Author Topic: CoW Ep. 207: Millions Times Eight  (Read 3391 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
on: May 31, 2016, 05:22:18 PM
Episode 207: Millions Times Eight by Jake Walters

Phobia Warning: Spiders
• Narrated by Jason Arquin
• Audio production by Jeremy Carter
A Cast of Wonders original!

Jake Walters has been published in several places, including once before here at Cast of Wonders. He teaches English in Transylvania, and does a passable impression of Bruce Springsteen.

The story is narrated by the host of the Overcast podcast, Jason Arquin. J.S. Arquin is a writer, actor, musician, stiltwalker, and avid bicyclist living in Portland, Oregon. When not doing any of those things, he spends an unhealthy amount of his time and money producing and narrating fantastic stories on his own speculative fiction podcast.

Mick looked at the letter to his parents sitting on the kitchen table.  It was from the school.  Outside, he heard the sounds of children laughing and a ball bouncing on the street pavement.  It was late August, and in just a week, their summer freedom was going to be erased.  Mick was starting seventh grade.

The letter had been opened and was sitting unfolded beside a pile of crumbs, likely left by his older brother, Chaz, before he ran outside to meet up with his own high school friends.  There was nothing unusual about receiving a letter from the school at about this time in the summer; a welcome back, hope everything is okay and that your summer treated you well and you had a chance to rest for the big year coming up kind of statement from the superintendent. 

Click here to listen to Episode 207
Click here to read the text of the story

Tags: Tags: buses, Cast of Wonders, Horror, Jake Walters, Jason Arquin, Jeremy Carter, school, spiders, Young Adult fiction

Obleo21

• Matross
Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 06:12:53 PM
I mostly really enjoyed this story. Mick sounded like a middle schooler, acted and responded like one, and was a true hero finding courage to protect the kids on the bus. The story was well written, fun, silly, and narrated very well. Then it got to the end and...*spoiler*...they abruptly all die? A bus full of little kids just die and it's over? What?!?

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 12:48:25 AM
I believe this counts as a delightful conte cruel. Fun stuff!

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 01:56:39 PM
Hmmmm....  I liked all the inherent weirdness, but... yeah, I didn't find it really satisfying for the bus full of kids to die, The End.