Author Topic: CoW Ep. 211: Indian Rope Trick  (Read 3745 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
on: August 07, 2016, 06:55:29 PM
Episode 211: Indian Rope Trick by James Fitzsimmons

• Narrated by Kaushik Narasimhan
• Audio production by Jeremy Carter
• Originally appeared in Bards and Sages Quarterly (April 2012)

James Fitzsimmons holds a BA in English from California State University, Los Angeles where he studied literature and creative writing. He works as a computer programmer and lives in Long Beach CA. His interests include music, theater, musical theater, and fiction. James says that writing a computer program is much like writing a story, but hopes his stories have fewer bugs!

Kaushik Narasimhan is a management consultant by day, writer by night and psychonaut every weekend. Follow him online or on Twitter.

"Careful not to drop that on your head," Edson Vole warned, pointing to the huge beveled mirror leaning against the wall. "Unless, of course, you know the Indian rope trick."

Sanjeev Ravi laughed, clipping a tape measure onto his utility belt. "No such thing, Mr. Vole," he said in a gentle lilt.  

"That mirror weighs a ton," Edson said. "Couldn't lift that even during my days in New Delhi. Back in an hour."

Click here to listen to Episode 211
Click here to read the text of the story

Tags: care, Cast of Wonders, handyman, James Fitzsimmons, Jeremy Carter, Kaushik Narasimhan, levitation, magic, super powers, superhero, telepathy, trust, Young Adult fiction

jimfitzsimmons

• Extern
Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 08:26:21 PM
I wrote this story based on a handyman who has done a lot of home improvement work for me. One day he installed a tall kitchen pantry like the one in the story, but without any assistance. It seemed impossible but I was at work and did not watch him. Then he installed a telephone shelf on a wall, but the shelf has no visible means of support -- no brackets, braces, and no marks on the other side of the wall. The shelf seems to hang in mid air. You can place all your weight on the shelf it and it won't move. He won't tell me how he did it because he knows it drives me crazy. He is not Indian but I insist he knows levitation. He says there's no such thing but I know better.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 02:38:18 PM
I wrote this story based on a handyman who has done a lot of home improvement work for me. One day he installed a tall kitchen pantry like the one in the story, but without any assistance. It seemed impossible but I was at work and did not watch him. Then he installed a telephone shelf on a wall, but the shelf has no visible means of support -- no brackets, braces, and no marks on the other side of the wall. The shelf seems to hang in mid air. You can place all your weight on the shelf it and it won't move. He won't tell me how he did it because he knows it drives me crazy. He is not Indian but I insist he knows levitation. He says there's no such thing but I know better.

Fitting origin tale of the story.  I was very glad that he could use his ability help this couple in need!