Eight Episodes.  I've been downloading them for what seems like three or four days now.  Is there a problem with these files?  I'm nearly devastated, because the Hugo stories were some of my favorites from last year's Escape Pod stuff.  Is there an issue with these, or is it only me having the problem?

joebwan

• Extern
I'm new the forums, but have been listening for the past few days and just ordered the archive CDs.  I've been having trouble downloading Impossible Dreams and The House Beyond Your Sky as well.  They seem to download in small spurts (10-20k) and then stall for a while.

Russell Nash

Steve has mentioned that the webhost has been a little problematic recently, because of the spikes in bandwidth that we demand.  If you're having trouble with something, I'd  say first thing to do is just give it a rest for a couple of days and then try again.  Steve's working on this problem already.

Jim Crow

• Extern
  • Death Magic Voodoo
Well, we're up to more than a week now of trying to download these three episodes. 

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Well, we're up to more than a week now of trying to download these three episodes. 

I've changed the location I'm hosting them from, so you shouldn't still be having this problem.  If you still can't download them, please send me an e-mail at editor@escapepod.org and let me know what software client you're using (Web browser, iTunes, etc.) and specifically what happens when you try.  We'll see what we can do to fix things.  Thanks.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

nghtchld

• Extern
Hoi Ely, Love Escapepod, trying to catch up on some past eps as well as the mentioned problematic higo eps and frankly i can't download ANY eps at the moment. I can (eventually) make a connection but then it either churns endlessly at virtually a zero transfer rate or simply times out.

Up until last week or ten days ago it was flawless, now useless. I think there must be a problem with the server?

Using Opera 9, win2k both as RSS feeder and downloader but have tried all kinds of other methods with same result, link used eg:

http://escapepod.org/podpress_trac/feed/220/0/EP106_TheHouseBeyondYourSky.mp3

Cheers, good luck, keep up the good work, Stuart

PS here in Brisbane, Australia

Jim Crow

• Extern
  • Death Magic Voodoo
I'm using iTunes, and through diligent downloading attempts over the past week and a half, I have finally finished the downloads for The House Beyond Your Sky, and I'm 1mb away from finishing Eight Episodes.  But I've still got about 8mb left on Impossible Dreams, and the thought of spending another week working on it is frustrating.

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
You are able to go to the escapepod.org site and simply download the file:
http://escapepod.org/2007/05/10/ep105-impossible-dreams/

Scroll down to the Sponsor pic (dreaming mind) and just under that you'd see Impossible Dreams [47:15m]: Hide Player | Play in Popup | Download (a big number)

Right click "Download" and choose Save Target As...

This way you get the direct download and you don't have to go through stinky iTunes.

Russell Nash

You are able to go to the escapepod.org site and simply download the file:
http://escapepod.org/2007/05/10/ep105-impossible-dreams/

Scroll down to the Sponsor pic (dreaming mind) and just under that you'd see Impossible Dreams [47:15m]: Hide Player | Play in Popup | Download (a big number)

Right click "Download" and choose Save Target As...

This way you get the direct download and you don't have to go through stinky iTunes.

This hasn't been an iTunes problem. It's been a hosting problem.  If the blog link works, that's a new situation.  Jim Crow has already said he tried that too.

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Sorry, I should have made it clear, I used the steps above this morning and it worked fine for me....

Jim Crow

• Extern
  • Death Magic Voodoo
Yeah, I tried direct from the site last week. Trying it again now, and still getting painfully slow downloading times.  *shrug*

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Okay, I just moved the files and link pointers to a different domain.  Did that fix it?

I'm really sorry about the problems, folks.  Dreamhost decided to put a throttle on our bandwidth some weeks back, and despite a lot of back-and-forth with them and assurances that they were now giving me more bandwidth than almost any of their customers, the domain they throttled (www.escapeartists.info) now appears to be permanently broken.  I'm just giving up on it and I'll have to start spreading my files around more.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Jim Crow

• Extern
  • Death Magic Voodoo
It's working much much much better now.  Thanks for helping me enjoy!  I do love the Hugo stories, and I wouldn't be satisfied until I had them all.