Author Topic: EP115: Conversations With and About My Electric Toothbrush  (Read 50186 times)

Loz

• Lochage
    • Blah Flowers
Reply #75 on: October 01, 2007, 06:43:08 PM
Use the floss Luke!

VBurn

• Peltast
  • I am just an egg
Reply #76 on: October 02, 2007, 04:03:12 PM
I am ready for more smart bathroom fixtures, like a sink that knows I want hot water to wash with, cold water to drink/brush teeth, a self-propelled brush, a shower like one of the automatic car washes, a toliet that auto wipes and flushes.  If they could make something that drags me out of bed in the morning then does all this stuff while I am still asleep, all the better.  I don't want to have to think until I am merging on to the Interstate!

goatkeeper

Reply #77 on: October 04, 2007, 05:36:59 AM
haha!  Amen vburn, amen!

Russell Nash

Reply #78 on: October 04, 2007, 07:07:24 AM
I am ready for more smart bathroom fixtures, like a sink that knows I want hot water to wash with, cold water to drink/brush teeth, a self-propelled brush, a shower like one of the automatic car washes, a toliet that auto wipes and flushes.  If they could make something that drags me out of bed in the morning then does all this stuff while I am still asleep, all the better.  I don't want to have to think until I am merging on to the Interstate!

And I thought I was extravagant, because I wanted a shower, where I could set the temperature and it wouldn't change while I was under the water.

Gaijin51

• Extern
Reply #79 on: October 16, 2007, 08:50:27 AM
This was probably my favorite episode so far (of those I had the time to to listen to).

Would be great to have an encore from Mr. Zumsteg.

The reading was really great too. A real home run.

ConstantIrritant

• Extern
Reply #80 on: January 22, 2008, 09:41:24 PM
Sorry to be late to the party, but I'm trying to catch up on a backlog of episodes.

So far, this is the only story I've kept after listening to it.  Very funny, well read, and just a blast. 

CI

Don't blink. Blink and you're dead. Don't turn your back, don't look away, and don't blink.  Good luck.

DDog

• Matross
    • Twitter
Reply #81 on: January 23, 2008, 08:12:35 AM
I don't think I've commented on this one before, but I heard about EscapePod from Steve Eley doing shows with Minx on Poly Weekly, finally decided to check it out, and this was the first story I listened to. I was about to take my test to finally get my driver's license (turned out my dad's plates were expired so I had to reschedule) and I listened to this story in the waiting room. I laughed, a lot, and got hooked on EP right there.

Ask a Tranny Podcast
"Watching someone bootstrap themselves into sentience is the most science fiction thing you can do." -wintermute

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #82 on: January 25, 2008, 01:52:00 AM
I wasn't going to comment on this because it was so long past, but since it got bumped, I want to chime in. 

I thought this was one of the funniest SF stories I've ever heard or read.  Though I think my family thought I'd lost it, because I kept cracking up while cleaning the kitchen and listening to my iPod. (The iPod, by the way, would really rather be a toaster...)

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

Russell Nash

Reply #83 on: January 25, 2008, 09:36:08 AM
I wasn't going to comment on this because it was so long past, but since it got bumped, I want to chime in. 

Folks,  If there is a thread (episode comments or otherwise) that you have something to add to, make your comment.  We don't have out of control traffic here, so we can deal with older threads popping back up.  What better place to have zombie threads than at EP?

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #84 on: January 25, 2008, 12:21:28 PM
What better place to have zombie threads than at EP?
Pseudopod.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

Russell Nash

Reply #85 on: January 25, 2008, 02:05:20 PM
What better place to have zombie threads than at EP?
Pseudopod.

The Problem is that you put them there and then they start looking for brains and wander to the other sections.  If you just let them loose in the forums as a whole, it's far easier to keep them from leaving the site.  They have a tendancy to end up in the Gallimaufry section.  Plenty of good eating in there.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #86 on: March 16, 2008, 02:53:01 AM
I KAN HAZ BRAIIINZZ??

:-X

As much fun as it was to finally get around to listening to the story (Jared was perfect for the part... he made the tooth frothing milk brusher sound, I dunno... like I would have expected!)  I think I had even more fun reading the comments.

But... don't mind me, I'm just wandering back through time...

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #87 on: March 20, 2008, 06:04:34 PM
I listened to this story before I joined the forums, and so I didn't resurrect this thread, either, but I'm glad someone did. I loved this story. I didn't have high hopes from the title. I need to listen to it again. I think this was the first EP I didn't delete from my iPod (but I'm not sure... it may have been Frankie the Spook that was the first keeper).

Russell Nash

Reply #88 on: March 20, 2008, 06:58:01 PM
I listened to this story before I joined the forums, and so I didn't resurrect this thread, either, but I'm glad someone did. I loved this story. I didn't have high hopes from the title. I need to listen to it again. I think this was the first EP I didn't delete from my iPod (but I'm not sure... it may have been Frankie the Spook that was the first keeper).

Quick note on threadromancy:  I'm all for it.  I think if you have something to say about a story you should put it up.  If someone doesn't want to go back to an old story, they don't have to quick the link.  Also  in the other boards I would rather have an older thread resurrected than have a new thread on the same topic started.

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #89 on: March 20, 2008, 08:06:51 PM
this was an awesome story and one of the about 10 or so that I have kept after listening to it

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

I am not sure if Life is passing me by or running me over

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #90 on: March 20, 2008, 09:25:10 PM

Quick note on threadromancy:  I'm all for it.  I think if you have something to say about a story you should put it up.  If someone doesn't want to go back to an old story, they don't have to quick the link.  Also  in the other boards I would rather have an older thread resurrected than have a new thread on the same topic started.
I know, But I figured it might annoy some of the long-timers. But I really do appreciate your attitude towards "threadromancy."  :)

jodymonster

• Palmer
Reply #91 on: March 21, 2008, 02:31:45 AM
I'm also glad this thread showed up.  For me this is a favorite, maybe because it was the first escape pod I heard that made me laugh out loud ("I do own you!").  Great story, great reading.  I would love more similar stories. 

"If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up." -Hunter S. Thompson

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #92 on: March 21, 2008, 05:09:12 AM
After realizing that my hard drive is about to explode from over cramming it with stuff, i have had to break down and start deleting some EP episodes (hey, i can allways re-download or listen online, right?)  This story is one im definately keeping, i loved it.  Jared's reading was perfect for the part of the toothbrush.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

El Barto

• Peltast
Reply #93 on: October 13, 2009, 03:12:46 AM
I loved this story.   Thought it was hilarious, perfectly read, and it made me think.   Bravo!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #94 on: February 24, 2010, 03:44:25 PM
Cute, fun, had some memorable lines.  My particular favorite:
Toothbrush:  You don't own me!
Narrator:  Yes I do!

But Douglas Adams and others have done Real People Personalities so well that it's hard to come up with anything that feels fresh.

Douglas

• Extern
Reply #95 on: February 10, 2015, 11:24:34 PM
It's been nearly 8 years since I originally heard Conversations With & About My Electric Toothbrush here on Escape Pod.

Back then, I was being considered for a job that I ultimately didn't get because the powers that be couldn't see me as capable of anything else beyond the career path that I was currently on.   It was frustrating.   I wanted to do more.  Be more!  Derek’s story resonated with me for that reason.    I'm not a notable writer, but I AM a filmmaker, and even then I knew I wanted to attempt to visualize this story.

So here we are. With Derek's blessing, Conversations With My Electric Toothbrush has completed photography and begun the post production process.  I'm probably writing about this a bit too early but I can’t help but share my excitement for something that was introduced to me right here at Escape Pod.   There’s still lots of work to do, but we're hoping we can do Derek's story the justice it deserves. 

The film stars Casey Graf, Michael Swaim, Heidi Heaslet and Daminh Tran. 

Much love to you, Escapodians!

Sincerely,

Douglas Nabors

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #96 on: February 13, 2015, 02:21:09 PM
Awesome!  When you have something to link to, please do so!

UnfulredJohnson

• Palmer
Reply #97 on: February 19, 2015, 01:40:38 AM
Ha! Great Story. Man, shame I missed the steve elley boat, he seemed like a fun guy.

Also great story and, I saw this about the movie on twitter, best of luck with it.

Douglas

• Extern
Reply #98 on: February 19, 2015, 07:58:18 PM
we are in the editing process right now. There's so much good science fiction short form content out that the bar is definitely set high for us.  the project is on several social media platforms if you'd like to check that stuff out. You can search by googling intellibrush! 

Don't lament the loss of Steve. Escape pod is in such good hands currently and all his commentary lives forever in the archives. 

Douglas

• Extern
Reply #99 on: March 03, 2015, 10:09:13 PM
the website for the film is here. There's a field at the bottom to sign up to be notified when the project is complete.
www.Intellibrush.com